Do you work away from home?

mtmuley

If you do, for how long? I've been on a project for16 months so far. Not long but long enough. Looking at possibly another project that would keep me gone until June. I do get to go home for 2 or 3 days every 2 weeks or so. Anyone else balance family and work this way? mtmuley

Im gone from my family from Sunday afternoon to Thursday night around 930 every week. Going on 2 yrs now. Still can't land a job back home. Sucks

I go away 5-7 months throughout the construction season. And home for about the same time. I work lots of hours when I work and try to pick up part time jobs through the winter months. It works out for my family because my wife home schools and they will come visit me; and we are usually are separated 2 months most. Been living this lifestyle for 18 years and have been married for 10 years to the same wife. I live in a tent for those months if I'm in a remote area and try to keep one hound with me if possibly. Some companies will not allow pets and some don't care. Last year was rough because I started building a small cabin in northwest Montana and it was difficult for my wife to live in a partly unfinished house, but I managed to finish it this fall by mid rifle season. Are you guys working in the Dakotas? Hope it works out for you'll. Preston

Is the job market that tough in Montana?Couldn't imagine being away from home for weeks at a time for work.Imet a young kid that worked the oil fields when I was out there hunting.He was gone all week then home weekends.But, he had a good plan for his future.

I'm not in the Dakotas thankfully. The construction is picking up in Montana. I'm a project manager for a high end custom home builder and our Idaho project came at a slow time so we grabbed it. Being gone you miss a lot of things and fall behind with normal chores around the house. Not to mention limited hunting time. mtmuley

Use to travel with Black Stair And Frost jeweler's. Doing FAUX finishes in there new stores around the states. It was find for about 5 years but living in hotels weeks at a time hot boring.

I used to travel as a site superintendent. Did it for over 4 years. I personally didn't mind it but I don't mind being by myself. It takes some getting used to for everyone involved. Then some more adjustment once you are home for good. My wife now who was my girlfriend at the time hated it. I was talking about traveling again a few months ago and she basically said we more than likely would get a divorce if I started again. I think the biggest thing that helped me was to think of my new home as a new place to explore and find new places to be outdoors. If I hadn't lived in TN I would not have caught any large smallies, Nebraska never would have caught a northern, San Diego never went offshore fishing. It was very hard to find new hunting spots though. You just need to remember that it is temporary and make the most of your time at home.

I travel maybe 4-6 days a month, couldn't imagine being gone for extended periods a week to 10 days at a time is more than enough. I don't know how guys go for 3-4 weeks at a time away from family and life. Lots of jobs like that here, and they're not for me.

I would hate that long of a haul, most I have done is 3 weeks away in Europe, and that was not much work and more fun really :) It's nice when the company pays you to work for 8 hours a day and the rest is vacation :)

Traveled Idaho and Eastern Washington when daughter number one was starting school and away about 12 days each month. Tough time for my wife who had a full time job also. Wife and daughter became very self-sufficient during my time away. Luckily was laid off on a Friday and started a new job the following Monday. Haven't had to travel for 30 years and don't miss it at all!

If you do, for how long? I've been on a project for16 months so far. Not long but long enough. Looking at possibly another project that would keep me gone until June. I do get to go home for 2 or 3 days every 2 weeks or so. Anyone else balance family and work this way? mtmuley

I find myself able to return home approx 4 days each month. It's tough. We make the most of it. On the bright side petty disagreements usually do not appear as time is too precious for the limited time we spend together. :eek:

I did do the travel gig for 9 years. I was on the road 80-90% of the time all over the US and Canada. I'm now just working out of the house with a little travelling - started a new software service company.

It's tough on family for sure. I backed off on travel as much as I could. The hardest part for me was making time for outdoor activities when you are home. So much to do on the house, get caught back up and in some kind of routine...

Although Skype and FaceTime make it much easier. I video chat with the kids every day when I'm on the road. Not the same as playing on the floor and chasing them around - but it helps.

I spend about 5 months a year away from home during the warmer months. It gets pretty old after awhile, but luckily I work in some incredible country. Half of last season we were based about 170 miles from my home, so I was able to make it back most weekends.

Views like this certainly help:D
DSC00287.jpg

When I first got out of college, I worked for a company called Earth Tech. The first job I was on was in Utica, New York during the dead of winter. It sucked. I got to come home about 4 days every 3 weeks. It was alright for a single person, but when my wife and I started dating in 2003, she made me swear that I would have a different job within a year. Now I work for a local village and I am the water and wastewater superintendent. I have a 13 mile drive, and I pretty much make my own hours as long as I get my job done. The good thing is that my license can transfer to any state outside of California, Michigan, Florida and a few others. I seriously think that I will be working and living out there someday within 10-12 years. My wife is a teacher so hers will transfer too. I know that whole travel/away from home deal and it sucks royally.

I did it for over 10 yrs. As time went along my stays away from home got longer. I'm single, but when I was involved with Robbie (7yrs) I'd try to get back on the weekends. That too got harder. After our break-up, I put all my crap in storage and went on the road permanently. Hardest part was trying to figure out where to get laundry done, get a decent meal, find a way to get mail, etc. Took about 3 months to get it all sorted out and after that it was just a blur for 2 years.

Now, I don't have the job, the girl, nor the freakin' headaches anymore and can't say I want either of them back.

Sounds like I might have to decide if I want to take on another project in Wyoming. Fairly small but would keep me from home till June. mtmuley

I travel maybe 4-6 days a month, couldn't imagine being gone for extended periods a week to 10 days at a time is more than enough. I don't know how guys go for 3-4 weeks at a time away from family and life. Lots of jobs like that here, and they're not for me.

Agreed. I absolutely love spending time with my family.

My "part time" job has taken me away from my family for extended periods of time (over a year) and a lot of the time for weeks or months on end. My "fulltime" job keeps me away for four days a week. Skype is a vital tool for our family. Being able to see and hear your wife and kids helps a lot.

I think a person has to provide the best that they can or their family and still be there often enough to be a parent and a good spouse. I could be closer to family making a lot less money, but I would end up working myself to death, and not being able to provide the life we have now.

Spend quality time with your family with whatever time you do have. Treat every homecoming special, and you will be alright!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back