Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Flying with firearms - experiences at large vs. small airports?

Stories about security agents in transit hacking off locks to open cases made me decide not to remove the bolt on my Springfield. It would undoubtedly get "lost" by some anti fanatic who undoubtedly would not have enough on the ball to remove the bolt him/herself.

I've been flying with my guns on hunting trips for the past 22 years. Generally domestic flights are easier than international. I've flown out of Bozeman, Denver, Atlanta, Anchorage, and L.A. which was the worst as I had to pick up my gun case at the domestic terminal, then take it outside several blocks to the international terminal.

Reading through the previous 16 replies, there are many good points. I'll try to summarize and add my thoughts or experiences:

1. Check the airlines website on flying with them with firearms.
2. TSA rules specify that firearms must be in a hard sided locked case. DO NOT PUT TSA LOCKS ON THE FIREARMS CASE. If TSA wants in your case they will ask you to open it. I carry extra TSA locks and extra non TSA locks. I've flown with a hard plastic case, but like my Cabela's welded aluminum case better. I also remove the bolt from my rifle and put it in a plastic bag in my firearm case.
3. Some foreign countries require ammo to be in a separate locked container and NOT in your firearm case. I've always put my ammo in a separate TSA locked container in my checked bag. There is an 11 pound weight limit on ammo. NO ammo or gun part can be in your carry on bag. Ammo MUST be in fiber or plastic ammo boxes, and not loose or in clips or in ammo carriers that you wear on your belt.
4. Check your firearm at the counter where you check in for your flight. The agent will give you a firearm declaration slip that you sign and put INSIDE your firearm case right there. In Denver an airport employee will take your firearm case and you to TSA, then that employee will take your firearm to the baggage conveyor.
5. Book your firearm and baggage to your final major airline destination.
6. Gun cases are usually considered oversize baggage and are picked up at a different location than your other baggage. Sometimes they ask for your baggage claim stub and your I.D., other times your gun case is just sitting there.
7.. Give your self a little extra time both to check in your firearm and to pick it up.

I've been flying with my guns on hunting trips for the past 22 years. Generally domestic flights are easier than international. I've flown out of Bozeman, Denver, Atlanta, Anchorage, and L.A. which was the worst as I had to pick up my gun case at the domestic terminal, then take it outside several blocks to the international terminal.

Reading through the previous 16 replies, there are many good points. I'll try to summarize and add my thoughts or experiences:

1. Check the airlines website on flying with them with firearms.
2. TSA rules specify that firearms must be in a hard sided locked case. DO NOT PUT TSA LOCKS ON THE FIREARMS CASE. If TSA wants in your case they will ask you to open it. I carry extra TSA locks and extra non TSA locks. I've flown with a hard plastic case, but like my Cabela's welded aluminum case better. I also remove the bolt from my rifle and put it in a plastic bag in my firearm case.
3. Some foreign countries require ammo to be in a separate locked container and NOT in your firearm case. I've always put my ammo in a separate TSA locked container in my checked bag. There is an 11 pound weight limit on ammo. NO ammo or gun part can be in your carry on bag. Ammo MUST be in fiber or plastic ammo boxes, and not loose or in clips or in ammo carriers that you wear on your belt.
4. Check your firearm at the counter where you check in for your flight. The agent will give you a firearm declaration slip that you sign and put INSIDE your firearm case right there. In Denver an airport employee will take your firearm case and you to TSA, then that employee will take your firearm to the baggage conveyor.
5. Book your firearm and baggage to your final major airline destination.
6. Gun cases are usually considered oversize baggage and are picked up at a different location than your other baggage. Sometimes they ask for your baggage claim stub and your I.D., other times your gun case is just sitting there.
7.. Give your self a little extra time both to check in your firearm and to pick it up.
All very good points, especially #6. This is another reason I use a gun case that really doesn't look the part (Cabelas aluminum cases were made by Kalispel). At Pearson in Toronto the guns are thrown out at a discreet oversize baggage room where no one is in attendance or can even see what's going on. Anyone could grab my gun and walk out the door! In America that might not be surprising but up here the govt has revoked the right to ship arms for a major courier that was simply dropping guns at the door. In Europe and Africa the guns must be handed off to passenger and ID checked. I like that idea a lot. I mean the airlines charge a special expensive handling fee for guns so they should be giving them special handling, right? Well, you'd think so anyway. I would advise going to oversize baggage area FIRST to watch for your gun. Much less likely anyone will steal your other luggage off the carousel. And it's just clothes and other crap.

