Best rifle options youth hunters

What hunting rifle would you all recommend for a youth hunter or a very small-framed person? I have 5 boys, and they are counting the days until they can begin hunting with me as well. My wife also would like to hunt with me, but she’s very tiny. My Howa .308 is too heavy and large for them. They struggle to see through the scope, place the rifle appropriately against their shoulders, and still reach the trigger. (Last I checked, all 3 of those things should be happening at the same time… 😅) I’m looking to get something for them that will be used mostly for deer hunting, but possibly for elk and bears. Any experience you have with good manufacturers, models, and calibers would be appreciated. We are mostly hunting in Northwest Montana with shorter shooting distances of 200 or less yards.

I bought a Ruger American compact in 7mm-08 for my boys. We’ll be using it on a tripod for a few years until they can properly handle it. Seems like a great gun though. It shot great right out of the box.

I love my Remingtons but if I was looking right now - another vote for Tikka T3x Compact .243, 7mm-08, .308

Tikka T3x Compact .223 shooting 77 TMKs suppressed with a SWFA 6x milquad reticle in mills with Unknown Munitions or Sportsmatch T084 rings.

It’s an ideal combination to shoot A LOT, an incredibly reliable platform and deadly on everything inside of 450 yds.

Many have shared their experiences here:

Smallest caliber legally allowed in a Tikka T3X compact, with the right bullet.

223 Rem shooting Black Hills 5.56 TMK factory ammo out my Tikka - close to 600yds. Zero felt recoil and ridiculously easy to shoot. Went 5 yds and piled up.

Tikka223Muley.jpg

I have been starting to think about this some as my oldest is now 7 and is small compared to his peers. I was thinking a chassis system could be the way to go since the length of pull could be made short and then increased as they grow and not replaced other than maybe the buttstock.

(I am using the XLR element 4 magnesium on my rifle and would probably just swap it around rather than buy another unless the kids get really committed to hunting or shooting down the road).

I don’t know what cartridge- but I would probably take the same approach and try to start with something that can keep working forever - thinking if one reloads they could have some lighter slower loads for the early years and then increase as appropriate.

I have been starting to think about this some as my oldest is now 7 and is small compared to his peers. I was thinking a chassis system could be the way to go since the length of pull could be made short and then increased as they grow and not replaced other than maybe the buttstock.

(I am using the XLR element 4 magnesium on my rifle and would probably just swap it around rather than buy another unless the kids get really committed to hunting or shooting down the road).

I don’t know what cartridge- but I would probably take the same approach and try to start with something that can keep working forever - thinking if one reloads they could have some lighter slower loads for the early years and then increase as appropriate.
My sons used the Tikka in an XLR Element Mag chassis. I have two so what I found worked best was to use the TR-2 adjustable buttstock without the folder and adjusted nearly all the way short. My kids are 80-95lbs sopping wet also. My youngest preferred the compact stock however.

I think that with the LOP spacers in the T3X compact stock and minimal cheek riser (get a smaller scope on as low rings as possible) you could match the XLR comfort. I prefer the XLR just so that they can shoot off tripods as many of our opportunities are not conducive to prone and they struggle to shoulder the rifle.

TikkaTripod.jpg

Cool, thanks for the info!

Yeah I was thinking the full arca rail and planning for tripod shots with small shooters would be even more beneficial than it is for me too.

Short answer is your AR-15 in 223 with 62gr Fusion if you need a blood trail or 77gr TMK if you don't. 6.5 Grendel is better, but not so much better on deer I'd go out of my way for it. A good trigger, quality 1-6x and adjustable stock are good to add if you don't have them. I load one and remove the mag to my pocket. Single shot.

Later when you are ready to start them hunting alone is when you buy rifle for them. There again, buy yourself a youth-stock 308-class that uses 120gr to 130gr rounds. It's yours because you put a removeable recoil pad on that you take off when wearing lots of clothes or letting the kid borrow it.

6.5G exit
IMG-20201017-200433337-1-2.jpg

6.5 Grendel and 6mm ARC are both impressive little rounds. I've been impressed with the Howa minis that have been through the shop.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back