The Last Hunt (A Story)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16014

This leans heavily sentimental, so if you're a cold-hearted SOB feel free move on by...or maybe you'd better read it. This seems like a reasonable time for reflection about the meaning of time spent in the mountains. I've been sitting on this for a long time.

The Last Hunt

As much as I hear that things have drastically changed in the 21st century, I’m firm in my belief that what people need and want hasn’t changed much at all. As hunters we want to be respected for our effort and prove to ourselves (and probably others if we’re honest) that we’ve gained a special skill set that is useful. This is often accomplished through a version of apprenticeship to family or trusted friends. Maybe your outdoor mentor comes easily to mind, or maybe you’ve yet to find one. Mine was granddad.

I looked up to him with superhero awe because he seemed to have a connection with the mountains that couldn’t be matched. He was always strong for his old age, never overly concerned with bad weather, good weather, or any other vagary of mountain pursuits. He walked with the humility and confidence that come from equal parts character and hard knock skill. With nothing to prove there was no need for bravado, real or false. Granddad was like the mountain was, and that’s something a boy looks up to.

I grew up hunting in a style where if you had a pocket of shells and a candy bar in your pack there wasn’t much else to want. We always saw a few deer, and occasionally killed a good one. Evening meals at camp were time for old stories. Loggers by trade, my family patriarchs had spent countless days in the type of country I dreamt about all day at school. At trip’s end we would gather in the garage with the whole family to cut, grind, and package meat. Those memories were larger than life until the next fall came around.

1585322738987.png

As granddad passed his 81st birthday and approached the fall of 2010, he was still planning to come along on our annual mule deer hunt. He and I would move up to a point that he liked to glass from on the day before the season and camp out overnight. It wasn’t a long walk, maybe 2.5 miles, but that was a tough hike at his age and if we camped out he’d be fresh in the morning.

As far as I know he hadn’t slept out on a “backpacking” trip since he was young, and even then probably not on purpose. I doubled up on sleeping gear and he took a daypack with some snacks, a bottle of water, and his tang safety Ruger. The weather was great, and we figured to make good time to our destination.

Granddad didn’t walk as fast as I did anymore. Half way up I remember him saying something like, “Why don’t you just go on ahead, I can’t go like I used to”. I told him I was in no hurry, I just wanted to enjoy the trip and have a good hunt. We kept along at a slow but consistent pace until we reached a little flat below our vantage.

1585323268874.png

I’d come a long way in my path as an outdoorsman, merging fresh climbing and mountaineering experience with fall hunting. In my spare time at college I ate up every bit of mountain literature that I could. I relished stories of alpinism from American and European climbers. These were real mountain hard men with the mental game to beat the odds. Granted, alpinists on average seemed like a self-conscious lot. Amazing adventurers yes, but never quite comfortable or happy. Not like granddad, who always seemed to be both.

TBC...

Up on the mountain I felt a little silly pulling out my modern backpacking gadgets and high loft down. Somewhere in my psyche the little insecurities inherent to all men came to the surface. What did he think about all this? How did I stack up as an outdoorsman?

After setting up camp we had a look around and spotted some bucks feeding in the cliffs far above. Hopefully they’d be there in the morning. As the sun set and late October cold set in, granddad started a good fire. This was a hunting ritual of his that I had come to expect. We were exposed enough that I’m sure most game within a few miles knew something was up, but I didn’t care. We ate rehydrated supper by the fire and once again there wasn’t much else to want.

1585323757829.png

Morning found us behind binoculars. I spotted a mature buck that would require a long stalk and we split up. He headed down toward camp and I would try for this buck, meeting up with my dad if I didn’t succeed. Sure enough the gray ghost slipped away before the sun hit his antlers.

We met up and glassed through afternoon flurries. I eventually spotted a small buck getting up from his bed behind a gnarled fir. I put my compact 25x spotter on the tripod and got a better look. While the small 3x4 frame was nothing spectacular in stature, it had been a good hunt and special time; I wanted to bring that deer home. With plenty of time to set up I held for the distance and he dropped at the shot. On the way up to handle my kill, another buck bounded into view. I watched through the binoculars and called shots as dad hit him once, then again. Darkness was coming right along. We butchered them both by headlamp and reached camp in the emptiness of night, full of good feelings to make up for it.

1585323862761.png

Heavy packs greeted us the next morning and we met up with granddad down below. He was proud of us. It occurred to me for the first time that to him my dad was still the boy that he had taught to hunt. He delighted in his success just like my dad delighted in mine, and like I will one day with my own children. It was one of the smallest bucks I’ve killed, but I still have the antlers. They might be my favorite set. The skull cap broke on a tumble down the hill, so the rack sits held by a twisted band of hide that I never bothered to take off.

1585324071480.png

The next year granddad was too weak to come along, and by the following season he had passed away. Maybe it’s because I want it to be true, but I think those of us that he hunted with knew him best. Not to say that as a matter of pride. I simply know that I feel most like myself in the tall hills, and I believe he did too.

The first season with him gone was tough. Things weren’t bad by any measure, but they were not the same. When life changes in a way we don’t like it’s natural to grasp for the familiar. Up in the wilderness the country was unchanged and the crafty mountain bucks didn’t know any different. October colors by the light of a low sun will always be good medicine.

My last hunt with granddad felt like the passing of a torch, though not for my hunting skills or life experience measuring up to his. The truth was he did approve of who I’d become. I had learned his love of wild places, quiet confidence, and care for people. In the end, there isn’t much else to want.

If we as mountain hunters want to pass on the meaning and depth of what we relish in, I believe that evolving a message to match the times is only the surface of things. It’s not flashy, but a commitment to skill, credibility, and learning your prey is timeless. Those who take simple joy in experiencing the mountains have the secret, from the first hunt to the last.

Excellent story. Thank you for sharing it. I'm leaning back right now thinking about my grandpa and all of the memories I was lucky enough to make with him, most notably my first deer. Of all his grandkids, none were as close to him as I was and that's a direct result of the hunting and fishing we did together. It sounds like you were as lucky.

That’s a great story and you did a hell of a job writing it up, thanks for sharing! I hope we all have some memories that a story like that one brings back to mind

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back