Best Truck for value?

Sytes

Looking for the best "bang for the buck" Truck.

Have about 22k...

2005-Present...
Diesel or Gas...
1/2 ~ 3/4 ~ 1 Ton...

So choices?

Dodge, Chevy/GMC, Ford... Other?

Originally, I was going Diesel, 3/4 ton, Ford... (F250 Super Duty approx '06-'07 60k miles area of interest)
Reasoning: Tow power / weight ability and Ford was the "upstanding citizen" for our taxpayer bailout $$$.
Upon additional thought of how often I tow - I evaluated my initial considerations...

Now my thought is a 3/4 Ton - gas - Ford... (F250 Super Duty V10 or similar)

Ford ~ for the reason mentioned above (upstanding citizen award).
3/4 for the tow weight.
Gas fuel value for the commuter side of my life.
Gains? Vehicle price, fuel price, fairly mutual MPG, more quiet/comfortable.
Losses? Tow power, crap fuel MPG while towing, mental penile augmentation (A.K.A. Bass Ass Diesels...)

Scenario: I tow 2-3 slant horse trailer maybe 6 events a year... 4 non hunting, 2 hunting... other than that, no real tow use other than a small john boat (a VW could tow it... haha!). The routes are not "rocky mtn high" climbs either... I commute about a 7 hour route (round trip) every 3 weeks (visiting home) with normal 10 mile local commute around my work location.

Investments into vehicles such as these are the type I don't want to "wish I had thought of that" after I spend 22k.

Ya, it's not a 50k+ value truck though some have the ferrari's of trucks, others - such as myself - have the farmers pickup ability. :)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sytes...I just sold my Ford F250 V10 it was a monster work horse it pulled a 26' fifth wheel camper with a 20' boat attached to the camper with no problem. The power, durability, and reliability were outstanding. The gas mileage well when I pulled the camper and boat together I got 9 mpg, when I pulled the camper or boat alone I got 9 mpg, when I drove on the highway I got 9 mpg, and when I drove it to work the same 9 mpg. I loved my Ford but in ND every direction you look there is a Ford F150 or F250 the streets and backroads are loaded with them and I was a little nervous about resale with so many on the street. So I went a different direction. As for thougths...do you really need a 250 when the 150s will do the trick 6 times a year? By the way, I will buy a nonresident Lope tag with what I saved in gas! JMO

I have an 06 F350 Super Duty Powerstroke diesel. It is a good truck for long distance travel and towing. I can get 17 MPG on the highway. The diesel is powerful, but noisy. It does not want to start easily when cold. I generally don't try to start it without the block heater below freezing. The manual says not to try to start it below 20 deg. without the block heater. It generally takes several minutes after starting it before it runs right. The transmission needs to warm up before it starts to shift right. It's a good long trip vehicle, but the mileage suffers a lot on short trips. It's big and it's tall. I can't park it in parking garages and I don't like driving it in city traffic. Overall, I would prefer a Ram 3/4 ton with the Cummins diesel and manual transmission. I don't have any confidence in the new Powerstroke engines. If I didn't intend to take long trips or tow, I would get a gasoline engine. The diesel holds 15 quarts of oil and the fuel filter set is close to $100. You've got to put a lot of miles on to justify it.

I'll guarandarntee you that a 1/2 ton gasoline truck is the choice of road hunters everywhere over 3/4 tons and diesel rigs. Way more stealth:D

I once thought of getting a diesel but when I faced facts I wanted nothing to do with the stink or noise. As for 3/4 ton... crappy ride, IMO as compared to a 1/2 ton. You gotta have a serious and bonifide reason to get a 3/4 ton that makes it worth the much rougher ride...IMO.

I guess if I had a mongo trailer or a bunch of horses to haul around I would upsize...

As for thougths...do you really need a 250 when the 150s will do the trick 6 times a year?
Interesting you mentioned that... A friend has passed that thought my way as well and TBH, I was a bit hesitant as it pushes the threshhold for max weight... though as you mentioned - same as my friends response... threshold does not exceed... it will be swampish uphill over a diesel / etc... though it will be a great price and well used truck between those few hauls.

Deffinately worth considering further! Besides, that may get me into a crew/quad/club cab unit as well...
Wgiles - I think the 1 ton is out... I really like the cummins 3/4ton! A great motor!
Khunter - one of the prime reasons for considering a gas truck over diesel. Diesel in the woods is like a camp setup in the center of ones honeyhole! Agree. 1/2 ton may be the route.

