Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ecodiesel experiences

bisblue

Hey folks,
Probably going to get a newer truck in the next year or so. My current Cummins has 356k and I only worry when my wife takes it with our two little kids for an 8-hour road trip hauling a trailer. I have all my tools and can generally deal with anything that comes up, but she had her first small problem and even though we fixed it I'm wondering if it's time to get something newer.

I'm curious who has the EcoDiesel and likes it. I tow quite a bit but it's a 11-ft stock trailer with pack llamas in it so nothing too crazy. I have a Volkswagen station wagon with a turbo diesel that I use for all my around town driving and day hunting from trailheads with good access.

I need a small four door truck and an actual six and a half foot bed to put my stock rack in. Assuming I'll need to throw some airbags in the Ecodiesel with llamas in the bed. I'd like to get a half ton just for cheaper parts and better/more nimble ride on some of our central Idaho rough roads.

I'd also love the better mileage especially towing, everything towing out here is 75 miles an hour if I'm going on any trips away from hunting in the backyard, and I love diesels. I drive like a grandma normally..

I don't care about trim level as long as it has ac, cruise control etc...

20220131_174123.jpg

Last edited:
I can't speak to the Ecodiesel, but I have a new Ram 1500 and it rides really nice on rough roads. Better than my last truck (Chevy Colorado). I have a 4 wheel camper in the back and airbags and it has been smooth and solid. My Chevy was a diesel and just before I sold it at 60k miles I had to put $3k into it for DEF system issues. Pretty sure the dealership screwed me a bit but that is what they're there for.

My neighbor had one. It was in the shop quite a bit. I can ask his opinion, but he only had it for 10 months or so. Has a new Duramax now. Gm has a half ton diesel. Not sure how they are holding up. mtmuley

In 2019 I bought a new non currant 2017 from the dealer with 750k (466 miles) on it. The engine went at 40,000 k, it was covered under warranty. There's a lot of info out there on these trucks with engine problems. I now have 178000 on the truck and no problems since. The fuel mileage is also fair depending what your hauling.

Ever since FCA came into existence the quality of Chrysler made vehicles has been shaky at best.
Some of them are great, others fall apart.

Before I bought my 2014 Ram 1500 I spent several weeks researching how well different years, models, trims and engines hold up.
I sure wouldn't buy a new Ram unless it is a exact design that has been around long enough for someone else to figure out the problems

Had a friend who has the first generation, it was towed to the shop quite a few times and he ditched it before it had 20k miles. He's a die hard dodge guy and he even said he wouldn't buy another one.

I heard lots of promising things about the Chevy 3.0 diesel when it first came out being a straight 6 design. That YouTube channel "lakeforkguy" bought one brand new and he had a lot of problems with it, he ended up trading it on for a gasser.

Both of these could be flukes but still makes me hesitant about these 1/2 ton diesels.

Have you considered sticking with the Cummins and going with a Nissan. Seems like Dodge really screwed up trying to use some oddball diesel in the 1/2 ton when they have all those loyal Cummins guys who would have gladly bought a little 1/2 ton with a cummins.

Ever since FCA came into existence the quality of Chrysler made vehicles has been shaky at best.
Some of them are great, others fall apart.

Before I bought my 2014 Ram 1500 I spent several weeks researching how well different years, models, trims and engines hold up.
I sure wouldn't buy a new Ram unless it is a exact design that has been around long enough for someone else to figure out the problems
Yeah, and yet a new owner in Stellantis. Its never good when these companies get bought out because the first thing companies want to do is start cutting costs.

I believe some of the eco-diesels come from the factory with airbags fwiw
Unless they've changed the design, I'd avoid the factory air suspension for OP in Idaho. My folks had one and the air compressor is located behind the rear tire; in the winter, snow /ice build up there and freeze the compressor and you have no suspension.

Unless they've changed the design, I'd avoid the factory air suspension for OP in Idaho. My folks had one and the air compressor is located behind the rear tire; in the winter, snow /ice build up there and freeze the compressor and you have no suspension.
Never thought about that before, good insight 👍

I have an 2014 Ram 1500 with Ecodiesel. I have about 130k miles. Only been in the shop to repair a coolant hose leak on the turbo. I have the factory air suspension and I wont have another truck without it. I, however, don't live where there is a ton of snow and ice to I haven't had issues with freeze up. I don't have any complaints about it at this point except diesel is expensive.

My son had the eco diesel in his 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Loved the fuel mileage and the ride, but at about 110,000 miles the oil pump went out and took the engine with it. I know a co worker that has a 1/2 ton Ram and it had about 100,000 miles on it without any problems. Looking online it seems like a crapshoot if you get a good one or not.

the old shop i used to work for tried a couple of the 1/2-ton dodge eco diesels in 2014 or 2015 and they were complete junk. They barely ever towed anything and when they did it was 12' or 16' job trailers. They were in the shop all the time ended up trading both of them in with less 40k miles for 1-ton cummins.

I bought a 2015 Ram eco new. Had it for 5 years and 125k miles. I had good luck with the engine ect until about 100k then started having issues. But with the lawsuit they extended the warranty so most was covered, but then started having electrical problems and moved on. Pretty sure the newer ones have fixed these issues.

Overall I liked the truck. However, once you put any weight or resistance the mileage drops quickly. For example going from 4ply stock tires to 10ply dropped a couple gallons per mile. Towing wasn't great in my opinion. I have a gas Nissan Titan XD and prefer it much more for towing. However, I only tow a camper and could get by with the eco as most of my driving is commuting, so I did like that I could have a truck with pretty good mileage.

If most of your driving is towing, I don't think I would recommend it if the newer version is similar to the 2015. I don't think you would be happy with the towing compared to a 3/4 cummins. It's a 1/2 ton truck, it's nowhere near a 3/4 diesel. To be honest, I like my wife's Tundra better for towing. Maybe your setup isn't as heavy as my camper, I think its like 4-6000 lbs. Towing my raft trailer or something similar was just fine.

My father in law had one. A fire started under the hood while he was driving on the interstate. Apparently Chrysler had issued a recall for the EGR due to it causing engine fires. Chrysler bought the pickup from him and while he replaced the burned pickup with another Ram, he chose a gas engine the second time around.

Have you considered sticking with the Cummins and going with a Nissan. Seems like Dodge really screwed up trying to use some oddball diesel in the 1/2 ton when they have all those loyal Cummins guys who would have gladly bought a little 1/2 ton with a cummins.
I did, the diesel Nissan got some really bad reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back