Do I need 4WD? How Capable is Subaru Outback?

Since 1972 at least one of my vehicles has been a 4wd F250 pickup, and since 1978 with an 8' snowplow, and for most of that time both of my vehicles have been 4wds.

I moved into the house that I still live in, in 1978. It's driveway is 150 yards long with 10-15% grades. With 6-8" or more of un-tracked snow, none of my Subarus could climb up to my house.

I'm on my 3rd Suby Outback. My 1st, an '85 had probably the best drive train. It had a manual transmission with the 4 forward and reverse on one lever and 2wd high, and 4wd high and low on the second lever. I hauled one elk and several antelope out in it. Three of us took it antelope hunting in NE Montana one year also pulling a 1/4 ton trailer over 2-track roads that many people wouldn't take their flashy 4wd pickups on. I also drove it down the west side of the Flathead Pass road in the Bridger Mountains, where again most people wouldn't drive their flashy 4wd pickups.

My 2nd Suby Outback was an '08 that had one of the most gutless drive trains of any vehicle that I've ever owned.

My current Suby Outback is an '18 with their 6-speed AWD with a positraction lock. With new tires it gets around good in the snow, however once this past winter I got it stuck 3/4 of the way up my driveway and I had to use my chained-up 4wd F250 plow truck to pull my Suby back on to the plowed portion of my driveway, where I discovered that this '18 model doesn't have any tow hooks under the car, and with it's unibody, I don't know if there is anywhere solid enough to attach tow hooks.

The OP doesn't have to have a 4wd vehicle to hunt elk, but he probably shouldn't get too far off a major road without one.

I'd say it's worth your trouble to find tires better suited for the job. Not only for traction but also to prevent flats if you can find a heavier rated tire for your particular rim. The other is a locking differential. Not sure if it can be added but I believe some Outbacks had them. Been a while since I looked at them. Also some "chains" are more of a cable system which is not as good but better than nothing. They may give you enough traction to get you out of a jam without the clearance issues.

I've owned a series of Subaru wagons and for years at a time did not own a pickup due to limited cash flow/being broke. Only time I felt limited was deep snow, but I didn't spend precious hunting time behind a shovel digging out a high-centered pickup either. I bought one of those basket racks and your can really car-top a lot of gear with them. Also once had a Toyota Tercel that I crammed a weekend's worth of gear, two hunters and a gutted 5x5 mule deer in. It was a tad crowded, but worked. I will say when you drive into town with a big fresh elk rack draped over the top of a Subaru, it turns heads. :) That said, a good truck is a joy. Save your pennies.

You'll be fine. No reason a car should keep you from hunting! If you're going down a dirt road you don't know, try to have a backup plan if you can't get to your desired location. There are a lot of places that have good access off of paved roads too. Hunting pressure may increase, but I wouldn't rule it out. One of the bigger bulls I've seen in CO was a mile off a paved road in a heavily hunted unit

I will ask a question I haven't seen yet? Is this your daily driver? To go along with that, how much "banging around" can you stomach? Something I saw eluded to but didn't see an answer, are you hunting local or making a long haul to GET TO your hunting? My answer to the hunting vehicle question has been older hunting rigs. I like not having to worry about trail stripes, having the ground clearance that a truck with good tires affords, being able to chain up, having a winch and having an 8 foot bed with a topper to haul. Here are some pics of Doug and a (crappy) video I took of a trip out of our hunting camp a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• 20181017_153214.jpg
    20181017_153214.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20181017_153214 (1).jpg
    20181017_153214 (1).jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Doug.jpeg
    Doug.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 19
Hunt with the Subaru. See if you really like hunting and also if you feel like you need a better off road rig.

Like guns, the best hunting rig is the one you already own!

We're probably getting an outback when we're done with the minivan (the most economical car ever for families) cause my wife just likes them. But I'm overly cautious and don't push my vehicles to the limit of their capabilities. So the worst I'd ever take a Subaru are well-maintained FS roads (even then I'd prefer at C rated tires) and there's plenty of those in CO.

PS: YouTube channel TFL tested an outback on some stuff most people wouldn't take one. Worth checking out.

I think the Subaru's are some of the best AWD vehicles out there. I think you're fine if you just use some common sense. If it looks bad, and feels bad, don't do it. Get yourself a good set of tires and go for it.

I’ve been thinking about going to a forester for hunting....mpg!

There are some pretty affordable lifts for Subaru’s, Anderson design, and another outfit out of Australia...I’ve seen ‘em on social media. It would give you more clearance for chains or bigger tires.

Ran into a guy last year in Colorado hunting elk out of his Subaru, just know your limitations and you'll be fine.

It really just depends on the area and time of year. The units south of me a sube would be practically useless all year However in the units north of me it would be fine September- mid November.
Here most steep forrest service units have good maintained roads and most mild BLM areas are accessible via 20-80 mi nasty two tracks.

No matter what you are driving, you need a plan and tools to get unstuck. A shovel and coverall or ground mat so you can lay beside it and reach that shovel underneath to dig yourself out. Carry a stretchy tow strap so if someone comes along, you will have what you need to get pulled out. Be prepared in case being stuck turns into sheltering in your car. All basic snow and off-road prep kit stuff.

And Welcome!

Thank you all for the overwhelming support, what a kind community. Moving forward, I will invest in some recovery gear and a new set of tires (Falken Wildpeak A/T are my top choice). My hunting ability, or lack thereof, will definitely be the limiting factor for now.

Are you rifle hunting? If so, you may want to hunt first or second rifle season to decrease the possibility of deep snow.
Yes, I applied for a first rifle season tag in unit 82.

One question, are you traveling far/from out of state to be hunting or are you local?

I will ask a question I haven't seen yet? Is this your daily driver? To go along with that, how much "banging around" can you stomach? Something I saw eluded to but didn't see an answer, are you hunting local or making a long haul to GET TO your hunting? My answer to the hunting vehicle question has been older hunting rigs. I like not having to worry about trail stripes, having the ground clearance that a truck with good tires affords, being able to chain up, having a winch and having an 8 foot bed with a topper to haul. Here are some pics of Doug and a (crappy) video I took of a trip out of our hunting camp a couple of years ago.
I currently live in Colorado Springs, there seem to be a lot of hunting opportunities within a 4 hour drive of my home. The Subaru is my daily driver, I want to use it but not abuse it. An old rig sounds like a great idea, something I will definitely consider.

Put good tires on your Subie and you'll be ok, just don't push it up the trails. We were going up a pass a couple years ago that was so rocky and bumpy my buddy got carsick on the way up (and the way down) from the side-to-side rocking. Halfway up there was a group of tricked out Jeeps camped out, along with one guy in an Outback who made it through some stuff I didn't think he could have...of course there were still 5 miles to the top that a few inches of extra clearance would have helped with, so be prepared to do a little extra walking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back