Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Flying with firearms - experiences at large vs. small airports?

Every airline I have flown on will not allow ammo in the gun case. Again, check the website for airline(s) and airports. And for good reason I think. Gun cases are usually easily identified. The last thing I want is for some underpaid disgruntled baggage handler going postal in the airport using a stolen gun loaded up with ammo readily at hand. If the kook has to search out the ammo box, it may mitigate damage (though the airlines labeling ammo containers seems to defeat this safety measure). The story above about a gun case being intentionally destroyed by baggage handlers is also not unheard of. It's why I fly with a gun case that isn't shaped like a gun (especially through Europe).

When I arrived at Joberg in August, some dandy dressed Yankee trying to leave the country was arguing with the police inspector and insisting that it was his right to carry live ammo in his gun case, going to sic his outfitter on the policeman, blah, blah. The police sgt smiled and politely pointed to the garbage can. My helper from the PH Association just rolled his eyes. There's one hunter who undoubtedly missed his connection and/or lost his very expensive rifle in transit.
Iinteresting - I was advised in Alaska to put my gun and ammo in the same case as they are 'guaranteed' to make your flight.
*EDIT* it has to be in the original manufacture packaging or an aftermarket plastic/metal case designed to hold bullets. No loose ammo.

^^Correct

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirementsgoverning the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline
Another tip, I cram heavier soft stuff like ziplock food bags (for weight) and clothes all around the gun (for cushion). And always underwear around the gun to subtly discourage TSA from getting handsy, ha
I saw a tip - guy took a hard sided metal Case - removed all the foam - and then packed his cloths, ammo, glass, rifle and couple other items in his gun case as the padding. Got it to his weight limit. Then for the rest of his light gear just threw it in a duffle bag/tote and then used his hunting pack as his carry on. Thats my plan this month going from Alaska to Washington!

Iinteresting - I was advised in Alaska to put my gun and ammo in the same case as they are 'guaranteed' to make your flight.
*EDIT* it has to be in the original manufacture packaging or an aftermarket plastic/metal case designed to hold bullets. No loose ammo.
Lol guns regularly do not make your flight just FYI.

I figured. I've been lucky - thats what the ticket agents here in Alaska told me is all. But obviously anything can happen.
There have been a couple of threads/comments on the topic.

Coming back from Ketchikan, my rifle was 'lost' and showed up in Denver several days later. They brought it to my house and just left it next to the door 🤦‍♂️

There are a number of posts here and on other forums about TSA SEA-TAC messing with guns, cutting off locks and spinning scope dials.

I saw a tip - guy took a hard sided metal Case - removed all the foam - and then packed his cloths, ammo, glass, rifle and couple other items in his gun case as the padding. Got it to his weight limit. Then for the rest of his light gear just threw it in a duffle bag/tote and then used his hunting pack as his carry on. Thats my plan this month going from Alaska to Washington!
Sounds like quite the mess when you have to open for inspection. Also, when they x-ray the case (and they always do) and see it full of all sorts of weird stuff, they're likely to take everything out and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Anything out of the ordinary throws up a red flag.

One Africa safari outfit recommends reloads always have the same factory brass as the box they're in (e.g. reloaded Federal brass in a factory Federal box). Apparently some inspection folks can't fully grasp the concept of reloading. They panic when they see ammo that's all mixed up. Think it's some kind of homemade bombs. He also says to avoid reloading military brass with cryptic marking (which will never match up to any factory box).

@wllm1313 I know stuff does happen for sure and I'm sure it is with every airport, every airline etc. I've been lucky - and I've heard a lot of positive about SEA-TAC, that unfortunate about your bad experience and sorry you had to deal with that. There are problems and problem people everywhere. I'm shocked about them just leaving your gun by your door though! Was that more recent or in the past? That's just lazy and irresponsible unfortunately on their part.

@OntarioHunter It worked for my on my last trip with no issues. When I opened the case I had the rifle and any other potentially issues on top - he poked and prodded the clothes underneath and then let me go on my way. My case has 4 lock points too so that hasn't been an issue. The video I saw was a guide who travels to Alaska a lot. But obviously if you get some TSA agent or somebody with a bone to pick it could probably be pretty awful. I'll be using this when I go down to Washington in a couple weeks so hopefully I wont have any issues!

@wllm1313 I know stuff does happen for sure and I'm sure it is with every airport, every airline etc. I've been lucky - and I've heard a lot of positive about SEA-TAC, that unfortunate about your bad experience and sorry you had to deal with that. There are problems and problem people everywhere. I'm shocked about them just leaving your gun by your door though! Was that more recent or in the past? That's just lazy and irresponsible unfortunately on their part.

