A wolfs elk story

xgener

I am torn on the wolf subject. I have shot a few in Frank Church, where I was care taker for three years on private in holding. I have seen slaughtered elk with there uterus eaten. The elk were trapped on the salmon river trail in a rock slide. No where to go. The wolves are smart, lethal hunters.

Three years ago I shot a 7 x 7 bull. I was 6000 feet off the river and 7-1/2 miles back. Four days later I called in another 7 x 7 that my friend shot.
The bear is sitting on my gut pile as we walked by before we killed his 7 x 7 three hundred yards apart.
IMG_0237.JPGIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0235.JPG

I have love hate relationship with that bear. I fed him three elk gut piles that year, and he had more than enough huckleberries to keep him happy. About a year later I was up at my elk camp cutting firewood and went to get water at the spring. On the way back to camp got a real back of the neck hair standing feeling, turned and that bear was 150 yards chomping his jaws at me. Dropped down and pinned his ears back and came a running. I am glad it was a black bear not a grizzly. They can be reasoned with.

I know I started this about wolves. So the last day of the season my friends son wanted go up where we killed these bulls. I am fine with it and that youngster went tearing off up the hill. Me and his dad felt cocktail thirty coming on, so we up held cocktail hour. Right about dark we get a text (his son had an in reach) that he had shot nice 6 x 6. We happily load up and started the drunken hike. We didn't get to my camp until 3 in the morning. and he killed his bull two hundred yards out my camp. Got there helped his son finish field dressing his elk. Went back to where my camp was and fell asleep for bit around a fire.

The next morning I went down to the spring (200 yards off the saddle we were camped) to get water for coffee and the mountian houses. Right when I got back to camp that lone howl a 1/4 mile away started. No sooner than the that lone howl danced across the morning sunrise, the forest lit up with howls. Right where I just hiked up from getting water. That pack probably watched me get water. Even "cooler" they didn't care we were there. They knew we were there. In between their morning seranade you could hear the adults putting the pups in there place. It was unreal..

I have walked right into a bedded grizzly in the Brooks, been bluffed charged a few times by black bears, but being in the middle of pack wolves feeding was pretty amazing. That morning was cool, clear and crisp. And we were packing my son's 6 x 6 out. I feel lucky.

I feel lucky.

You were lucky! I have heard the same while moose hunting in Ontario and hope to hear it again on my own property soon.
9ieKQnd.jpg

Not a clue. That's why the experiment. Mystery to me, but I'll find out eventually. I've got the rest of my life to figure it out.
I had a camp set up when I heard those wolves. I had run into a guy that had to head into the drainage where they were to get to the trailhead. It was a big deal to him. He almost spent the night in my camp instead. mtmuley

I had a camp set up when I heard those wolves. I had run into a guy that had to head into the drainage where they were to get to the trailhead. It was a big deal to him. He almost spent the night in my camp instead. mtmuley
I suppose it can be a bit unnerving if they really get going and surround you. I'm not sure if the Ontario wolves were talking about me, but for a little bit the group that surrounded me, seemed to be moving with me. Then they were gone. Beamed back up to their starship I guess.

I suppose it can be a bit unnerving if they really get going and surround you. I'm not sure if the Ontario wolves were talking about me, but for a little bit the group that surrounded me, seemed to be moving with me. Then they were gone. Beamed back up to their starship I guess.
It was a bit eerie given they were so close. I never felt threatened. I actually went to school with the guy I ran into that night. He's comfy in the woods but wasn't looking forward to the trip to his truck. mtmuley

I am torn on the wolf subject. I have shot a few in Frank Church, where I was care taker for three years on private in holding. I have seen slaughtered elk with there uterus eaten. The elk were trapped on the salmon river trail in a rock slide. No where to go. The wolves are smart, lethal hunters.

Three years ago I shot a 7 x 7 bull. I was 6000 feet off the river and 7-1/2 miles back. Four days later I called in another 7 x 7 that my friend shot.
The bear is sitting on my gut pile as we walked by before we killed his 7 x 7 three hundred yards apart.
View attachment 321727View attachment 321728View attachment 321729

I have love hate relationship with that bear. I fed him three elk gut piles that year, and he had more than enough huckleberries to keep him happy. About a year later I was up at my elk camp cutting firewood and went to get water at the spring. On the way back to camp got a real back of the neck hair standing feeling, turned and that bear was 150 yards chomping his jaws at me. Dropped down and pinned his ears back and came a running. I am glad it was a black bear not a grizzly. They can be reasoned with.

I know I started this about wolves. So the last day of the season my friends son wanted go up where we killed these bulls. I am fine with it and that youngster went tearing off up the hill. Me and his dad felt cocktail thirty coming on, so we up held cocktail hour. Right about dark we get a text (his son had an in reach) that he had shot nice 6 x 6. We happily load up and started the drunken hike. We didn't get to my camp until 3 in the morning. and he killed his bull two hundred yards out my camp. Got there helped his son finish field dressing his elk. Went back to where my camp was and fell asleep for bit around a fire.

The next morning I went down to the spring (200 yards off the saddle we were camped) to get water for coffee and the mountian houses. Right when I got back to camp that lone howl a 1/4 mile away started. No sooner than the that lone howl danced across the morning sunrise, the forest lit up with howls. Right where I just hiked up from getting water. That pack probably watched me get water. Even "cooler" they didn't care we were there. They knew we were there. In between their morning seranade you could hear the adults putting the pups in there place. It was unreal..

I have walked right into a bedded grizzly in the Brooks, been bluffed charged a few times by black bears, but being in the middle of pack wolves feeding was pretty amazing. That morning was cool, clear and crisp. And we were packing my son's 6 x 6 out. I feel lucky.
OK so was it your son or your friend's son? Or was it a different time with your son?

I get it that wolves and lions and bears eat elk that we would like to eat. And they need to be managed. But woods without 'em are a bit too boring for me. I'll eat the occasional tag for the privilege of hunting around four-leggeds who are so much better at it than I will ever be.

I get it that wolves and lions and bears eat elk that we would like to eat. And they need to be managed. But woods without 'em are a bit too boring for me. I'll eat the occasional tag for the privilege of hunting around four-leggeds who are so much better at it than I will ever be.
It defies the laws of logic that some try to say the woofs are eating all the elk but I need unlimited landowner bull tags because I have too many cow elk on my land.
SMH.
But then neither the Montana nor Idaho legislators are trained in logic.

It defies the laws of logic that some try to say the woofs are eating all the elk but I need unlimited landowner bull tags because I have too many cow elk on my land.
SMH.
But then neither the Montana nor Idaho legislators are trained in logic.
Wyoming keeps having one great elk season after another.

I reread the part of what I posted with my friends son. I have no idea why you are confused other than you are just trying to be a smart ass.
I actually liked your post. Last sentence says packing out your son's 6x6. Was that the same time or different time? You don't know me well enough to call me a smart ass. Although if you did, it might be justified.

I actually liked your post. Last sentence says packing out your son's 6x6. Was that the same time or different time? You don't know me well enough to call me a smart ass. Although if you did, it might be justified.
The post was an interesting conglomerate of experiences. Couldn't figure out the point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back