Some help on shotgun inserts?

Calvoritter

First time threadmaker here so forgive me for any faux pas

So ive run into an issue. Strange happenings to be honest.

I was hoping on making a survival,100 yard max hunting gun from a single shot shotgun and some inserts. The problem ive ran into is a safety concern. The owner of Chazsell Inserts told me the best shotgun to use is one with an sb2 receiver iirc. I see a general shortage of simple single shotguns (five times fast) though and HAD (past tense) it narrowed down to Henry, Savage or Daly

So Henry customer service is horrific. The lady sounded cartoonishly bored of my question. When I got a Henry rep...he said he had no idea what shotgun inserts are and that means dont use it in a Henry. Ok whatever

Called savage and they knew what they were but couldent recvomend theirs for it. Cool

Chiappa mever even answered my call

The big argument is the use of high pressure ammo. Hunting wise I was thinking of getting a 7.62x39, 30-30, 44mag, 357 and maybe 45 long for the potential hunting rounds. 45 col aint high tho. Those and all the smaller caliburs that wont worry me much like those first bigger ones. A few said the single shotgun parts couldent handle it. Even the Chaszell guy said to test the shotgun in a vise first to see if it could handle it. The Chazell guy was great tho. Very good customer srv. Havent talked to ACE inserts yet. Oh and I was prob gonna get most of the hunting calibers in an 18 inch long insert. If that matters

So I guess any info on inserts, safety and higher loads. Shotgun suggestions etc etc

Any help is appreciated

Thanks fellas

Don't discount a 45 colt. I load my 1892 with some pretty high stepping rounds, pretty much on par with 44 mag loads.

That's all the info I got for this one.

I understand the concept but have never seen one. Are you talking .410 shotgun? I seem to recall .410 shell fits into a particular pistol chamber.

My survival outfit when hunting elk years ago was my dad's K22 Smith revolver in my daypack and 30-06 on my shoulder for the big stuff. Shot a truckload of grouse with that pistol. When riding my horses I had .357 Highway Patrolman in the saddlebag.

Yildiz or Rossi shotgun with TSS buckshot would be worth testing. T/C Encore is the easy button.

I understand the concept but have never seen one. Are you talking .410 shotgun? I seem to recall .410 shell fits into a particular pistol chamber.

My survival outfit when hunting elk years ago was my dad's K22 Smith revolver in my daypack and 30-06 on my shoulder for the big stuff. Shot a truckload of grouse with that pistol. When riding my horses I had .357 Highway Patrolman in the saddlebag.
This would be out of a 12 gauge single shot. I might have to go 20 gauge because singles in 12 seem to be on the low low end of availible

Check out this vid to get a good look.

forgot to type the rest lol

I can hunt with .410 shells in one insert if its out of a 12 gauge.

I love the idea with having one dedicated round...but with the shortages and ammo prices... Im just hedging my bets so to say

So that is what youd choose to shoot these? Ill def give em a look
To be clear, I'm saying I'd get one of those and see how closely TSS buckshot would come to the 100 yard goal.

Otherwise, look at a T/C Encore or Contender with multiple barrels.

Another option may be a used Savage model 24 combo gun. Not a single cartridge but they made options in center fire rifle and subgauge shotgun.

100 yard max...just shot the 12 gauge. bird shot, buck shot and slugs cover everything why make this difficult, less safe and more expensive?

100 yard max...just shot the 12 gauge. bird shot, buck shot and slugs cover everything why make this difficult, less safe and more expensive?
I get what your sayin...I just think having a gun that can shoot multiple rounds is a survival dream. I might just have to stay in the handgun rang of insert calibers

To be clear, I'm saying I'd get one of those and see how closely TSS buckshot would come to the 100 yard goal.

Otherwise, look at a T/C Encore or Contender with multiple barrels.
Ah I see. I did go check out the encore...nice gun all around

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back