Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best all-around rifle for hunting in Montana?

The bedspread really ties the composition together.

I thought so too Ben :) And in response to the 30-06 comment, my answer is below. The Dude abides.

And speaking of dudes, you guys are the best. I do really respect your opinions even if we don't always agree or come to the same conclusion. Thanks for letting me pop into the community with all my bright-eyed, quirky, occasionally over-enthusiastic, learning-to-hunt type stuff.

The scope is a 3-12x42, this model: http://bit.ly/1f4Fvxy. I'm a photographer so learning the different lingo around scopes/binos/spotting has been interesting. This is what the guys in my office & at Vortex rec'd for hunting in my area, I trust 'em.

Can't wait to get out and shoot this gun--Will let you guys know what I think fo' sho.

Attachments

• opinion.jpg
    opinion.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 623
I'm thinking you would be better off with an '06 so I'll take your setup off your hands, specially the scope for $500 or so. ;).

Attachments

• images2.jpg
    images2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 624
I will throw into the hat for an excellent low recoil all around rifle the 6.5. Creedmore, 260 or the swede. Low recoil and a 120 GMX will devaste deer, antelope and elk

What about the browning micro Midas? As for lightweight I'm pretty happy with my Forbes. And I can't stress enough a good quality trigger

Update please. Have you had a chance to shoot the new rifle? What were your results? How was recoil for someone of your size? Have you considered what loads you will use? Can't just buy a new rifle and then not let everyone know how it is working out. Hit the range, report back.

Update please. Have you had a chance to shoot the new rifle? What were your results? How was recoil for someone of your size? Have you considered what loads you will use? Can't just buy a new rifle and then not let everyone know how it is working out. Hit the range, report back.

Ditto that!

Hoping to get out this wkend! I'm new to shooting so I just don't feel comfortable shooting it by myself yet. Which means I have to wait on my more seasoned friends to come along with me.

Will most definitely report back. I bought 40 rounds for it the other day so believe me--I'm itching to get out there :)

Save the brass so that you will have it if you want to reload later. Shooting and reloading can take on a life of it's own if you are not careful. If you don't believe me, just look up the older Forum threads of some of the rooms that "the addicted" have dedicated to just reloading equipment. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Went out and finally shot my Weatherby .308 early this am at the range with my friend Janis--who is an awesome teacher/coach. Definitely feel confident enough after my third time shooting to start going on my own, so all good stuff.

Janis helped me sight it in, and then I shot three groups. We met at 6am to go out to the range before work so didn't have a ton of time, but each group was 2 inches or less! Not bad for the first time out with the gun & my third time shooting. The best part was that the first two shots in each group were less than an inch from each other and on point.

The first group I shot is in yellow, the second group that I shot is in pink on the orange target, and the third group is on the RMEF target. Before the third group I adjusted the windage four clicks to the left and hit the bullseye on the first shot out!

I think what's going on with the third shot is that I'm getting a little tense from the recoil, but we shall see. The recoil isn't bad by the way guys, just still something that I'm getting used to. I was shooting 150 grain bullets (Did I say that right? Forgive me if any of this slang is wrong, still learning the language, feel free to correct me below.) And yes, I'm saving the brass. At this point, I feel like I'm a bit far out from reloading though :)

Not a shabby way to watch the sunrise either, a red Cali smokey sun rising over Logan, MT.

Excited to practice more and at different distances, our range goes out to 400 yds so lots of learning to do!

Attachments

• twogroups.jpg
    twogroups.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 497
  • group3.jpg
    group3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 493
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 489
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 498
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 489
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 11.51.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 11.51.03 AM.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Went out and finally shot my Weatherby .308 early this am at the range with my friend Janis--who is an awesome teacher/coach. Definitely feel confident enough after my third time shooting to start going on my own, so all good stuff.

Janis helped me sight it in, and then I shot three groups. We met at 6am to go out to the range before work so didn't have a ton of time, but each group was 2 inches or less! Not bad for the first time out with the gun & my third time shooting. The best part was that the first two shots in each group were less than an inch from each other and on point.

The first group I shot is in yellow, the second group that I shot is in pink on the orange target, and the third group is on the RMEF target. Before the third group I adjusted the windage four clicks to the left and hit the bullseye on the first shot out!

I think what's going on with the third shot is that I'm getting a little tense from the recoil, but we shall see. The recoil isn't bad by the way guys, just still something that I'm getting used to. I was shooting 150 grain bullets (Did I say that right? Forgive me if any of this slang is wrong, still learning the language, feel free to correct me below.) And yes, I'm saving the brass. At this point, I feel like I'm a bit far out from reloading though :)

Not a shabby way to watch the sunrise either, a red Cali smokey sun rising over Logan, MT.

Excited to practice more and at different distances, our range goes out to 400 yds so lots of learning to do!

Well done! That'll hunt just fine and your groups will likely get better with practice.

One suggestion, is have some one look at adjusting your trigger to about as light/safe as you prefer. A crisp, light trigger is very condusive to shooting well. Folks with a bit less hand strength find this even more so.

Depending on how quickly you were shooting your groups the third shot may be because the barrel is heating up. Some guns are worse than others and some of the more knowledgable guys can better explain. Maybe try giving the gun a chance to cool after the second shot and see if the group tightens up. That aside, great job, those groups are good enough for most applications under 300 yards. Keep us posted. Also I can't remember do you have any hunts planned for this fall?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back