Yeti GOBOX Collection

Do I need 4WD? How Capable is Subaru Outback?

Thank you all for the overwhelming support, what a kind community. Moving forward, I will invest in some recovery gear and a new set of tires (Falken Wildpeak A/T are my top choice). My hunting ability, or lack thereof, will definitely be the limiting factor for now.

Yes, I applied for a first rifle season tag in unit 82.

I currently live in Colorado Springs, there seem to be a lot of hunting opportunities within a 4 hour drive of my home. The Subaru is my daily driver, I want to use it but not abuse it. An old rig sounds like a great idea, something I will definitely consider.
I am in the Springs as well. I hunt GMU26. Let me know if you want to take a look at Doug (the Dodge) to see what is reasonable. Truck was $2000, winch $500, chains $200 .....I have put about 4000 miles on him so far.

I am a very new hunter who will be pursuing public land elk hunting in Colorado. I currently own a 2018 Subaru Outback, completely stock except for an old Thule roof box. Can you help me understand what my vehicle limitations/weaknesses are? My friend and I will have to pack out all meat on foot so it is important for me to be able to drive as deep into the woods as possible.

Based on my limited understanding, it seems 4WD is preferable to AWD while off-road. Is 4WD required for serious hunting long term? Aside from upgrading the tires from all season to a mud/snow type, is there anything else I can do to improve my vehicles off-road performance? I do have a set of cables (i.e. tiny snow chains) that Subaru recommends installing on the front wheels only.

Thank you for taking the time to read, appreciate any insight you may have.

-Chris

Probably a lot more capable than most people think. I wouldn't go looking for mud holes to run it in due to ground clearance issues but you'll be pretty well equipped with what you have.

My dad hunted and fished his entire life all over the state of NM and never owned a 4wd. 2wd pick up with limited slip rear and chains got us everywhere back in the 70s and 80s. You should be good to go. Take the advice on the previous posts to heart and be smart about what NOT to attempt and you'll be golden. Welcome and good luck this year! Have fun!

I currently have 3 Subarus in my fleet. 2 Outbacks and a Forester XT. I wouldn't dream of taking any them truly off road. By the time you invest in real off road tires, a winch, a lift kit and skid plates you could have a 15-20 year old suburban that is far more capable and comfortable. I also have a $3000 2500 that I don't mind skipping off rocks or or getting pinstriped by brush. It will haul plenty of gear and I can easily sleep in it if needed.

Sandbrew

View attachment 139868View attachment 139868
Sometimes, it just don't work out. mtmuley
I’m shocked they actually had chains (kind of) to try. I found a similarly stuck Honda crossover in the middle of a mountain two track in central Wyoming. Punctured oil pan from rocks and a trail of oil to where they ran it dry. Some places call for good trucks and off road capable tires.

MaxTrax are also a good investment, especially if you don’t have the wheel clearance to allow for aggressive chains. I have a winch, but also carry MaxTrax. The MaxTrax get way more use than the winch. Winch is primarily used to pull other people out when they slide completely off the road/trail.

MaxTrax are also a good investment, especially if you don’t have the wheel clearance to allow for aggressive chains. I have a winch, but also carry MaxTrax. The MaxTrax get way more use than the winch. Winch is primarily used to pull other people out when they slide completely off the road/trail.
Are you mainly using them in snow? I’ve been eyeballing a set for a while.

What good are those traction boards if the road is deep snow for miles? mtmuley
Probably not much. I’m thinking more for situations where you get stuck/high centered and need to get headed backwards. Mainly with drifts.

They aren’t a replacement for chains by any means. Just a way to get yourself unstuck if you go too far into what you shouldn’t have. Can help get you thru a small bad patch, but more importantly to be able to get you back to point A when point B proves unattainable.

They all have their upsides and downsides. The Forrester I sometimes drove (belonged to a buddy) was the cats ass getting to and from the hunting area, it was really good on the interstate and would do ten over the limit most anywhere. Comfortable, fast and economical. As mentioned low ground clearance was the main problem when off the beaten path, it didn't take too much of a center crown on a dirt road to cause issues. I have no idea if the two-inch switch lift is standard or an option on newer models, his had a switch that would lift two inches at the flip of a switch and if you forgot and left it on it would lower itself above 30 MPH (i think maybe 35).

My Silverado short bed was the best off-road, my Cherokee second best, my Suzuki (Jimny) way more capable than you'd think and in some instances better than the Cherokee. The short wheelbase of the Jimney made it real squirrely in ice and snow. The locking rear axle made it a mini tank.

OP here, wanted to provide an update after 5 months of testing my Subaru’s capabilities in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

The Subaru is more capable than I anticipated but I feel it belongs on paved roads, there was a noticeable smell (I think from the transmission being overworked) after a lot of low and slow driving. Most people said ground clearance would be my biggest limiting factor and they were 100% right.

Long term, I plan to purchase an ATV or old truck like "SFC B" suggested. For now, my Subaru will have to suffice so I put together a recovery kit with an air compressor, traction boards, tire repair kit, and snatch strap. I also installed a hitch for a rear recovery point and just got some AT tires. I plan to add skid plates but they will reduce the ground clearance by ~0.5”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back