Last edited:
Have been checking this out also. I only need a half-ton for the amount of towing I do a year, but upgrade on shocks and use equalizer hitch as used most for commuting. Heaviest is with 19ft travel trailer plus a short bed full of crap about 5 times a year including hunting in October. I stopped in this morning at the shop we have our vehicles worked on to drop off a dozen donuts to the guys in the shop (never hurts). I was asking the owner about the Toyo 4X4Tundra and his comment was, "Great truck, tough truck, but mileage sucks at 12 mpg. So for what you use a truck for I would suggest a 5.3 Chevy 4X4 rated at 19 mpg. 5.3 as he told me is basically a 327 that you can tweek with chips to get the power band where you need it. Am going to do more checking as I have a hard time parting with that kind of scratch.

In 2007 I bought a 2005 F250 King Ranch with 65000 miles on it, 6.0 Diesel. I have a 4 horse Kiefer Built with living quarters. I would not pull my old 2 horse slant with an F-150, power is safety. There are some great deals out there if you look. I gave 28K for mine, let somebody take the heat up front since it is not broke in until 100K.
Now the last time the wife and I drove up to the farm I checked my mileage at the pump, I was averaging 18.33 mpg driving around 70 when I could. Pulling my large trailer and Kubota tractor I still get 15.5 mpg, that F-150 would be lucky to get 8 pulling that trailer. On the large 4 horse I get pulled down to 12-13, but I feel safe at 70-75 mph.
I have owned 2 F-150s since 1998 and had to sell one after pulling a 23' 5th Wheel to Durango and back....it was shot! John

My '99 F-250 V10 had been great 120,000 miles so far. Big strong engine, super dependable.
One of the guys that hunts with us has the same year, same engine, but with 142,000 and change. Strong and tough.
Myself, I am still driving a 92 half ton 302 with 144,000 and that is the only reason I am looking. May or may not be living on borrowed time with it. Other than having to have another clutch put in along with a new shifter (it had enough slop in it that the throw was about two counties wide) it has served me well, but I know it's days are numbered as does my mechanic so he is keeping his eyes open for me.

We get new trucks about every 3 years at work.

The last truck was a Ford Powerjoke F250, 2006. Honestly, the best mileage we ever get is about 14 MPG, drops to 10 pulling any kind of trailer. It does have plenty of power though and the ride is good.

Off-road it sucked, the heavy front end caused the front end to hop when we got into mud or deep snow. The truck itself has a bunch of rattles. The front ends go out also because of the extra weight of the motor.

I'd rank it as a 7/10...I thought the mileage would be much better, especially empty.

Currently driving a 2009 3/4 ton dodge hemi at work...lots of power for sure. Mileage is better than the F250 diesel, at least empty...at around 16-17 mpg. Towing its about 13-14. I dont like the ride much, real rough. So far, with only 10K miles on it I'd give it a 8/10.

My last personal truck was a 2000 chevy extended cab with the 5.3l. Plenty of power to pull moderate sized things like boats, medium sized campers, etc. The ride is awesome, did pretty good in the snow, and ran forever. I sold it for $6500 with 189,000 miles on it.

Just bought a new truck this year, 1/2 ton 2010 GMC sierra extended cab with the 5.3l motor. Seems like a great truck so far and rides great. The rated MPG was 21 highway. The best I've done is 19.8, but average about 18.5 empty. I averaged 16.2 on my hunting trip to Montana...thats highway driving, 4x4 both on the hiway and in the hills, around town some. Pretty good for a full size truck. That SOB has every bell and whistle I need and then some.

Really I think it comes down to what you're going to use the truck for the most. I dont pull trailers much, and I spend a lot more time driving on the highway. For me, I want the comfortable ride VS most anything else.

I think all the major brands are fine, it just comes down to some of the options, what you're using it for, etc.

Last edited:
As a veterinarian who pulls chutes around the 250 would be my choice. I once had a 150 and it was aduquate, however, just barely (that was a long time ago).

My new 250 has the "Tow Option" which is really nice for those heavy loads. Maybe the newer F-150's also have this "Tow Option" which would be easier on the truck. My 250 gets 11 MPG.

Love the truck in everyway.... so far with 30,000 miles on it.

good luck to all
the dog

Go with a Ford. We use an F-250 for a ranch truck and we just punish it. It take the lickings with no problems. And like you said about the government bailouts...the choice is simple.

