Large automobiles and trucks are still not impressive on MPG.

To think mileage is unlimited with better efficiency is wrong. Of course efficiency will produce better performance than not, but simple physics can’t be ignored.

A certain amount of mass the size of a vehicle will take a certain amount of energy to move it, and to think you can get unlimited mileage by improving the shape and power plant is limited in regards to internal combustion engines…
My dad had a 1959 white caddy convertible ,the beauty with the big fins and bullet tail lights......iirc,a 390 cu.in. and it also ran over 20 mpg. but back then, gas was cheap, probably cheaper than water is in FLORIDA. Gas price was never an issue.

The reasons for low fuel mileage have more to due with government regulations than technology.
This.

I didn’t read all of the responses, so maybe this has been pointed out.

Manufacturers are squeezing every .001/gallon out of the engines they are producing. Often at the expense of longevity (think variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation, low tension piston rings, stop-start technology, etc).

The emissions produced (specifically NoX) from a super lean burning combustion engine would deplete our ozone layer in a hurry. 90’s 3800 Buick’s getting “30”mpg were not meeting the mark that we need for sustainability of our planet.

You can absolutely get 30+mpg out of a Powerstroke with enough money and disdain for our environment. Nearly everything in this world is based on balance and there are always trade offs. We are quickly reaching the limits of what is possible with an internal combustion engine. Of the technologies in place today, I like hybrid. Best bang for your (and the planet’s) buck, currently. I like the prospect of hydrogen too, but the infrastructure needed for that is equal to, or greater than electric. I won’t go down the rabbit hole of power grids and the true carbon footprint of EVs, or battery “recycling”.

The answer to your problems. Start a petition to have subaru built a small truck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230311_132810_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230311_132810_Samsung Internet.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 5
Could be wrong, but I’ve never heard of a fully loaded semi getting 7-10

I'm not a semi guy, but was working on a WalMart Distribution center and they had all kinds of stats posted on a board on the wall which included those mileage figures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back