That's crazy. You would think with all the modern crap going on they would have had to get a signature on something like that almost like a high value item. They want to see your ID to pickup at the baggage claim... why drop by a door. That's pretty terrible.
In Kalispell my buddies gun just came out on the conveyor with the rest of baggage... another hunt talker had a similar issue with a gun being left at the house can't remember who...

Generally speaking for how wigged out on the front end the airlines/TSA are with guns they are super lax on the back end.

Generally speaking for how wigged out on the front end the airlines/TSA are with guns they are super lax on the back end
Yeah, and they sure are efficient at grabbing those extra gun handling fees on the front end too. Take the money and run.

This is a pretty awesome idea. Could save a fair bit on baggage fees.

Wayne, I have gotten to where I like to drive it a lot more. If I end up having another hunt where there are not multiple things I could hunt, I will fly again. I bought a vehicle especially for these long hunts, and so I enjoy carrying rifle/shotguns and going after multiple species, including upland birds. GSP is pretty easy. Feel free to PM if you wish. GSP to me was easier than AVL, and I am local to AVL.
Thats good to hear about GSP. And thank you for the help. I will keep you in mind. I will probably try and do a long weekend WY pronghorn hunt next year, and I will definitely want to fly for that trip.

I’ve never had an issue. Declare it, Sign the slip that says it’s unloaded and that’s that.

In Canada, ammo must be in a separate checked bag.
TSA allows ammo in the gun case as long as it’s in factory boxes or containers made for transporting ammo (you can’t have loose ammo).
I think most airlines in the states follow the TSA on this and allow it in the gun case. I have done it on Allegiant, United, Delta, Alaskan with no problems.

I have an SKB double rifle case, so I’ll often pack it with other stuff. Down coat, down pants, extra socks etc. I often do this instead of use the extra foam insert the case came with. It’s that much less stuff in another bag. Usually they’ll just scan it but on my last trip they did open the case and physically looked under the lid foam. Maybe I’ve always just been lucky but the TSA agents I’ve had were either curious or excited about guns and hunting. Never had a bad experience with one.
I’ve had more issues with soap than with guns.

Last edited:
Use a good case. A couple years ago I flew home to Seattle from Fargo and the tsa agent commented how surprised he was at the number of people that will buy a $20 case to put a $2,000-$3,000 shotgun in the cargo hold of an airplane.

I've flown multiple times with firearms, Austin, Boise, Spokane, Portland, Houston, Panama City, and Pensacola - via SW, Alaska, and Delta...

All seemed to just follow the TSA rules. Always had 4 masterlocks filling each lock-hole in my case, signed the red and white sheet, had to open for TSA inspection, then closed and locked the case. I've been asked multiple times in each place to make sure I was the only person that had access to the key for the case - as in "No TSA Locks Allowed." I think if I flew on an airline demanding TSA locks, I'd also stick a couple florescent colored zip ties through the hole, that way I could prove that the case was opened once it was back in my possession. As many have stated, no loose ammo, but I would add I was allowed to have ammo stored in magazines as well, not just in manufacturer's box. Maybe I got away with something...

When I fly up to AK next summer, I'm pretty sure I'll pull the foam out of my case, and use my clothes, waders, puffy jacket/pants, sleeping bag, pad etc. to pack the rifle/ammo in, then be able to stick my spotter, binos, and camera (the heavy and relatively delicate stuff) in my carry on. We (hunting partner and I) also plan on sharing duffle bags etc, but flying with our own individual rifle cases, that way if one doesn't show up we can still use the other. Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't.

Lots of correct suggestions to check the TSA and specific airline websites.

Just for personal reference, I have flown out of ATL on Delta and had no problem whatsoever. Go to the ticket counter and tell them that you have a firearm to declare. They'll give you a little pink form to fill out basically verifying that the gun is unloaded and ammo is in approved storage (original packaging or other approved container that keeps the ammo covered and separated from bumping into each other). Then they tell you to take the form and the gun over to a side office where the TSA Agent will ask you to open the case and place the signed pink form in the case. Then they will ask you to lock it up and they'll throw it on the belt and you're on your way. IIRC, I think they even put an extra zip tie in the hole with the lock just to add another layer of tamper detection. Return trip checking in at MSP was no issue either. When you get to your destination, just find the baggage office/counter and show them your ID and bag check stub and they bring it out to you.

The funny thing was that we put the gun on the Amtrak train with us in MSP going to MT. When we got to the train station in MT, I kept looking for the place to pick up 'special' baggage like at the airline. Ended up, they didn't care and just piled it all on a cart with the rest of the baggage where people descended like buzzards to get their bags. Sigh...

Lots of great guidance and advice here - thank you to all who took time to reply!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back