Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Do I need 4WD? How Capable is Subaru Outback?

We drove our trucks five miles up a snowy road on snowmobile tracks last week to get Christmas Trees. On the way back we met a guy in a Subaru who had gotten stuck less than 100 yards from the pavement.

With traction control on or off he couldn't keep the wheels spinning, had no power, and no clearance.
I was sorely disappointed in that car, he had no ability to even assist as we yanked him back to the road.
What tires was he running? I've seen plenty of yuppie assault vehicles in the ditch as well.

Have owned a gl, legacy, and three foresters. They are suprisingly great off road vehicles. when I was young and poor my first 4wd was a gl wagon. I took that thing to some ridiculous places. passed more than one stuck pickup with it.

We know that @wllm1313 hunts out of his Corolla and the occasional Subaru, maybe he’s going after a Property Brothers vibe doing house upgrades as well?

View attachment 176757View attachment 176758

Protip trailer hitch on your small car + Uhaul trailer.

Cheap + no mileage rates. Great for cross town moves or Ikea adventures + way easier getting heavy stuff into a trailer than the bed of a truck.

google image not mine... but you get the point.
1615396751084.png

One way rentals can get expensive. For a long distance, one time deal you might be money ahead to buy a trailer and resell it at the new location. Uhaul prices are good, IMO/E if taking back to the same place.

I drive a 15 Outback, as mentioned clearance is the issue. There are lots of 2" lifts out there for 12-1300$ that are pretty simple installs. Mine has Subaru's X mode which has gotten me in and out and unstuck from some places I had no business being. I also yanked a stuck Tundra out of the South Hills (Twin Falls) last year on a road that turned into a moon dust dozer line from a fire in prior years. It's a pretty sweet rig for what it is, but it still aint a truck. I run snows in the winter and just ordered Toyo ATIII's for it which give it 8/10" more clearance in stick size and are much lighter and easier on the rig than BFG KO2's.

Might work and might not. I used an old 1969 Chev 2 WD a number of years hunting Oregon and it worked fine. The deal is you have to use some common sense or what to try. I've seen stuff I would not attempt in a 4 WD! 4WD does not turn the vehicle into super human! I would suggest taking a good look at your tires though If you have street tires, don't get off a pretty good dirt road! Problem with then #1 for me is to thin of side walls. Prone to being destroyed on a rock!

Some 10 ply tires and you’ll be good for 99.9% of what any state can throw at you. Plus the added benefit of everyone thinking you’re a hippy out looking for a cosmic experience instead of a badass hunter filling tags.

Try to have the exact same tire as a spare as the other 4 tires.
The Subaru is all-wheel drive, so if your spare tire is different than the other three tires,
disable the all wheel drive (put in fuse where FWD in fuse box)
otherwise you can damage the drive train.

Depends where you want to hunt. This is my Jeep. Any less and i'd never get to my hunting areas.

Attachments

• Picture_001.jpg
    Picture_001.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 16
I did some work at Storm Lake in the Pintlers this summer.

The road was garbage, and the trucks we drove up there worked hard and even hit bottom a couple times. When we made it to the top, there sat Subaru, and I could hardly believe it

Your car will work fine. Having a truck is awesome but not necessary. There are areas of Colorado that I wouldn't bring my truck but most roads I've found across multiple units I would run a car just fine. Be ready to change a tire though!

I did antelope hunting in my young and dumb days in a Plymouth Horizon. Main thing I experienced that was bad is one bled into the trunk which was lined with carpet. Took forever to get rid of that awful smell when that blood rotted. LOL

If what you have is a Subaru then don't let that be a reason to stop you from going. Yes there are better options with better ground clearance but a Subaru is capable.

I guess make due with what you have if necessary. I hunted successfully with some real pos cars and trucks when I was younger and had very little money including a Renault alliance which we strapped multiple deer and antelope on top all at one time. That being said if you have the funds just buy a 4 wd truck and ditch the suburu. I skimp and go cheap on all kinds of gear except my vehicle, boots, rifle and optics. I am the guy still wearing green wool pants and the red and black checkered jacket but I go to the max that I can afford on the things mentioned. If the funds are available I would buy a truck and sell the car in a heartbeat. If you can’t just go with it and be smart about it with everything already mentioned. My daughter bought a Subaru and they are nice vehicles but they are definitely not designed for hunting but ya you can make it work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back