Edit: Another tip passed on to me by a frequent flier to Africa: Don't use a gun case with gun company or safari outfit logos pasted on it. Again, no point in giving some anti gun/hunting baggage/security person a target to abuse. Gun and ammo cases are tagged by airline as carrying those items but usually rather discretely. That guy even advised against traveling in camo, especially through Europe. Flying to Alaska you might be suspicious if NOT traveling in camo.

Last edited:
I always choose a small airport if I can. Shorter lines and less irate TSA agents (hopefully). That means more time for you to get your gun declared and checked. Just make sure it’s locked up so that no one can get their hand in it no matter what. I had to run out and get some locks AND drill holes into a pistol case, once, because the locks in the factory lock points on the case still allowed the case to be flexed enough that the TSA agent could slide their hand in. Glad I got to the airport very early for that one!

TSA, Airport Police, CBP must have the ability to access all enclosed boxes in today's society and threat conditions. To think not... you must believe everyone resides in Disneyland - on a great day!
Domestic and international groups seek to harm us however possible. Expose a weakness and it will be used.

That said, whether it's Boss Hog, or fresh blood straight from the academy, people are people. One would expect professionalism to be a constant.

Smaller airports seem more detailed/have lower volume, it's extra by the book. Also depends if they have a x-ray or not. But ultimately the carrier seems play the biggest role I've found.
100%

Best experience flying with firearms - DIA, all about efficiency

Worst

1. Ketchikan, total nightmare TSA were a bunch of tool bags, my rifle didn't make the flight... 2hrs early to the airport 🤦‍♂️
2. Kalispell/ Bozeman both use rent a cop TSA and they totally suck. Take a xanax before dealing with them...

Boston/Anchorage were both easy as well.

I would absolutely go to the biggest highest traffic airport possible, small airports are a PITA.

Laramie is small and easy to go through with firearms. Probably raise more suspicion traveling without a gun here.

Roanoke, VA (larger, but still fairly small) acted like they had never seen a gun before.

...Worst...

2. Kalispell/ Bozeman both use rent a cop TSA and they totally suck. Take a xanax before dealing with them...
I flew out of Bozeman to Alaska last month.

At the check-in counter I signed the firearm declaration slip and put in my firearm case, the ticket agent then put my firearm case on the conveyor and told me to wait for TSA to clear it. In less than 5 minutes the agent gave me a thumbs up and I was done.

I have flown out of AVL (Asheville NC), and also GSP (Greenville SC). Both of those were easy to fly from. I will say, when flying with firearms, I plan an extra 30 minutes-1 hour, in addition to the normal early arrival times. I usually fly out of the Carolinas into Montana, and I usually choose to fly out on an early morning flight. That has worked easiest for me.
This is good to year. I usually drive out West to hunt, but I am right down the road from GSP, and plan on doing more flying in my future to add more hunting time to my Western hunts.

This is good to year. I usually drive out West to hunt, but I am right down the road from GSP, and plan on doing more flying in my future to add more hunting time to my Western hunts.
Wayne, I have gotten to where I like to drive it a lot more. If I end up having another hunt where there are not multiple things I could hunt, I will fly again. I bought a vehicle especially for these long hunts, and so I enjoy carrying rifle/shotguns and going after multiple species, including upland birds. GSP is pretty easy. Feel free to PM if you wish. GSP to me was easier than AVL, and I am local to AVL.

I flew out of Bozeman to Alaska last month.

At the check-in counter I signed the firearm declaration slip and put in my firearm case, the ticket agent then put my firearm case on the conveyor and told me to wait for TSA to clear it. In less than 5 minutes the agent gave me a thumbs up and I was done.
... didn't like shotgun chokes loose in the case
... didn't like bolt out
... locks, wanted TSA
...didn't like ammo in case
... didn't like ammo in checked bag
... buddy got yelled at for having choke tubes in his carry-on
... lighters in pocket (which is legal)
... bag of M&Ms in my carry-on resulted in completely taking apart my bag

Every time I fly in or out of Bozeman it's something.

Don't use a gun case with gun company or safari outfit logos pasted on it. Again, no point in giving some anti gun/hunting baggage/security person a target to abuse. Gun and ammo cases are tagged by airline as carrying those items but usually rather discretely. That guy even advised against traveling in camo, especially through Europe. Flying to Alaska you might be suspicious if NOT traveling in camo.
I heard of some folks in NYC who put music instrument manufacturer stickers on their hard gun cases so they don't attract extra attention when walking from their apartment to their car with a firearm (despite having the proper permits to possess said firearm).

