Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Idaho

Jeff you are well on your way to getting this thread locked if that is your goal. And the Poster you snapped at is NOT a Millenial. He is a Gen X'er...We got the Student loans and paid them back with interest... Padlock inbound in 3...
Buzz is way closer to boomer than GenX! Might even be a Greatest Gen'er.:D

You know, I've started to feel bad for ole Jeff...how this thread has gone. I think it may just be a presentation issue, and he just needs someone to help him with branding. So I'm going to do it. Completely without his permission, or input, I'm going to rewrite his story in a way that I think is more conducive to positive interaction on Hunt Talk. You'll have to forgive my poetic license as I don't actually know the guy...

Hey guys! Jeff in Vegas here, just wanted to give you all a recap of my incredible Idaho experience. I had the incredible luck to draw one of only 5 Owyhee rifle rut tags! I couldn't believe it! Normally I have crap for luck...like to the point where I have trouble ever having a positive outlook, but for once lady luck actually shined on me! Well, at least I thought she did. Right before the hunt, I found out that not only had there been a rule change concerning access to private lands that I was unaware of, and unprepared for, but there was also a big old prescribed burn planned for the unit right in the middle of my hunt! I was really bummed... I told my buddy Fred: "I knew it Fred. I knew it was too good to be true. I knew my luck hadn't really changed." Fred said: "DBAFP, you drew the danged tag, go do some work and make your own luck, and maybe it'll work out..." To tell the truth at first that made me mad, but then I got to thinking about it, and I thought Fred's right! I have to try and make the most of this opportunity!

So I make the trip, and it's rough. The fire is burning, almost out of control, there are emergency people and vehicles all over everywhere. Helicopters and tankers in the air. It's smokey as all get out, just an all around tough situation. On top of all that, I can't get any of the private land owners to respond to my messages. I guess they are screening my calls, and not listening to my messages...with my out of state number, they probably think I'm some sort of telemarketer or something, but either way, there's no help coming from them, and any guidance I might have gotten from Fish and Game is out the window as they are all busy with the management of the fire. Frustrating to say the least.

But I'm here, and I have the tag, so I keep at it, and I keep at it hard, wearing rubber off my tires, and burning through gallons of fuel. The bulls are completely silent. I don't know if it's the weather, or the moon, or all the activity associated with the fire, but I can't get one to make a peep, it was really discouraging. Then, just as I was thinking it was all over, that this once in a lifetime tag was going to go unfilled, I find this guy:

Picture of beautiful 310+ bull as he lay in a pristine setting

Man I couldn't believe it! Lady Luck had shown up after all! I'll admit, when I drew the tag, I had hoped to find something bigger, but I am really jacked! He's a wonderful bull, and I'm so grateful to have had the chance at him. It was a brutally hard hunt, with so many factors going against me seemingly at every turn, but it just goes to show, if you just keep trying, just don't give up...good things can still come of difficult situations!
This has to be my favorite post of the month

Jeff you are well on your way to getting this thread locked if that is your goal. And the Poster you snapped at is NOT a Millenial. He is a Gen X'er...We got the Student loans and paid them back with interest... Padlock inbound in 3...

I AM a Millenial technically. I own my house, a rental property, have three 3 kids, and been married over 11 years at age 32. Paid off my student loans too. Where's my stereotype gosh darn it!?!?

:ROFLMAO:

Wait...did he say Buzz is a millennial? Then call him “Junior”?

Might be time to put your helmets on...

Okay dude. I get it. It can be dished out but not returned. Color me gone! ( a boomer expression from the 60's). I will bother y'all no more. Good luck to all on their hunts!!

I’d be curious how you manage it differently to produce 400 bulls? The tags in that country have been super limited for a long long time.

Never had expectations of a 400 in the area as it is NOT the area where they can be found. Only expectations (as reputed) were to experience a rifle hunt with above average numbers of screaming bulls in the middle of the rut. Those were the incentives as it is widely known 400 quality bulls are and have never been in these units. There are units in Idaho that can produce that expectation. Never had any illusions of bagging that kind of trophy. However after viewing what kind of genetics are in there there is no reason to believe the area is not capable of producing those results with a different management stradegy.
And let me remind you Millenials a little something about us "boomers". We didn't live in our parents basement til we were 30 or get a free ride to anything. Many served, many sacrificed while also taking care of parents and grandchildren whilst your generation were too proud to pick up a broom, take a menial job that bought the beans, felt owed a college education and it beneath them to take a minimum wage job. I paid for both of my kids college (no student loans or grants at taxpayers expense) and got little in the way of anything of value for an inheritance to give me a leg up. I have worked since I was 14 in the summers while still in school and have paid my own way for everything I have. Live a little before you are so quick to judge junior.

