Elk Quality v. Opportunity

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Not wanting to start any arguments here, but was bored watching the Oregon/K-State game last night, so decided to do some research of what kind of bulls have been coming from the western states over the last few years.

I subscribe to the Boone and Crockett Trophy Search database. It allows you to search their database for just about anything you want to know about animals, scores, measurements, locations, hunter, etc.

I did a query to see what the typical elk entries looked like over the last three years, 2010 to 2012 (probably not many 2012 elk yet scored and entered). And the last eight year, 2005-2012. Somethings were surprising, some not surprising.

Here is 2010-2012:
B&C elk since 2010.jpg

Interesting to see that two states with the most entries in this period, Montana and Colorado, are mostly known by the research services as "opportunity states." I hunt both of them and I have never had a shot at a B&C bull, but it is interesting to see that you can combine large amounts of opportunity with some level of quality.

No state sells more elk tags than Colorado. I am sure most of these entries come from limited areas. Yet, it shows Colorado is balancing the demand by some that the shoot more elk, that they continue to have lots of non-residents coming to small towns in hunting seasons, with the demand that some hunters have for trophy bulls.

Second in elk tag sales is Montana. I looked in detail at the Montana entries and not even half of them came from counties with limited entry hunts. Most were from counties that have general hunts. Though Montana is second in elk tag sales, it is probably first in elk hunter days afield, given tagholders, most of whom are residents, have six weeks of archery and five weeks of rifle.

Wyoming is probably third in elk tag sales. They are right up near the top. They have a great mix of limited entry units and general units. They also let you hunt with archery in September and come back in Oct/Nov with a rifle. Very few of their hunts are weapon restricted. Another example of how opportunity and quality can be balanced.

The other day, some guys told me they wished Montana would be more like Utah. I asked why. Their reply focused on the quality that Utah has become known for. When I told them the sacrifice in opportunity to achieve this high age class, they weren't too keen on giving up their eleven week seasons, having to choose a weapon, and certainly not waiting ten to twenty years to draw a tag.

Looking at the 20110-2012 chart and comparing it to the 2005-2012 chart below shows what happened to Utah as soon as they started to open up for a slight increase in opportunity in 2009. Their rifle seasons being in the rut, along with almost unlimited motorized access, make it look like quality will decline quickly with even slight increases in opportunity.

From 2005-2009, Utah had 74 entries. In 2009, they cranked up tag numbers a little, in response to pressure for more opportunity. From 2010-2012, they had 11 entries. A big drop off. Maybe the time frame is too short for adequate measurement, but seems to be a trend there since they increased opportunity, however slightly, in 2009.

I thought the short window of 2010-2012 might be an anomoly, especially knowing Montana had a huge kill with the early winter of 2010. The longer period given below shows the "opportunity state" of Montana still ranking second in that longer time frame.

Here is 2005-2012:
B&C elk since 2005.jpg

Not trying to say that B&C entries is a benchmark that agencies should shoot for. Mostly, it struck me as interesting how some states have been able to keep opportunity high and still have some quality.

From my standpoint as someone who hunts elk in Montana and Colorado every year, I hope they continue to provide the same mix of quality and opportunity. Maybe some year, I will find one of those big bulls. If not, still makes it a little more intriguing to know they are out there.

I am sure my observation is worth nothing, other than to demonstrate the stupid hunting-related things I will waste my time on when boredom strikes.

I think it's an excellent observation BigFin, it does show that with good management, there can be both quality and opportunity.

Any way of looking at how many of those MT bulls were killed Thanksgiving week of 2010?

When I told them the sacrifice in opportunity to achieve this high age class, they weren't too keen on giving up their eleven week seasons, having to choose a weapon, and certainly not waiting ten to twenty years to draw a tag.

This is why I want to move to Montana! or at least have Colorado adopt Montana's season structure, but too much money involved here for that to happen :(

Any way of looking at how many of those MT bulls were killed Thanksgiving week of 2010?

Just pulled it up. Two in Park County that week. Probably both migratory bulls vulnerable as a result of that early winter.

Two other November bulls from Musselsheel County taken that week. Not much migration happening out in Central Montana.

