Do I need 4WD? How Capable is Subaru Outback?

flux

I am a very new hunter who will be pursuing public land elk hunting in Colorado. I currently own a 2018 Subaru Outback, completely stock except for an old Thule roof box. Can you help me understand what my vehicle limitations/weaknesses are? My friend and I will have to pack out all meat on foot so it is important for me to be able to drive as deep into the woods as possible.

Based on my limited understanding, it seems 4WD is preferable to AWD while off-road. Is 4WD required for serious hunting long term? Aside from upgrading the tires from all season to a mud/snow type, is there anything else I can do to improve my vehicles off-road performance? I do have a set of cables (i.e. tiny snow chains) that Subaru recommends installing on the front wheels only.

Thank you for taking the time to read, appreciate any insight you may have.

-Chris

Larger tires and a suspension lift would help with clearance, getting hung up isn't fun - nor is having components break. A winch, even a simple hand one can be helpful if you get stuck.

I think you'll find the scooby will be able to do more than you're thinking. You won't be rock crawling or anything, but it should do fine.

Owned one for several years and great traction, control. Better than both trucks I’ve owned. If the road looks iffy clearance-wise, don’t attempt it. Too easy to get hung up. Welcome to HT

Welcome to HT.

Clearance will probably be more of an issue than lack of 4WD. The Outback will make a lot of places in the absence of a ton of snow or mud. I've seen some odd vehicles back down some pretty bad roads.

If it's a long term thing I'd be looking at something with real 4WD, but the Outback will get you a lot of places.

As far as limitation/weaknesses, you can’t run chains due to clearance so you need to be careful when it snows or rains and gets muddy. Don’t park in spots that will be impossible to get out of if conditions deteriorate. A trail I've hunted a bunch gets super sketchy the last .25 mile. I park before it gets bad and just hike in, when I get an animal I pack it to the trailhead then go get my car... during good conditions I can make it, under poor conditions I'd be hosed. Just use your head.

For the most part if you can’t do it in an outback you won’t be able to do it in any stock truck, Toyota TRD/Ford Raptor/etc excluded.

Generally speaking for elk and deer it's really a non-issue. You just have to avoid some units and/or hunting units in certain ways.

Example I drive a corolla, if I'm thinking about hunting say the flat tops, an area with tons of dirt roads I would focus on the wilderness area. I would park on a primary road and hike in, I would avoid driving the huge portion of the unit that is covered in dirt roads. 1. More likely to get stuck, 2. I know there will be tons of guys on ATVs ripping around everywhere and they will have the upper hand.

Sangres, West Elks, San Juans, West half of the flat tops, Summit county, grand county, etc are all pretty friendly to low clearance vehicles.

I've never needed a 4WD in CO for Elk and deer.

There is one caveat, sheep and goat. There are a bunch of sheep and goat units where you have zero chance without a great 4WD vehicle. The critters are way up on the side of a mountain and the only access is a 15+ mile boney-ass road. 🤷‍♂️

Google Randy's CO sheep hunt, that will give you an idea.

A four wheel drive isn't necessary to hunt. You can hunt off the highways and good gravel roads in a car. But you will limit the areas that you can access. I would recommend getting a truck at some point.

I take my Suby a lot of places, but it doesn’t feel nearly as sturdy as the truck. Clearance, mud and snow are always the limiting factors when I take the car. Way easier to get hung up on smaller obstacles than I have to worry about in the truck. I prefer the flexibility of 4WD, bigger tires, added clearance and sturdier suspension for serious ruts, rocks, mud, and snow. I’ve thanked my lucky stars for 4-low and chains a few times 😳

You can do a lot with the Subaru but it isn’t the best tool to get the job done in a lot of places.

I've hunted the last 5 years in Colorado with my 2wd Arizona truck. The places I had to stay out of, I wouldn't have gone into unless I had a quad. Snow, mud and deep loose sand will be your enemy. Use your head, you'll be able to go down 80% of the roads in the Colorado mountains.

And throw a few straps shovel and a come along in the boot, you'll be able to get yourself out of a lot of bad situations

I've done a few late season hunts in an outback, got me in far enough to get elk. Having hunted the same area with a truck and chains on all four I was definitely limited in access with the outback comparatively. Got some great looks from the 4X4s hauling quarters out on the roof of the rubaru though. Some of the vehicle recovery tracks are probably worth throwing in with your other gear for getting unstuck.

My daily driver is a 11 outback and I hunt with it all the time. I run AT tires and it will get you most places. I save the F150 for when I need to bring the wall tent or when the snow is deep.

Go hunt! Good tires, a big come-a-long or winch, and some common sense will get you 90% of the places a 1/2 pu will.

Its all about having the right gear for the job. AWD has its place and its better then not but you're extremely limited in cargo capacity which translates into creature comforts on a long term hunt in weather, which in Colorado after Labor Day can mean big deep cold snows. 4X4, ground clearance, E-rated M&S tires and V-claw chains will keep you out of trouble. And don't forget the chainsaw. Having a big blow come through and you're camped way back you'll probably have to cut up a few trees that have fallen across the track to get out. The good news is your Suby is in high demand. I'd sell it off now and pickup a good low mileage Silverado with the Z71 suspension package.

The bigger question you should ask yourself is (assuming you only want/can own one vehicle) is do you want to drive a big truck around all the time. There is zero reason you need a high clearance 4wd to hunt elk. Sure, you won't drive everywhere but there's more than enough country to hunt in that doesn't require more than your Subaru. I drive around an old Sequoia and still walk when the road gets nasty.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back