PEAX Equipment

Elk Idaho

Sportsman and ranchers have worked together for years to preserve public land usage and protect public rights and access. Cows don't read signs and ranchers don't prevent their livestock from grazing public land. Seems to me access and hunting ALL land is good for both and this is just another govt ploy to pit sportsman and ranchers against one another because divided we are easier to control.

Still trying to decipher this nugget.

to jeffnvegas. I hope you never ever get old or lost because with your attitude no one will search for you.
There were 2 gentlemen one in his 60's and one in his 70's lost down there when you were supposedly hunting. The gentleman with the tag did get a nice bull. They had 2 younger guys supposedly helping with them but for some reason they left the older guys and walked back to the lookout for help? Who actually knows?

As for the control burn it has been in the works for close to 10 years. From what I hear tag holders were warmed about the RX burn.

It's called hunting for a reason not planting your backside on a Honda and never getting off.

Man, this entire thread is disappointing on a number of levels. Nice job with your elk. I can only imagine all the cheerful memories that you'll relive each time you look at its antlers. I have to say that this thread hasn't done much to change my general perspective on Vegas, as unfair as that is to the 5 decent people who live there....assuming your name is indicative.

You know, I've started to feel bad for ole Jeff...how this thread has gone. I think it may just be a presentation issue, and he just needs someone to help him with branding. So I'm going to do it. Completely without his permission, or input, I'm going to rewrite his story in a way that I think is more conducive to positive interaction on Hunt Talk. You'll have to forgive my poetic license as I don't actually know the guy...

Hey guys! Jeff in Vegas here, just wanted to give you all a recap of my incredible Idaho experience. I had the incredible luck to draw one of only 5 Owyhee rifle rut tags! I couldn't believe it! Normally I have crap for luck...like to the point where I have trouble ever having a positive outlook, but for once lady luck actually shined on me! Well, at least I thought she did. Right before the hunt, I found out that not only had there been a rule change concerning access to private lands that I was unaware of, and unprepared for, but there was also a big old prescribed burn planned for the unit right in the middle of my hunt! I was really bummed... I told my buddy Fred: "I knew it Fred. I knew it was too good to be true. I knew my luck hadn't really changed." Fred said: "DBAFP, you drew the danged tag, go do some work and make your own luck, and maybe it'll work out..." To tell the truth at first that made me mad, but then I got to thinking about it, and I thought Fred's right! I have to try and make the most of this opportunity!

So I make the trip, and it's rough. The fire is burning, almost out of control, there are emergency people and vehicles all over everywhere. Helicopters and tankers in the air. It's smokey as all get out, just an all around tough situation. On top of all that, I can't get any of the private land owners to respond to my messages. I guess they are screening my calls, and not listening to my messages...with my out of state number, they probably think I'm some sort of telemarketer or something, but either way, there's no help coming from them, and any guidance I might have gotten from Fish and Game is out the window as they are all busy with the management of the fire. Frustrating to say the least.

But I'm here, and I have the tag, so I keep at it, and I keep at it hard, wearing rubber off my tires, and burning through gallons of fuel. The bulls are completely silent. I don't know if it's the weather, or the moon, or all the activity associated with the fire, but I can't get one to make a peep, it was really discouraging. Then, just as I was thinking it was all over, that this once in a lifetime tag was going to go unfilled, I find this guy:

Picture of beautiful 310+ bull as he lay in a pristine setting

Man I couldn't believe it! Lady Luck had shown up after all! I'll admit, when I drew the tag, I had hoped to find something bigger, but I am really jacked! He's a wonderful bull, and I'm so grateful to have had the chance at him. It was a brutally hard hunt, with so many factors going against me seemingly at every turn, but it just goes to show, if you just keep trying, just don't give up...good things can still come of difficult situations!

