Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Idaho

I don't doubt your hunting hard.

But you didn't research well. This is very clear due to your lack of knowledge on the very well publicized new private land changes here.

You will also hear from ANYONE that has ever hunted unit 40, that the elk are in very isolated pockets and there are NOT elk all over
the unit. There are vast tracts without any elk. If you talk to guys that are in the know, live here and are very experienced hunters
that get it done every year, they will tell you that you probably shouldn't be passing on bulls around that 300 - 310" mark in unit 40.

I think you threw your name in the hat for a unit you read about on Eastman's. It wasn't the hunt for you. It was just simply a research mistake.
Sorry it didn't turn out how you had hoped.
The law didn't change til this year. I already applied. Never expected to draw anyway but did my research ace. Tried contacting landowners on multiple occasions. No one ever returned my calls. G&F was scarce and unavailable as well. Got my Bull but a shame cause he was nice and had great mass but two mini seventh that would have produced a Toad of a Bull in a year or two.
Saw big bulls all on private. Mine appears to me to be about 320 maybe 330 at best. Probly wishful thinking. Deer numbers are way down as well in an area that used to produce 200 class Muleys.
Killed my Bull but just happened upon him as no bulging got any responses. Regardless of my bulging skills.

Attachments

• 20190924_121135.jpg
    20190924_121135.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 194
Sounds like you may need to take up a different hobby. What is an "almost out of control" prescribed fire?
Well it spread to areas that were not prescribed and they had to call in tankers to control it. What is your definition of out of control?? Juniper could have been pushed and opened for firewood cutting. Would have cost taxpayers a lot less money and even generated a bit of revenue for permits to harvest the downed trees. Pretty much same effect. Government always has a better way....
20190924_121131.jpg

Montana like $800 with point system, wyoming like $600 with point system, colorado like $700 with point system, utah just dumb, idaho like $400 with no point system. Yea so many better options. 🤔
Well they are going to raise it for next year so they will satisfy your desire to keep up with Joneses.
Funny how all the landowners complain about too many elk eating all the cattle feed but few are forthcoming about where to find them or allow access or permission. Could that have something to do with the fact landowner tags generate 5k at a minimum??? Whether G&F or Landowners it appears revenue is always the motivating factor. I would have shot a spike had it reared its head instead of the one I shot. That's how few elk I was able to locate.
Elk hunting is like anything else. They are where you find em so the stragedy of hunting the PRIME rut for locating bulls with a rifle was the motivation for applying. If they ain't bulging might as well try the late season. A lot easier to draw if you don't mind dinks.

I don’t understand being upset that you can’t just hunt privately owned land as long as it isn’t posted. That’s like having to have a sign saying the money in my pocket is off limits to you to deter pickpockets. If it is private property and you don’t own it, you should have permission to be there - from a moral perspective. If I don’t have a sign or markings, should you be allowed to walk in my house, drink my beer, eat my snacks and watch a ballgame without my consent?

Otherwise, congrats on a nice bull!

Drew so called premier tag in Idaho. One of 5 rifle permits in the rut. Been here going on my 4th week and have seen more elk on a bad day in my back yard. One or two bugles tops. One great bull spotted on Private land which cannot be hunted without a written signed permit from the owner. Most are Corporations and out of six people/owners that I left multiple messages with zero return calls.
Whether posted or not now law says the permit is required. Ever try finding a rancher during roundup.....
To add insult to injury one large section of public that was supposed to be a good area just had an almost out of control prescribed burn right at the start of this season. Multiple helicopters and emergency vehicles all making that area ppretty much null. Talked to 4 out of the five other tag holders and only 1 I know of so far have bagged a 290- bull. Wounded warrior guy had a special extra tag and bagged a bull on his friends private land. Going on 4th week here. 4 5 gal cans of gas for ATV and 100 gallons of diesel. Giving it two more days. Gave up trying to contact G&F rep Rachel. No service here so phone tag doesn't work. Stopped at Nampa office at 4pm one day figuring some help might be available but no one available. All in the field. Sure would have been nice if a disclaimer about new law requiring written permit from landowners to hunt even unposted land. Your own personal responsibility to figure out if you are on public or private even without markings or fences.
I know some will say sour grapes and you gotta get outta the truck etc. But everyone I have come across including bowhunters are not seeing didley and I have bivy camped and hiked and have video from hours of glassing.
Just a heads up if you plan on applying for the 40-1 controlled hunt.
Don't bother..