Haha you called Buzz a millennial. You haven’t been on the site for long.

You sir have deep set entitlement. You surely didn’t cover enough of the unit to have any idea of its age class or genetics. You sat your butt on a 4 wheeler and complained and complained.

What a waste of a good tag.

I'm going to asked that everyone who posted on this thread read my post here in its entirety.

I Had the pleasure of meeting Jeff during his hunt. We talked for probably 2 hours on the side of a road during which time he was very cordial and seemed like a pretty upstanding dude, disabled vet, limited mobility, yadda,yadda. In short he told me what he thought would get him info.

Jeff,

First off I told you that you were wrong on the wording of the tresspass law and you still are. While I agree with you on your overall perspective of the area with regard to that law you are not acutely understanding the law.
To those of you who have never been to the area and don't understand the situation of the current trespass law in idaho please note that your options will be taken with a grain of salt.
Secondly the internet is a small ass world! And Owyhee county is even smaller.
Also dude WTF!

Now many of you know that I live in this unit and am very familiar with it and the animals within it. During our conversation I decided to divulge quite a bit of elk info to you jeff. I dropped pins on your onx maps to glassing points where you would see bulls and to places where I had seen bulls within the past week that were well above the size of the one you shot. I showed you numerous recent videos of bulls in the 330-350 range. Jeff you told me that you were really hoping for something in the 350 to 370 range. I told you that it can be tuff to get the elk here to bugle from a quad in early September and to try parking just shy of ridges and walking over to get responses. I also told you that I had not seen one that big recently but that if I did I would come to your camp and let you know. I asked in return that if you happen to see a mule deer of 190 plus that you called me to tell me. We agreed and parted ways. I believe that was on September 11th?
Anyways I happen to locate what I was sure was a bull over 370 while looking into the rising sun the morning of the 13th. I watched him bed I then proceeded to leave and bumped in to you on the road. After I ate lunch we went back together and I set you 1000 yd from that bull and pointed him out to you in the timber. You were not able to spot him but came back and found him in the open later you sent me some pictures which I thank you for.
Through further evaluation and better angles I was thinking that this bull is knocking on the door of the 400" mark you mentioned so many times in this thread. I'm not going to post them on the Internet but you and I both know that we both have pictures and video I could prove this with. This bull was less than 1000 yd off the road on public land and had been there for at least a week or 10 days I know this because I had been hearing him bugle and could recognize his bugle. Being familiar with the area and how the elk react I told you how I personally would set up on him the predominant winds and how I would glass him morning and night to keep track of him until the opener on the 15th. You argued with me and told me that you would not so much as move your camp which was a few hours away in the "known" elk area.
Now perhaps you are trolling, positing to detour applications but after speaking with you and reading this thread I don't believe so and with a fraction of a percent drawing odds. I doubt it is going to help. I personally never plan to put in for that hunt even though it is currently the golden ticket.
Also you were well aware of the prescribed burn and knew In advance to avoid the area.
I have since shown a few outtfiters some videos of that bull and am told that it is absolutely 400" and was even offered 10k for his location by a certain drnewface. Drnewface makes me sick with his practice of buying wildlife and I would much rather see someone (like I thought you were) get this true bull of a lifetime.
Unfortunately it seems I was wrong about your character. While I certainly understand the frustration of not knowing a unit and having limited mobility. It seems that you have been nailed with your whining. You sir had a bigger bull in front of you than 99.9% of elk hunters ever will. You should be ecstatic. You chose how you wanted to hunt him. You wanted to shoot him from 600yd and told me that you couldn't get closer than 200 because thats where you were sighted in!?!? You also committed a cardinal sin by divolging his location to whomever you came across. Or so I have been told.
You are the reason many are reluctant to share good info with strangers.(I am done giving strangers info out here)
You act as if Rachel is to be waiting for your call and the blm is to postpone habitat improvements because you drew a tag. This is strange to me.
I personally view your statements here as a slap in my face.
I want to congratulate you on your bull and I wish you well.
I also would prefer to no longer communicate with you.

Typical boomer...entitled to everything, even a 400 inch bull elk.
Hey Buzz did I run into you while scouting moose in Wyoming at the end of September? We were stuck in the same ruts trying to get past each other on a muddy road in the dark?

I'm going to asked that everyone who posted on this thread read my post here in its entirety.

I Had the pleasure of meeting Jeff during his hunt. We talked for probably 2 hours on the side of a road during which time he was very cordial and seemed like a pretty upstanding dude, disabled vet, limited mobility, yadda,yadda. In short he told me what he thought would get him info.

