Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Half Ton Truck C vs E Ply Tires

We haul a lot of hay and heavy trailers so I always opt for E range tires. Just feels so much easier towing for my old Ford 1/2 ton.

Hey folks,
Selling my 2001 Dodge Diesel with 360K and getting a newer (used) F150. I tow a max of 6000 pounds or so, but only use the truck for pulling pack llamas and hunting. I have an around town car. I've always run E ply tires on my work trucks including half tons (land management), but wondering if other folks do as well?

We moved last year from Nevada to Central Idaho, and Nevada was a serious tire killer. Just wondering if other folks in the West use E ply on half ton trucks.

View attachment 252555
10 ply will serve you well. There's a bunch of unfriendly roads in Idaho, you just haven't been on them yet. Drive over to Yellow Pine and head any direction but South and you'll see what I mean. You might want to wait until July this year. Happy hunting!

I have an extra set of rims with 10 ply E tires on them and a different offset so chains fit on better. They always go on when going out west.

Over the years I have had many out of state hunters arrive with a new 4x4 truck and stock tires, not good. The last one had two flats in 5 miles and both were from sidewall punctures. No smooth sand here, it is all rocky and can be steep once you get off the pavement.
I have run 10 ply BFG KO2's on all my ranch/hunting rigs for years without a sidewall problem which are most common.

ps.....my tires are siped for better traction on ice, in snow/wet conditions and braking. A great advantage on icy mountain "roads".

Over the years I have had many out of state hunters arrive with a new 4x4 truck and stock tires, not good. The last one had two flats in 5 miles and both were from sidewall punctures. No smooth sand here, it is all rocky and can be steep once you get off the pavement.
I have run 10 ply BFG KO2's on all my ranch/hunting rigs for years without a sidewall problem which are most common.

ps.....my tires are siped for better traction on ice, in snow/wet conditions and braking. A great advantage on icy mountain "roads".
You would think I would know better. All of our equipment trailers, dumps, lowboy are heavy ply. Couple of years ago, wife & I bought a new UTV, mainly for hunting. Took it out on the trails here in WI once fall of 2021, loaded up & head to CO. Did what we wanted, no offroad but were able to travel rutted roads. We ended up with a torn sidewall but had enough patches & a portable compresser. No spare so parked it. The stock tires were 2 ply. Found a twig went through the sidewall. Replaced with 8 ply.
Guess it doesn't matter what your driving.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back