Last edited:
Man, this entire thread is disappointing on a number of levels. Nice job with your elk. I can only imagine all the cheerful memories that you'll relive each time you look at its antlers. I have to say that this thread hasn't done much to change my general perspective on Vegas, as unfair as that is to the 5 decent people who live there....assuming your name is indicative.

Is it up to 5 now? :ROFLMAO:

And when a hunter feels guilty for shooting a buck it's a good indicator the unit has been pounded too hard.

If the non-resident tags sell out why does Idaho Game and Fish offer the unsold non-resident licenses back to the Idaho residents who can buy a second tag? Obviously, there's a surplus of non-resident licenses.

For comparison purposes here are some pictures from a randomly placed trail camera in Arizona. I scouted this unit for the first time. This tag cost me $45 bucks and they sent a coupon for a free box of ammo.

Attachments

• Drop Tine buck 6 2019.JPG
    Drop Tine buck 6 2019.JPG
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Four Bye 3.JPG
    Four Bye 3.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • Random buck 1.JPG
    Random buck 1.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Random buck 2.JPG
    Random buck 2.JPG
    678.8 KB · Views: 37
And when a hunter feels guilty for shooting a buck it's a good indicator the unit has been pounded too hard.

If they feel guilty maybe they shouldn’t have shot it.

If the non-resident tags sell out why does Idaho Game and Fish offer the unsold non-resident licenses back to the Idaho residents who can buy a second tag? Obviously, there's a surplus of non-resident licenses.

They get full NR price on them. I doubt they GAF if a guy from Vegas or Boise buys them.

I am a 65 year old disabled Veteran who is no more entitled to his opinion or to extol on his experience than anyone else. I am also an out of stater that really has no business opining any Idaho management systems. That is for you homeboys to weigh in on. Accept what you are willing to endure but remember you all ain't paying the out of state price for a permit either. I am done on my soap box. Take my words or not. I have watched many state g&f's slowly move towards revenue generation and away from quality game management. After all who pays their salaries.

Typical boomer...entitled to everything, even a 400 inch bull elk.

The law didn't change til this year. I already applied. Never expected to draw anyway but did my research ace. Tried contacting landowners on multiple occasions. No one ever returned my calls. G&F was scarce and unavailable as well. Got my Bull but a shame cause he was nice and had great mass but two mini seventh that would have produced a Toad of a Bull in a year or two.
Saw big bulls all on private. Mine appears to me to be about 320 maybe 330 at best. Probly wishful thinking. Deer numbers are way down as well in an area that used to produce 200 class Muleys.
Killed my Bull but just happened upon him as no bulging got any responses. Regardless of my bulging skills.

Congrats, some of us got truly skunked in Idaho 😉

Typical boomer...entitled to everything, even a 400 inch bull elk.
Never had expectations of a 400 in the area as it is NOT the area where they can be found. Only expectations (as reputed) were to experience a rifle hunt with above average numbers of screaming bulls in the middle of the rut. Those were the incentives as it is widely known 400 quality bulls are and have never been in these units. There are units in Idaho that can produce that expectation. Never had any illusions of bagging that kind of trophy. However after viewing what kind of genetics are in there there is no reason to believe the area is not capable of producing those results with a different management stradegy.
And let me remind you Millenials a little something about us "boomers". We didn't live in our parents basement til we were 30 or get a free ride to anything. Many served, many sacrificed while also taking care of parents and grandchildren whilst your generation were too proud to pick up a broom, take a menial job that bought the beans, felt owed a college education and it beneath them to take a minimum wage job. I paid for both of my kids college (no student loans or grants at taxpayers expense) and got little in the way of anything of value for an inheritance to give me a leg up. I have worked since I was 14 in the summers while still in school and have paid my own way for everything I have. Live a little before you are so quick to judge junior.

Jeff you are well on your way to getting this thread locked if that is your goal. And the Poster you snapped at is NOT a Millenial. He is a Gen X'er...We got the Student loans and paid them back with interest... Padlock inbound in 3...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back