Ehhh, it in't an elk hunt until you feel like this^

"there ain't no @#%^ elk in this unit."
"stupid public land managers are all stupid poopyheads"
"frigging land owners won't do @##$ to help me"
"this whole state can just go $%&^%itsself"

Yep, just about every elk hunt I've said that before I killed a bull....

.....and whaddya know....

YEP that's Elk huntin'!

I don’t understand being upset that you can’t just hunt privately owned land as long as it isn’t posted. That’s like having to have a sign saying the money in my pocket is off limits to you to deter pickpockets. If it is private property and you don’t own it, you should have permission to be there - from a moral perspective. If I don’t have a sign or markings, should you be allowed to walk in my house, drink my beer, eat my snacks and watch a ballgame without my consent?

Otherwise, congrats on a nice bull!
That's not the point and you know it. If you don't want people on your land that abuts public you should have the decency to post it NO TRESPASSING OR HUNTING. You don't leave your house or your car unlocked do you? What are fences for? Used to be you were at least able to access roads that passed through private to get to public. Now you can't even do that. I encountered many locked gates. Granted there are criminals out there that shoot beef cows and litter and disrespect property but then there are burglars and car thieves too. Locks and signs are to keep honest people honest. Are you going to require now that EVERYONE be required to purchase OnX so they know where public meets private. Sportsman and ranchers have worked together for years to preserve public land usage and protect public rights and access. Cows don't read signs and ranchers don't prevent their livestock from grazing public land. Seems to me access and hunting ALL land is good for both and this is just another govt ploy to pit sportsman and ranchers against one another because divided we are easier to control. When the govt really wants to control the woodlands both public and private they will figure out a way to make fuel so expensive NO ONE will have access and we will all be herded into urban zones. Watch and see....

Why is it a shame?
Because well managed CONTROLLED elk hunting areas and deer hunting areas should be managed for QUALITY not quantity. Thses units could easily produce 400 class bulls in abundance which could in turn justify such long odds and difficulty in drawing "the tag of a lifetime".

Because well managed CONTROLLED elk hunting areas and deer hunting areas should be managed for QUALITY not quantity. Thses units could easily produce 400 class bulls in abundance which could in turn justify such long odds and difficulty in drawing "the tag of a lifetime".

They why did you shoot it? Is it really the state's obligation to provide you with a 400 inch bull?

Guess all the complaining was for nothing since he has a head on his wheeler that most folks would love to have!
Yes nice bull but part of the enticement and incentive for this hunt/tag was to experience hunting the rut with a rifle. Hence why there are only 5 or 6 if you count a Wounded Warrior tag available to do it. I can hunt elk rifle post rut in any state with elk permits available if I draw one. That was not the point either. I hunt archery as well but this was supposed to be a unique experience. Turns out same o same o.

Yes nice bull but part of the enticement and incentive for this hunt/tag was to experience hunting the rut with a rifle. Hence why there are only 5 or 6 if you count a Wounded Warrior tag available to do it. I can hunt elk rifle post rut in any state with elk permits available if I draw one. That was not the point either. I hunt archery as well but this was supposed to be a unique experience. Turns out same o same o.
Better go reserve your spot on the Jicarilla then. Then you won't have to deal with shoddy public managers.

The real BIG bulls in Idaho are all around Rexburg. 400" every year..

Last edited:
They why did you shoot it? Is it really the state's obligation to provide you with a 400 inch bull?
He asked why a shame. Not expecting anyone to provide me a 400 Bull. I was offering an alternative management option. But it seems no matter what comment I have one or more of you are going to find a negative to condemn my opinion. So be it. I am a 65 year old disabled Veteran who is no more entitled to his opinion or to extol on his experience than anyone else. I am also an out of stater that really has no business opining any Idaho management systems. That is for you homeboys to weigh in on. Accept what you are willing to endure but remember you all ain't paying the out of state price for a permit either. I am done on my soap box. Take my words or not. I have watched many state g&f's slowly move towards revenue generation and away from quality game management. After all who pays their salaries.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back