MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The Last Hunt (A Story)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Absolutely terrific story, and a message that is true. I never got to hunt with my granddad. Alzheimer’s had made that impossible by the time I was old enough to join along, and now due to a failing body, I don’t know how many more hunts I have with my dad. Thanks for the reminder of the important and beautiful.

Wow, that’s a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man. I’m sure he’s smiling down on you. Thank you for posting this.

Your grandfather reminds me a ton of my 80-something year old uncle in Lander. Salt of the earth and tough as nails (retired drywaller).

Very touching story well told Snowy. Thanks

I hope your granddad had a laugh like my Uncle Dutch. Completely freely given guffaws at the slightest humor, it made you want to be funny when you around him.

I believe your granddad is indeed proud of who you have become.

Thanks for sharing. My dad passed at 82 and I was blessed to have spent some quality time with him both hunting and in the mountains.

I would for sure agree that you learn more about someone hunting with them than just about any other activity.

Gulp. Throat got tight reading that. Thanks for sharing.

It caused me to pull up photos of my last hunt with my Grandfather. So much of what you have expressed is felt in me when I see these photos of our bear hunt in Alaska and our moose hunt a few years prior to that.

I suspect others have similar feelings, both when reading your story and when rummaging through images of hunts with their mentors.

Thank you all for the kind words, I'm glad it was an avenue for some to consider fond memories with friends and family. I also know there are some who never had a figure like that in their life, and these reflections aren't as much fun. My grandfather didn't have such a mentor himself, his dad was killed when he was 8 years old. We each have an opportunity to be the very first outdoor resource for someone out there, even if we don't feel equipped.

Great write up Glenn. I would give anything to have spent time in the mountains with my Grandpa. He passed when I was really young and I have very few memories of him. You are absolutely right in that each of us has the opportunity to make an impact on someone like your Granddad did on you. Some awesome memories right there! Thanks for sharing!

Dang man, that was outstanding.

Getting to that point a bit with my own Dad and had similar experiences with my grandfathers.

Don't think my prose is anywhere near as good as yours. That was wonderfully written. 👍

He walked with the humility and confidence that come from equal parts character and hard knock skill. With nothing to prove there was no need for bravado, real or false. Granddad was like the mountain was, and that’s something a boy looks up to.
That paragraph right there belongs in the annals of fine literature.

He must have been a fine man. You have honored him well.

Very often I wonder if we are living up to the bar that our grandparents set, clearly you are, he would be proud. Great story, best thing I’ve read in weeks.. thank you for sharing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back