Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming elk

sneakem

Continuing this on from the moose thread…. Abbreviated version. So the moose hunt ate up a good amount of time from this tag, which I originally planned to bowhunt more than anything. I only had a few days to bowhunt, but had some incredible opportunities and passed a few bulls bigger than I had ever shot personally, holding out for a giant. I figured I was seeing plenty of good bulls, I could be picky and return with a rifle and probably kill a good bull.
By the time the rifle hunt rolled around, the weather was unseasonably warm, very windy and the elk were no where to be found. I gave it a few long weekends, passed some decent bulls in hopes of killing an above average bull. Saw a couple busted up big bulls that I eventually passed. Having a freezer full of moose meat helped to stick with the plan. The last day that I could hunt I decided to go into a real 💩 hole I had been seeing bulls to see if I could turn a good one up. Passed a couple broken bulls, coming down the mountain I turned up a perfectly intact 310-315 bull, tempting, but decided I'd rather eat the tag with a freezer full of meat. So no elk for me… Time to head home. Incredible hunt, tough conditions, some great bulls. Tag soup…

Last edited:
Or so I thought…

As I sling my rifle over my shoulder and start to walk away from this beautiful bull, I make it about 15 yards and realize there is a second bull there. He’s ugly, super heavy, kinda broken, but still mostly intact, but good enough that I’d spend an entire day hauling meat out this 💩 hole. BANG! No tag soup for me…

IMG_5082.jpegIMG_5076.jpeg

Nice bull. Crazy how the g2, g3 and g4 on that right side are all broken off about the same place. Those things don't just randomly break off, especially as thick as the g4 was where it broke.

Nice bull. Crazy how the g2, g3 and g4 on that right side are all broken off about the same place. Those things don't just randomly break off, especially as thick as the g4 was where it broke.
I think it's a product of the high bull to cow ratio in this area, lots of big bulls fighting for few cows. Lots of the larger bulls had broken points, beams during rifle. Both 3rd's and the sword are larger than a golf ball where they are broke though, he's likely missing 13-14 inches of horn in total.

Just a funny thought I might share…as I was looking through photos I stumbled across this…. On all my hunting/fishing trips I have little video cameos that I like to call “nuggets of truth”. Just silly/stupid moments I record in the heat of the moment…
I have quite the collection of stupid moments like this from over the years…🤷🏽‍♂️

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back