Flying with fishing rods

119bowhunter

Hello all,
I have booked a fishing trip to a fly-in outpost in north west Ontario for this summer, I have actually been on this same trip twice before but the last time I went was 2006 and I was 17 years old so I wasn't the one doing all the booking, we have already booked our cabin but I have been looking at tickets for our commercial flight (Atlanta-Winnipeg) and trying to decode the baggage restrictions as far as flying with full length fishing rods, I know when we went before that we flew with a rod tube with 2 piece fishing rods and it seemed like this was not a problem at all, however I no longer have any 2 piece rods and was wondering if anyone has had any experience flying with a 7 or 7.5 foot rod tube. Trying to determine if there is one airline better than another to book with, Air Canada and Delta seem to be the two options with the most flights available for our dates. I've read through both airlines baggage policies and there seems to be some conflicting information as to length limitations/oversize fees etc, I was just hoping someone with some personal experience flying fishing equipment recently might be able to chime in.

Also, it seems like most of the cheapest flights I have found involve flying one way with one airline and returning on another airline, I assume this would mean two different sets of regulations and size limitations, is it worth it to pay the extra money to fly round trip with the same airline to avoid this?
Thanks,
T.J.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back