Best Truck for value?

A positive for buying a diesel is the alternative fuel tax credit. If I remember right it"s $1500. I hope they still have it.

I'm going with the Chevy /GMC 2500HD gas crew cab short box. Thanks to everyone for your info. Extremely helpful info all around!

Thought I would pass on the truck I purchased.

My goal was no more then 22k. This partially hindered my truck initially sought - for the quality I wanted. Not looking for a base, bare bone model...

I purchased a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad SLT 5.7 Hemi 4wd. It had low miles and tow rated to 8500.
The mpg is not as great as I would like though not bad... I averaged 17 mpg hwy and 14 in city.
A pretty darn comfortable ride and the V8 5.7 Hemi has the huevos when desired 345hp.
Rear seat is good - a tad bit smaller then the others of '07... I believe the truck bed is 6'4". More then enough for my needs.
Thus far - I am pretty satisfied with the deal. Does everything I need and has the comfort I sought.
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/ram-pickup-1500/2007/consumer-reviews/2/

Sytes- Congrats on the truck. I bought an 06 Dodge 2500 Mega cab SLT with the 5.7 Hemi. I love it. I average about 15 on the hwy. and 12 in town. Towing I average about 12 on the hwy towing a 25' flatbed with a small kabota front end loader. Up hills I lag quite a bit but is expected with gas. I mulled over a diesel or gas for about 3 months before I made up my mind. I decided since I don't tow a whole lot (about once every 2 months or so) I didn't have the need for a diesel. Not to mention that with the mega cab once I lay down the seats in the back I can fit a twin size air mattress in it. Was great to hunt with. I paid $23k for it with 43 thousand on it. I have since put close to 15 thousand on it and no problems.(i bought it this past Oct. and have now since slowed down). IMO the Hemi was the way to go for gas out of all 3.

Last edited:
Dodge 3/4 ton with 5.9 Cummins will get better mielage than any of the other diesels out there. I have an 07 that gets an avg of 18 mpg. Not to mention the reliability is second to none for diesels. Do a little research and you will find out the Ford 6.0 diesel has lots of problems. Here is a quote from Diesel power magazine.

The 6.0L Ford Power Stroke engine suffers from one of the worst reputations in the diesel industry--a reputation that quite frankly we don't think it deserves, and one we're looking to improve. One of the most common questions we're asked about the 6.0L is: why didn't Ford just stick with the 7.3L Power Stroke? In hindsight Ford may wish it had, but there are many reasons why the 6.0L Power Stroke came to be.

if your pulling big loads,theres nothin like a dodge cummins,if your goin lite i like my toyota tacoma,thats why i have both,whatever you do do not get a 6.0 ford powerjoke as they are absolutly junk and will cost you a fortune to keep runnin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back