Jeff,

First off I told you that you were wrong on the wording of the tresspass law and you still are. While I agree with you on your overall perspective of the area with regard to that law you are not acutely understanding the law.
To those of you who have never been to the area and don't understand the situation of the current trespass law in idaho please note that your options will be taken with a grain of salt.
Also dude WTF!

Now many of you know that I live in this unit and am very familiar with it and the animals within it. During our conversation I decided to divulge quite a bit of elk info to you jeff. I dropped pins on your onx maps to glassing points where you would see bulls and to places where I had seen bulls within the past week that were well above the size of the one you shot. I showed you numerous recent videos of bulls in the 330-350 range. Jeff you told me that you were really hoping for something in the 350 to 370 range. I told you that it can be tuff to get the elk here to bugle from a quad in early September and to try parking just shy of ridges and walking over to get responses. I also told you that I had not seen one that big recently but that if I did I would come to your camp and let you know. I asked in return that if you happen to see a mule deer of 190 plus that you called me to tell me. We agreed and parted ways. I believe that was on September 11th?
Anyways I happen to locate what I was sure was a bull over 370 while looking into the rising sun the morning of the 13th. I watched him bed I then proceeded to leave and bumped in to you on the road. After I ate lunch we went back together and I set you 1000 yd from that bull and pointed him out to you in the timber. You were not able to spot him but came back and found him in the open later you sent me some pictures which I thank you for.
Through further evaluation and better angles I was thinking that this bull is knocking on the door of the 400" mark you mentioned so many times in this thread. I'm not going to post them on the Internet but you and I both know that we both have pictures and video I could prove this with. This bull was less than 1000 yd off the road on public land and had been there for at least a week or 10 days I know this because I had been hearing him bugle and could recognize his bugle. Being familiar with the area and how the elk react I told you how I personally would set up on him the predominant winds and how I would glass him morning and night to keep track of him until the opener on the 15th. You argued with me and told me that you would not so much as move your camp which was a few hours away in the "known" elk area.
Now perhaps you are trolling, positing to detour applications but after speaking with you and reading this thread I don't believe so and with a fraction of a percent drawing odds. I doubt it is going to help. I personally never plan to put in for that hunt even though it is currently the golden ticket.
Also you were well aware of the prescribed burn and knew In advance to avoid the area.
I have since shown a few outtfiters some videos of that bull and am told that it is absolutely 400" and was even offered 10k for his location by a certain drnewface. Drnewface makes me sick with his practice of buying wildlife and I would much rather see someone (like I thought you were) get this true bull of a lifetime.
Unfortunately it seems I was wrong about your character. While I certainly understand the frustration of not knowing a unit and having limited mobility. It seems that you have been nailed with your whining. You sir had a bigger bull in front of you than 99.9% of elk hunters ever will. You should be ecstatic. You chose how you wanted to hunt him. You wanted to shoot him from 600yd and told me that you couldn't get closer than 200 because thats where you were sighted in!?!? You also committed a cardinal sin by divolging his location to whomever you came across. Or so I have been told.
You are the reason many are reluctant to share good info with strangers.(I am done giving strangers info out here)
You act as if Rachel is to be waiting for your call and the blm is to postpone habitat improvements because you drew a tag. This is strange to me.

If that is what happened then Jeff, dude, that is messed up. Some hunttalk penitence is in order.

Jeff,

Also dude WTF!

I believe everything you said here. Makes total sense in the context of Jeff’s posts.

Now Jeff will ghost everybody while his tail is between his legs, his reputation here is gone, and he will probably blame others for his plight.

Because well managed CONTROLLED elk hunting areas and deer hunting areas should be managed for QUALITY not quantity. Thses units could easily produce 400 class bulls in abundance which could in turn justify such long odds and difficulty in drawing "the tag of a lifetime".
You seem to be under the impression that even in a controlled hunt there should be monster bulls behind every tree. That's not real life. These bulls don't survive multiple years of hunting seasons to grow big antlers by hanging around where all the hunter are.
Also private landowners are not going to post signs if not required by law. They have no obligation to meet your decency wishes.
It's too bad you ended up shooting a bull that you think is a shame.

Last edited:
Years from now when the story of that hunt is told around the campfire it won’t be about the countless hours e-scouting, glassing far mountainsides, long grueling stalks, packing meat or the pursuit of the awesome elk that was shot. Instead it sounds as though it will be about how a tag was punched for the pure sake of avoiding having tag soup and that the state and private landowners robbed the opportunity of a better trophy.

Reading thru this shit show of a thread leaves me amazed. I would give up my left nut for a 328 bull and not having a 200 of my newest hunting partners on each and every ridge. @elkmagnet thanks for all that you did to try and help, it’s shitty that it turned out this way, you are welcome to have a beer in my camp at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back