MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cam Hanes new book “Endure”

1652908217376.png

1652908236115.png

Cam, when he was the editor of Eastman's Bowhunting journal certainly inspired me to become more fit, shoot my bow better, spend the night on the mountain and go after my hunting dreams. Not because I thought he was so great, but more from the standpoint of "If this guy can do that, then I can do what I want to."

Now he has attained celebrity status and he has to keep doing more and more extreme things to stay relevant in an "industry" that is fueled by narcissism, greed and ego. I know a lot of successful hunters, I know a lot of dedicated weightlifters, I know a lot of people who have run marathons and ultramarathons. Every one of the really successful ones have a warped sense of values that makes them so successful. Some folks let it creep into their personality and are insufferable pricks. Others are really unassuming and don't let it change them.

One thing about Cam, he's never criticized some other hunter's achievements. It could be a spike fork buck shot from the road and he would tell the guy "Nice job man" (and probably "keep hammering") :rolleyes: . In person he is nice to young children (old people and dogs too I assume.)

There are way too many other hunting celebs out there worthy of our disdain for me to bag on Cam.

Yeah well Randy has never tried to shoot an elk after snorting a gram of preworkout
that sounds like the worst! A couple years ago I was trying to loose weight and get in shape for my first sheep hunt and was lifting weights to rebuild some muscle mass and we got a nice protein shake so I could add protein to my diet without a lot of calories... well it came with a 'free' pre work out. I took it twice.... and both times I thought i was going to die. My sweat burned, my whole body itched, my heart was racing.... and apparently that is a fairly normal reaction to PreWorkouts. And I took it with like 12 ounces of water. Snorting it sounds AWFUL:sick:

View attachment 222930

View attachment 222931

Cam, when he was the editor of Eastman's Bowhunting journal certainly inspired me to become more fit, shoot my bow better, spend the night on the mountain and go after my hunting dreams. Not because I thought he was so great, but more from the standpoint of "If this guy can do that, then I can do what I want to."

Now he has attained celebrity status and he has to keep doing more and more extreme things to stay relevant in an "industry" that is fueled by narcissism, greed and ego. I know a lot of successful hunters, I know a lot of dedicated weightlifters, I know a lot of people who have run marathons and ultramarathons. Every one of the really successful ones have a warped sense of values that makes them so successful. Some folks let it creep into their personality and are insufferable pricks. Others are really unassuming and don't let it change them.

One thing about Cam, he's never criticized some other hunter's achievements. It could be a spike fork buck shot from the road and he would tell the guy "Nice job man" (and probably "keep hammering") :rolleyes: . In person he is nice to young children (old people and dogs too I assume.)

There are way too many other hunting celebs out there worthy of our disdain for me to bag on Cam.
1st time I met him was decades ago in Powell at a EBJ event. At the time I thought it would be great to be able to hunt and make extra money writing about it. I didn't know much. I wrote a few B-grade articles and took them along to get input. First thing I learned, there was no payment. It was more like them doing you a favor to "get your face out there" and drum up "sponsors". A couple of the articles were about rifle hunts, of which Cam referred to as "legalized poaching." He looked at one picture of an archery bull I shot and noticed a valley in the background and made a comment about how the packout must not have been that hard. It was a public land, over the counter, opening day archery bull I'd been watching that summer, scored 363 gross P&Y. It was taken in a wilderness area 6+ miles in, and had to all come out up over 1000ft through deadfall hell. He liked one of the articles for EBJ, about a pronghorn bowhunt. He said that I really needed to write a section about what gear made it happen. At about that point in the conversation, I realized this writing stuff wasn't for me. I said I'd edit the pronghorn article, but it would have to be a "cover" story. It made the cover. Wanna see it? I saved a copy. It's the funniest part.

I have met cam 2x over the years. Both short interactions were very positive. I could not believe how much his body changed between those meetings. From a pure physical conditioning standpoint, he is an inspiration. You just can't outwork the guy.
I just ordered the book and am looking forward to reading it.

1st time I met him was decades ago in Powell at a EBJ event. At the time I thought it would be great to be able to hunt and make extra money writing about it. I didn't know much. I wrote a few B-grade articles and took them along to get input. First thing I learned, there was no payment. It was more like them doing you a favor to "get your face out there" and drum up "sponsors". A couple of the articles were about rifle hunts, of which Cam referred to as "legalized poaching." He looked at one picture of an archery bull I shot and noticed a valley in the background and made a comment about how the packout must not have been that hard. It was a public land, over the counter, opening day archery bull I'd been watching that summer, scored 363 gross P&Y. It was taken in a wilderness area 6+ miles in, and had to all come out up over 1000ft through deadfall hell. He liked one of the articles for EBJ, about a pronghorn bowhunt. He said that I really needed to write a section about what gear made it happen. At about that point in the conversation, I realized this writing stuff wasn't for me. I said I'd edit the pronghorn article, but it would have to be a "cover" story. It made the cover. Wanna see it? I saved a copy. It's the funniest part.
Did you every publish or post the elk story, that actually sounds like something worth the time to read.

I have met cam 2x over the years. Both short interactions were very positive. I could not believe how much his body changed between those meetings. From a pure physical conditioning standpoint, he is an inspiration. You just can't outwork the guy.
I just ordered the book and am looking forward to reading it.
lol he’s a roid monkey. U think a dude gets that jacked in his late 40s is natty?

It beats me as to why so many respond to this idea of hunting needing to be So Damn Hard all the time. It's like the fabricated drama of wrestling or the bachelor, these guys casting themselves as warriors on some grueling saga. I am so thankful I don't feel guilty about actually enjoying hunts.

Back