All other entries were prior to November 16th, with most being September and October entries.

I think that early winter had a bigger impact on B&C bulls that would be taken in 2011 and 2012 season, as they got shot in 2010 when they were 330-350 bulls.

That answer the question?

Very much so, thanks. I think your thoughts on it effecting 2011 and 12 more are probably right also.

Of those 12 Colorado bulls what are the counties?

12 elk, 9 counties, with 3 counties having 2 entries. Only ONE of those entries is from a county with a highly sought trophy hunt.

It would be interesting to figure out the ratio of B&C bulls to tags sold.

Let's also look at Utah and how many of those bulls were taken by hunters drawn through the regular draw system.:D

I really like doing Analysis like this. Here is some similar data from the the latest P&Y book on American Elk. P&Y does not have an online tool like B&C. This data is from the 7th All-Time Edition published in 2011 which probably does not contain all 2010 entries.

Attachments

• P&Y American Elk Anyalysis v1.jpg
    P&Y American Elk Anyalysis v1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
Well there went my excuse for not shooting a Booner bull.:eek: For me though a trophy bull would be anything 340+. Fin I'm assuming the results are bulls 375+? That is a huge bull I don't care who you are. I still think the majority of those killed in 2010 were not 375+ in montana. At the bar and in pictures they were but not officially. That's my point there's a difference between a big bull and a trophy and for me a trophy is smaller than what B&C considers.

I don't want to hear any more sniffling from the Colorado gents either. Ya so much for the comments about no trophies in Colorado;) The Utah stats are interesting as well.

Beings that my criteria for a trophy is in the 340+ range I could pretty much assume that my goal would be attainable in just about any western state if only I was a better hunter with more time.

Last edited:
Well there went my excuse for not shooting a Booner bull.:eek: For me though a trophy bull would be anything 340+. Fin I'm assuming the results are bulls 375+? That is a huge bull I don't care who you are. I still think the majority of those killed in 2010 were not 375+. At the bar and in pictures they were but not officially. That's my point there's a difference between a big bull and a trophy and for me a trophy is smaller than what B&C considers.

I don't want to hear any more sniffling from the Colorado gents either. Ya so much for the comments about no trophies in Colorado;) The Utah stats are interesting as well.

Beings that my criteria for a trophy is in the 340+ range I could pretty much assume that my goal would be attainable in just about any western state if only I was a better hunter with more time.

Fin's list is for 360+. In CO, 5 of the 12 bulls net over 375, and none net 381. I agree though...my "quality" criteria is much, much lower. :D

Is there a way to differentiate public vs. private land kills?

Thoses stats on Utah are really eye opening.

drthorton, I was wonder about B&C and P&Y combined. Interesting information.

I know of quite a few archery hunters (here in MT) that harvest big bulls (350'ish) pretty much every year that do not enter them in P & Y ( or B & C for that matter). So, there is probably more than what is reflected.

From what I have noted, it appears to me that Wyoming is becoming a destination. WY has been harvesting some big elk the last few years.

I know of quite a few archery hunters (here in MT) that harvest big bulls (350'ish) pretty much every year that do not enter them in P & Y ( or B & C for that matter). So, there is probably more than what is reflected.

What JMG said. Not sure if that is similar in other states or not.

Is there a way to differentiate public vs. private land kills?

My thoughts exactly. I'd venture a guess most of those B&C elk were not available to the general public. Not to take anything away from the animal or hunter, but I wish that was disclosed.

Pretty interesting read.
Puts a whole lotta perspective on just how hard it is to harvest an elk in that caliber. :eek:
If you look at how many elk are harvested; how many bulls are harvested; and how many of those bulls go B/C, it's so minuscule it's not even funny.
I just can't believe Utah only has 11 from the last few years. I was still under the impression there's a book bull under every tree.......;) Maybe their 'conservation groups' should get more involved with the whole process. We all know that EVERYONE with a tag should shoot a book head!!

I was really surprised to see Wyo above Nevada and New Mexico on both queries. I thought Wyo was just a raghorn state. :confused: Guess I'll just keep hunting meat bulls - EVERY YEAR! :rolleyes:

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Papete113
Back