Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

female hunters

huntme

me and my hunting partner and wife of quite a few years were having a disscussion the other day,about what calibure of rifle or pistole most women use while hunting or in the woods,camping,fishing,etc,so i ask the female hunter out there to help with our disscussion.
if you hunt what calibure rifle or pistole do you use?
my wife uses a 30-06 savage 110.
and she carries a dan wesson 357 while in the woods.:p

My wife will be using a .243 Winchester Ruger 77 Mark 2. I finally have convinced her to go hunting with me, and can hardly wait! She doesn't carry a handgun, but you got me thinking she might need to.

My wife has killed quite a few deer with her 25-06 Ruger M77 Mark II. Heck, my teen daughter even uses it and neither have any complaints of recoil. In my opinion, it is a great caliber.
I also agree with the .243 mentioned above!

My wife has shot a lot of game, including 2 B&C Awards book pronghorn, with a ruger #1 in 25/06.

In about a months time, she'll be in possession of a LH remington 700 that will be almost all custom...barrel, stock, trigger, etc. in 7mm-08.

My wife carries a Remington model 700 30-06 with Leupold VX-III 50 mil on it while rifle hunting. She mostly leaves the rifle at home now though as she is into bow hunting. While bow hunting she carries a rugar 357.

My wife usually shoots my Browning BAR 7mm mag. She has shot several deer with this as well as her old .50 call T/C.

My wife hunts with a custom.284 Win that she inherited from her Grandfather,the late great outdoor writer Clyde Ormond..oh and a beman pellet gun that she shoots pigeons with out the bedroom window that she chums in with cat food..

Last edited:
My wife carries either on of the 6.5x55 swedes, or a 243. She likes the 243 better, it doesn't weigh as much.

If I can get my wife to go hunting with me then she can use whatever gun she wants. Someday we'll get to hunt together again....someday.

I took my wife hunting pheasant in NE Colorado back in the early 70's and a careless hunter stuck a #4 pellet about an inch deep in her right thigh, as well as one cutting holes through the front of her jacket just barely missing her mammalia. Needless to say that was the last time I got her afield.

Wife has hunted with a few different guns. 7mm-sm, and my Savage 30-06, both have muzzle breaks, and other modifications to the rifle with EXT reticle. She carries a Springfield 40 XD. Her choice on the handgun as well. Hope she gets to get some more practice in sometime soon. We are going to see if she can get a pass to shoot a crossbow during a season other than Rifle in Nevada or California. Heard that there is something that may allow her to do so. She is unable to draw a bow, because of a shoulder injury.

My wife shoots .270 Browning Abolt most of the time but she shoots a .338 Browning Medallion at the bigger stuff. Neither have a brake. She carrys a Beretta .40 S&W when its not on her bedside table.

My wife shoots a 270 for big game, a 20 guage for upland birds, and a 12 guage for turkey. Here is a collage of some of her critters I made for her to put on her desk at work.

da05a309.jpg

My Aunt, before she passed on, took a lot of deer with a .308 Winchester model 88. Great post by the way!

Last edited:
I have been looking for guns for my wife for a while. It seems like every time I have the money a washer dryer dishwasher or some other high dollar item breaks and I end up spending the money there instead. I have it narrowed down to either a 308 or 7mm08. I still don't know what it will be I figure I'll see what is in stock when the time comes.

My wife shoots a Savage 7.08 for deer and antelope, a Weatherby Vangaurd .308 for elk with a youth stock. For upland birds she has a youth model 870 in 20 ga. For a pistol, she shoots a S&W 9 mm.

I have been looking for guns for my wife for a while. It seems like every time I have the money a washer dryer dishwasher or some other high dollar item breaks and I end up spending the money there instead. I have it narrowed down to either a 308 or 7mm08. I still don't know what it will be I figure I'll see what is in stock when the time comes.

i was surprised to find out savage is making a rifle designed for female hunters,and in calibures a women would want to shoot.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back