In summary:

-Arrive 90-120 minutes early for your flight.
-Make sure your firearm is cleared and safe
-Have a hard case with two locks
-Be polite and stick around the baggage check area until your firearm has been inspected and cleared by TSA
-Ensure ammo is in factory boxes
-Make sure you keep your baggage ticket
-Use a soft case as part of the padding material inside your hard case for easier mobility once you get where you're going

Some great advice in this thread, with some bad advice sprinkled in for good measure... Guess you get what you pay for. ;)

I have found DEN has been more of a PITA than any other airport that I have used. They seem to really look at your gun case and make sure it is up to their standards. I have had things flagged at DEN about a locked gun or Bow case that a Muzzle loader was inside over ABQ, PHX, BIL or MKE. I once had to go to the airport mall to buy a TSA cable lock because the lady could pry the bow case open just enough to get her hand inside. I guess she didn't like when I challenged her to actually completely remove the muzzle loader.... LOL. Long story short, when checking a weapon make sure to give yourself an extra hour at check in in case they want to open your case or do not like something.

... didn't like shotgun chokes loose in the case
... didn't like bolt out
... locks, wanted TSA
...didn't like ammo in case
... didn't like ammo in checked bag
... buddy got yelled at for having choke tubes in his carry-on
... lighters in pocket (which is legal)
... bag of M&Ms in my carry-on resulted in completely taking apart my bag

Every time I fly in or out of Bozeman it's something.
I guess that some people are just lucky or just un-lucky.

Since 1999 I've flown on 13 hunts, 11 international and the last 2 were domestic to Alaska. I've never had any of the problems that you listed.
...I've always taken the bolts out of my rifles and put them in a plastic bag in my rifle case.
...I've always put non-TSA locks on my gun case
...I've always put my ammo (all reloads) in plastic cartridge cases inside a plastic box, locked with a TSA lock
...That plastic ammo box has always been in my checked bag.
...I've never carried any gun part in my carry on bag
...My last few trips I've had a bag of Trail Mix with almond M&Ms in my carry on with no problems.

The only problems that I've ever had was:
...Having a small bag of commercial biltong (jerky) that I bought in a gift store in the Joberg airport, and
...Taking too many cartridges (60 when you're only allowed 40) into Mozambique, and then after having Moz Customs hold 20 of the cartridges for me and gave them back to me when I flew home, I had too many cartridges to take home.

c

I have found DEN has been more of a PITA than any other airport that I have used. They seem to really look at your gun case and make sure it is up to their standards. I have had things flagged at DEN about a locked gun or Bow case that a Muzzle loader was inside over ABQ, PHX, BIL or MKE. I once had to go to the airport mall to buy a TSA cable lock because the lady could pry the bow case open just enough to get her hand inside. I guess she didn't like when I challenged her to actually completely remove the muzzle loader.... LOL. Long story short, when checking a weapon make sure to give yourself an extra hour at check in in case they want to open your case or do not like something.

It truly just depends on the gate agent and TSA personnel you get. They are *supposed* to open and inspect every case with firearms, but when I dropped my case off Thursday flying back from WY to VA, the gate agent called TSA to come check it and I heard them say "Yeah we can't get there, just send it through." She told me to lock it there, and it stayed locked with two Masterlock pad locks until I got home. Nobody from TSA ever saw the inside of the case.

Every airline I have flown on will not allow ammo in the gun case. Again, check the website for airline(s) and airports. And for good reason I think. Gun cases are usually easily identified. The last thing I want is for some underpaid disgruntled baggage handler going postal in the airport using a stolen gun loaded up with ammo readily at hand. If the kook has to search out the ammo box, it may mitigate damage (though the airlines labeling ammo containers seems to defeat this safety measure). The story above about a gun case being intentionally destroyed by baggage handlers is also not unheard of. It's why I fly with a gun case that isn't shaped like a gun (especially through Europe).

When I arrived at Joberg in August, some dandy dressed Yankee trying to leave the country was arguing with the police inspector and insisting that it was his right to carry live ammo in his gun case, going to sic his outfitter on the policeman, blah, blah. The police sgt smiled and politely pointed to the garbage can. My helper from the PH Association just rolled his eyes. There's one hunter who undoubtedly missed his connection and/or lost his very expensive rifle in transit.
In Canada (and probably other countries) ammo can't be in the case with the gun. In the USA it's perfectly fine

@SRW there are a lot of good answers here - I would mostly look at which airport probably sees the most hunter and checked firearm traffic. You could try to call the local agents and ask, or local cargo facility, for the airline your using and ask how often they see hunters and ask for tips.
I'm lucky, flying from Alaska is easy - and on the other side Seattle, though not the most gun friendly location itself, is very used to fire arms flying because of so many hunters coming to Alaska yearly. So that is my $.02.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back