Go Ford if buying a gas 4x4

Go Chevy if buying Diesel...Allison Tranny baby!!!!!!!!!!

You mentioned you liked Ford because they did not get bailed out....chevy has payed off 75% of the loan and just because their finances flipped upside down doesnt mean the durability/workability of their trucks changed...

Will

I would go with what Buzz has now. I'm all about fuel consumption and I don't think you'll do much better than the chevy 5.3. It should have enough power for those few towing events. Your not going to pull up a hill like a diesel but you'll love the fuel economy and cheaper repair bills. They are by far the most comfortable trucks to ride in as well. Almost like a car.

I do know some guys who are using the Titans and Toyotas like you would any other half ton. They seem to be plenty happy with the power for the little pulling they do.

I have quit a few trucks and most are old but they have given me a good sample of mileage and power
2004 Duramax crew
1995 Powerstroke
1996 Dodge V10
1994 Dodge V10
1988 Chevy 2500

Sweetnectar can vouch for how well a Ford can withstand a rifle blast through the cab at point blank.

I also have a 99 F250 with the V10. While the power is great and gas mileage is crap another thing to consider is the fact that the ford V10 has a tendency to blow the spark plug out of the head. This can be repaired the 1st time for fairly minimal cost if it blows again out of the same hole the only fix is a new head for big $$$. Other than that its been a great truck.

I also have a 99 F250 with the V10. While the power is great and gas mileage is crap another thing to consider is the fact that the ford V10 has a tendency to blow the spark plug out of the head. This can be repaired the 1st time for fairly minimal cost if it blows again out of the same hole the only fix is a new head for big $$$. Other than that its been a great truck.

I had my older 250 did that with the sparkplugs. I asked about that before I bought my new truck and was told with design change and different alloys that issue has been resolved.

good luck to all
the dog

I had a F-150 once and the clutch went out twice in the first 50,000. It basicly had a undersized, passsenger car clutch and I was told that it was pretty much made from pot metal, too. I think it was a 91 or '92 model.

I've had 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500, 2005 Ford F350 Powerstroke, 2005 Toyota Tundra and I now drive a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500.

The biggest peice of crap of the bunch was the F350. It was our work truck and had less than 100k on it. I had to put the battery on charge anytime the temps dropped below 40 degrees. It did not have the plug in heater thing and according to the Ford dealership that model didn't need it. It just would not start no matter what when it was cold. One day the boss and I were heading to lunch and the turbo went out sucking all the oil in the motor out and thru the exhaust, that was about $2800 to fix.

The Tundra was a nice riding truck and I never had any problems. Gas mileage was ok. It was a fleece so I ended up getting a brain and trading it before I got in to deep.

The Chevy was ok but it was single cab and I had a growing family and needed more room. If it were just me and my daughter still I would probably still have it.

The Dodge is my current truck. I ended up buying it used in 2008. It is a quad cab Big Horn edition 4x4. Has the hemi and all that. So far it's been my favorite truck. I like the way it drives, looks, maintenance is a breeze and I haven't had any major issues. It had 17k miles on it when I bought it and I only paid $17k for it. Best bang for the buck that I have had yet. According to the computer on it I average 17.1 miles per gallon.

In addition to my F350, I still have a 95 F150 Supercab 5.8L V8 Auto and trailer towing package. I use it for most of my local and nearby travel. The mileage isn't great, but it's paid for. It's quiet, it starts quickly and runs well. Out here in the flatlands, it will pull a trailer fairly well. As soon as you get on any kind of grade, it will want to downshift. I can pull a small utility trailer, my 16' flatbed or a popup camper, but not a big box trailer. That's what the F350 is for. The F350 is a crew cab with a short bed and topper. It sits so high off the ground that it is a real pain to get anything in or out of the bed. If I don't need the back seat for passengers, that's where most of the cargo goes.

The Cummins is a lot quieter than the Powerstroke. A friend of mine has a Ram 250 that he drives all over the country and pulls a race car trailer. He loves it.

If you were buying new I'd say a 1/2 ton Ford with the 6.2. It's light (relatively speaking) and has all the power. That said, my brother in law sold his V10 and regrets it. A good truck with ok gas milage. I'm driving a Tacoma and it's an amazing hunting rig, but too underpowered so it's going this summer for a 6.2. I'm no expert, but I think you'll have more maintenance with that diesel no matter what you decide. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back