First bear

peterk1234

So I'm home doing some work when I get a call from my son in law. He and his friend were out on the backside of a nearby mountain hunting grouse. They brought a rifle just in case they came across a deer or bear.

Well no deer. But there was a bear. 20 yard shot.

He sent me the coordinates. Only a mile in but several hundred feet of up and down and back up, then down, then up. Heavy loads so we could get out on first trip. Well, heavy for me anyway. Did I say I'm getting too old for this?

29021.jpeg

That’s a heck of a bear!
This is our first one so we really don't have a great reference. But it looked like a big one, especially since we practically died hauling out the quarters, hide and head, backstraps etc. The hide and head alone made up one load for the guy that can carry twice as much as I can.

So we had the game warden come by to check in the bear. His comment was, "whoah that's a big bear." Said he has been doing this fifteen years and has not seen one that big.
Figured it's around eight to ten years old. He thinks it could be a state record. Is it truly possible? We just have nothing to gauge it by.

Slightly better angle pic.

29199.jpeg

So we had the game warden come by to check in the bear. His comment was, "whoah that's a big bear." Said he has been doing this fifteen years and has not seen one that big.
Figured it's around eight to ten years old. He thinks it could be a state record. Is it truly possible? We just have nothing to gauge it by.

Slightly better angle pic.

View attachment 303140
What state? It looks like a nice bear for sure. Unless you're like 7ft 4 or something. By those pics I'd have a hard time believing that's a state record bear considering the state record bear got shot out of a corn field east of billings that was pushing 660lbs and had a 21 13/16 inch skull.

That's nothing to take away from the bear you harvested. He's a good looking bruin.

Last edited:
Wow. Any idea on weight and skull measurement on that one. Beautiful bear.
That bear was killed east of billings out of a corn field. Weighed like 660lbs or something which is insane for any bear let alone a MT bear. Skull was pushing 22 inches.

The bear you killed is a great bear congrats.

My son in law dropped the bear hide with head at the taxidermist today. He couldn't believe the size. He worked on it immediately. Unofficial measurement is 21 and 2/16. After sixty days we will get a certified measurement. We are mainly meat hunters. But I have to admit, this is kind of exciting.

Supposedly only six bears over 21 inches have ever been reported in montana.

My son in law dropped the bear hide with head at the taxidermist today. He couldn't believe the size. He worked on it immediately. Unofficial measurement is 21 and 2/16. After sixty days we will get a certified measurement. We are mainly meat hunters. But I have to admit, this is kind of exciting.

Supposedly only six bears over 21 inches have ever been reported in montana.
Damn that's a hell of a bear congrats!

Woohoo! Congratulations! That's a real pretty bear. Post the hide and skull measurements when you can.

Attachments

• Measure a Bear Hide.jpg
    Measure a Bear Hide.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back