Bozeman: is it really that bad anymore?

Based on my protracted experience in formerly rural CO, I suggest those Montanans not familiar w the term Sacrifice Zone get so.

A related concept is the 20 year residence interval or hop, which is probably more like 10 years nowadays. Right now there are a few places near Bozeman where formerly satisfied residents immigrated to, seeking "what Bozeman was like 20 years ago." If they timed it right they sold well in BZN and bought cheap in their 1st hop. In 10 years the 1st hop will be overflowing w lifestyle refugees from Bozeman, real estate in the 1st hop location will be killing, and the smart money will be finding the 2nd hop location to urbanize. This is already happening, resist at your own peril or go with it and prosper. Plus our warming climate is melting one of the largest barriers to MT relocation.

Based on my protracted experience in formerly rural CO, I suggest those Montanans not familiar w the term Sacrifice Zone get so.

A related concept is the 20 year residence interval or hop, which is probably more like 10 years nowadays. Right now there are a few places near Bozeman where formerly satisfied residents immigrated to, seeking "what Bozeman was like 20 years ago." If they timed it right they sold well in BZN and bought cheap in their 1st hop. In 10 years the 1st hop will be overflowing w lifestyle refugees from Bozeman, real estate in the 1st hop location will be killing, and the smart money will be finding the 2nd hop location to urbanize. This is already happening, resist at your own peril or go with it and prosper.

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right. But I donā€™t like this.

Bozemanā€˜s location, along with the fact that there really are other Bozeman-like things happening to places like Missoula, Kalispell, even Helena.

Eastern Montana is Beautiful, but if you want to live in the mountains, Montana doesnā€™t offer too many places to hop. The lumpy part of our landscape has a lot of tumors that are growing.

Bozemanā€˜s location, along with the fact that there really are other Bozeman-like things happening to places like Missoula, Kalispell, even Helena.

Eastern Montana is Beautiful, but if you want to live in the mountains, Montana doesnā€™t offer too many places to hop. The lumpy part of our landscape has a lot of tumors that are growing.
And the places to ā€œhopā€ to are already as expensive as Bozeman. Montana is a big place, but mountains only cover 1/3 of the state. Thereā€™s not really anywhere to run to.

I don't like it either though he's spot on.
No one discounts this as occuring elsewhere in the "big" cities of MT. This merely happens to be a thread on Bozeman.
Take for instance Missoula (aka The Zoo, pardon the label butthurt-titis), Lolo, Stevensville, Hamilton, (now Darby) (South), E. Zoo, Clinton, Turah (East), Frenchtown, Huson, Alberton, (west) etc.

It's a squeeze play regardless the city. Takes money to make money though at mid+ class income in the early stage of life, to manage land purchase outside the current population zones, it beats a TSP/401, retirement plan, hands down.

Wish my brain wrapped around opportunities, such as these, when I was pounding Coors. Hah!

Side note: "Opportunities" = shit sandwich, multi generation, force squeezed lemons into lemonade.

Just watched some of Costner's Yellowstone Dutton Ranch drama and mischaracterization of Montana, with an obvious lack of creative language skills since every adjective, adverb, exclamation phrase or other modifier is simply the F-bomb. 'Gets old quick! The characters are interesting and the violence is rampant, if you are into lots of that.

However, some of the plot lines are pretty accurate parallels with what has been transpiring in Montana and, in particular, around Bozeman. The evil east coast conglomerate corporation intent on removing the Dutton ranching itself, along with the environment it encompasses, so closely resembles Cross Harbor Capital who own Big Sky and the Yellowstone Club that it is really scary to someone who has been watching that evolve. Cross Harbor has bought up the historic Gallatin Gateway Inn (now a service worker facility with huge square dormitory buildings on each end), has built a for-lease-or-rent 350 unit village on Hwy 191 at Gateway, purchased the Crazy Mountain Ranch and Deadrock on the west slopes of the Crazy Mountains and up higher, and other properties, some of which likely are not known publicly.

The development associated with this massive ski resort related take-over of the Bozeman area has already created very concerning impacts regarding traffic, wildlife, West Gallatin River contamination, Gallatin & Madison range viewshed and forest preservation, housing cost and availability problems, and much much more. For me as a longtime resident, the list goes on and on. Some days it sparks a real depressing gloom as I realize the related changes and accompanying problems, so thanks for allowing this HT rant. :mad:

If you've just begun watching, best to you and your new neighbors. Article upon article about
Just watched some of Costner's Yellowstone Dutton Ranch drama and mischaracterization of Montana, with an obvious lack of creative language skills since every adjective, adverb, exclamation phrase or other modifier is simply the F-bomb. 'Gets old quick! The characters are interesting and the violence is rampant, if you are into lots of that.

However, some of the plot lines are pretty accurate parallels with what has been transpiring in Montana and, in particular, around Bozeman. The evil east coast conglomerate corporation intent on removing the Dutton ranching itself, along with the environment it encompasses, so closely resembles Cross Harbor Capital who own Big Sky and the Yellowstone Club that it is really scary to someone who has been watching that evolve. Cross Harbor has bought up the historic Gallatin Gateway Inn (now a service worker facility with huge square dormitory buildings on each end), has built a for-lease-or-rent 350 unit village on Hwy 191 at Gateway, purchased the Crazy Mountain Ranch and Deadrock on the west slopes of the Crazy Mountains and up higher, and other properties, some of which likely are not known publicly.

The development associated with this massive ski resort related take-over of the Bozeman area has already created very concerning impacts regarding traffic, wildlife, West Gallatin River contamination, Gallatin & Madison range viewshed and forest preservation, housing cost and availability problems, and much much more. For me as a longtime resident, the list goes on and on. Some days it sparks a real depressing gloom as I realize the related changes and accompanying problems, so thanks for allowing this HT rant. :mad:
As mentioned earlier: Montana's, Yellowstone Era -

Within the article:
ā€œIf it wasnā€™t for a family member whoā€™s letting me live on his property, I would really have to think hard about moving out here,ā€ Kimbrell said. ā€œRent and housing is becoming extremely expensive.ā€ The support staff at his veterinary practice are being priced out of housing, he added.
Rice, the lifetime Montana resident, said her daughter and son-in-law were recently served notice that their landlord would not renew their lease in a three-bedroom home theyā€™d rented for more than a decade. It was a mad scramble even to find a two-bedroom apartment at three times the rent they were paying, she said.

ā€œMy daughter says weā€™ll never be able to afford a house,ā€ she said. ā€œWe tried to save but everythingā€™s going up and up and up.ā€

Some families, even those with full-time employment, are moving into recreational vehicles or tents. The local roads are now scattered with people in campers who can no longer afford to pay rent or own a house. Habitat for Humanity calls it a housing crisis. ā€œMontana has quickly become inaccessible to those who live and work here,ā€ said the nonprofit, which is pushing lawmakers to prioritize housing affordability.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back