Do I need 4WD? How Capable is Subaru Outback?

My 2016 forester has about 1 inch less ground clearance than my 2016 Tacoma. That's really not bad for a car. Tires are a limitation as well as not having a low range 4WD. It'll make those hills a little easier.

The Subaru can do quite a bit, learn the limitations, learn about recovery, don't overdo it.

Oh, just looked at some other trucks.... Silverado is about 8.8 inches of ground clearance. The Subaru is 8.7.

I do think the Silverado is more capable and less stuff is hanging low.

By saying "ground clearance" when off road most people are referring to breakover, approach and departure angles.

I know a guy who got some good-natured ribbing from his buddies when he first started driving his old Outback to the trailheads. The first time he drove out with a nice 6X6 bull strapped to the roof, the ribbing stopped. It happened to be the vehicle he had, so he made it work.

With traveling from Alabama on 4,000 mile round trips, gas mileage is a big motivator for me. I've got an f-150 that I keep parked and I've made a CR-V work in multiple states at multiple trail heads for 6 years now. It's not limited me on where I want to hunt yet. Have to go a little slower, pick your way around, and maybe get out and move a rock or two, but I've made it work fine. That little suv has seen more blood than most pick-ups :)

Just stay in Boulder with the rest of the trannys. ;)
Classless comment.

@flux This is a shop in Boulder, CO that does lifts on Subaru’s:

There seems to be a lot of aftermarket support for lifting Subaru’s; make the most of what you’ve got but don’t over-invest in the platform. As some of the more helpful comments have stated - get all the essential recovery gear too.

I would have dogged the platform until I firsthand saw my friend make it all the way to the top of Hagerman Pass this summer in his stock Outback loaded down w/ gear. It’s a ‘Red’ class off-road trail; just know your limits.

don’t over-invest in the platform.
This sums it up nicely!

I know this is an old thread so I'll keep my opinion short and drop a little knowledge that a few of you (including the OP) don't seem to know about.

My opinion: Subys are great. IMO ground clearance is *not* the main issue. Nor is the AWD/traction system. They are both quite good. To me it is 1) tires. They are lower profile and weaker than most truck tires. and ultimately smaller than what you'd have on a truck. 2) not wanting to beat up a mostly road-car. If a Suby is what you have then you're fine. Go hunt. Don't over-commit and get yourself stuck in teh back-country. But you can do that easily with a 4x4 truck.

On to the information: Modern outbacks and Imprezza/Crosstreks all come with a threaded bolt for recovery/tow purposes. It can screw into the front or rear bumper. I wouldn't try the Rubicon with just this as a recovery point but for hunting/backroads where you're not planning on getting stuck it's fine. And it's free short of a shackle or some way to attach to it. These pictures I pulled from the 'net are worth more than my words (thanks to whomever originally made these):

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

Screen%252520Shot%2525202016-02-25%252520at%2525204.18.20%252520PM.jpg

On to the information: Modern outbacks and Imprezza/Crosstreks all come with a threaded bolt for recovery/tow purposes. It can screw into the front or rear bumper. I wouldn't try the Rubicon with just this as a recovery point but for hunting/backroads where you're not planning on getting stuck it's fine. And it's free short of a shackle or some way to attach to it.

The threaded bolt you reference is intended to be used for controlled, straight in-line towing. It is not meant for angled dynamic recovery on a stuck vehicle. It may be fine as a last resort but I will not rely on it.

I hunted and fished with a Subaru Outback a number of times. Got it stuck at Lake Hattie near Laramie and had to pay a 350.00 tow bill plus realignment when I tried to drive on lake bed that looked dry and firm and other tracks existed. That was in 2005. Today that bill would be closer to a grand.

You are drastically limited on where you can go with it because of traction and clearance. But you do have options you can do with it but you are pretty much limited to areas that don't need a ton of clearance meaning mostly graded and paved roads. Any ruts in the road pretty much strikes you out of that area. You also can't drive through tall grass especially during fire danger areas because the catalytic converters are known to spark fires.

I know they aren't as good as they used to be after 2014 when they switched to the cvt transmission. They really limit the power to the wheels so to not hurt the transmission.

I drive an Outback and I've never felt limited. Or at least, I've never been unable to go where big trucks can't. A lot of vehicle function is what you're willing to endure. I.e. the people that have 80k brodozers that never leave the pavement.

We drove our trucks five miles up a snowy road on snowmobile tracks last week to get Christmas Trees. On the way back we met a guy in a Subaru who had gotten stuck less than 100 yards from the pavement.

With traction control on or off he couldn't keep the wheels spinning, had no power, and no clearance.
I was sorely disappointed in that car, he had no ability to even assist as we yanked him back to the road.

Last edited:
Way back in the day, an 83 Subaru wagon was my elk hunting rig. It got me everywhere I wanted to go.

It hauled a cow elk my brother in law killed, easy peasy. We just bent the head back and cut the hind legs at the hock. I never hauled my own elk :( but several deer and antelope.

After getting hired at the refinery I upgraded to an 85 Chevy K5 Blazer. A very unreliable rig but when it was chained up,,,, there weren't many places it would not go. I remember pushing snow level to the top of the hood for a good long way until my friend and I decided that we were likely above the elk and nobody else was likely to follow our tracks that far up the mountain.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back