Best all-around rifle for hunting in Montana?

Very nice. Hopefully you'll get a few critters with it this year.

My BIL has the same scope on his .30/06, seems pretty nice. It did bite him on the eyebrow while we were shooting, but I think that was more user-error than a lack of eye relief.

Wby has really upgraded their Vangaurd stocks over the old synthetics. Those groups will work.

..fun ain't it?

Now that you have the shooting bug, you will want to buy a 22lr rifle so you can practice your breathing, trigger pull and other skills needed to become a better rifle shot. This way you can fire ammo that won't break the bank. This second rifle purchase will also get you on the slippery slope of buying way more guns and shooting equipment than is necessary. Oh the joys of becoming a shooting sports addict.

Thanks guys! I'll look into the trigger, it feels pretty good for right now but I'll pay attention to it more and think about that.

A .22 is definitely something I'd like to get next. The bug is real. I've gotten stuff from both sides on whether its worth it to get a .22 or not bc of the ammo situation, but word on the street is supply is starting to catch up with demand?

I am planning on hunting mule deer, turkey, &/or cow elk this fall. Actually getting anything? Well, I feel like I'd be lucky to get anything my first fall out. My coworkers drew tags in the northern Bridgers but I didnt draw. I have a few options for OTC hunts with friends as well, so we'll just see. Yay for being a MT resident. That in itself is a lucky draw I think, but then again we shall see.

Depending on how quickly you were shooting your groups the third shot may be because the barrel is heating up. Some guns are worse than others and some of the more knowledgable guys can better explain. Maybe try giving the gun a chance to cool after the second shot and see if the group tightens up. That aside, great job, those groups are good enough for most applications under 300 yards. Keep us posted. Also I can't remember do you have any hunts planned for this fall?
I agree with that, the first shot on a cold barrel is the most important one.
NKQ, as you have saved your brass this is the cheapest way to reload and is accurate!
http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-308-win.html
Cheers
Richard

Nicole, if you feel yourself getting anxious during a round of shooting, remove your shell and take a couple practice dry fires with an empty chamber. It won't hurt your gun and will calm your mind and allow your body to not anticipate pain every time you pull the trigger. I do it often. Even better if you are shooting with someone else, allow them to load the gun and hand it to you, alternating between loaded and unloaded with only them knowing. It's a great training tool.

Get the .22. Get a .22 pistol too. Both are required for residency in MT. :)

Ammo is catching up. When you find it, buy it.

As for the shooting, nice job. Keep practicing and try some different brands of ammo to see if one shoots better in your rifle than others. the 150 grain bullet is a great choice for .308. You can look at 165's as well.

I agree with the recommendation to get a .22 lr. .223 is also nice for practicing at more realistic hunting ranges.

You did fine!
Going to the range early in am is best in most places,windwise and people wise.
Going with someone you know makes you feel comfortable starting out,familiar.
After each shot eject the shell and leave it open while you glass or even walk out to check.
Barrel will have plenty of time to cool between rounds for more accurate shooting,IMHO.
You stay looser too.

Nice shooting. Don't be worried about stretching the yardage. There is nothing better for confidence at short range than accuracy at longer range. mtmuley

Lot of good advice. I need to sight my rifle in within the next 3 weeks. I usually am guilty of not letting the barrel cool between shots. Does cause a flyaway on the 3rd shot. Will try to be patient this year.

ps. Good advice when learning to shoot is so beneficial to avoid picking up bad habits. You look like you are on the right course.

Last edited:
dont know your game laws there but ive seen varmit hunters using suppressors

suppressors are worth their weight in gold,,mainly for your hearing but certainly tames down a rifle

If you get a .22 you can practice shooting at the greenhorn I mean the greenway at the fairgrounds on Thursday evenings. It is a little loud though with pistol shooters. I think the groups are fine, but you can also get a slip-on pad at the sportsman for $30.

Rob--you always have the best Bozeman tips. Maybe Greenhorn will actually come out and shoot with me, and then we can bffs for ever :) (This is a serious invite GH!)

The slip-on pad is a good idea! I also need to get a pad for my cheek rest (?) Even with Weatherby's Monte Carlo stock it's a little too low for me. My rifle is going to be SO cushy. I wonder if I can DIY my own slip-on pad in a cute forest animal pattern. No pink allowed though.

Taking notes on all this great advice. You guys rule.

Lots of good advise. I agree with Gerald on the dry firing, this is a shooters best friend when it comes to keeping the flinch at bay.

Personally, I have more of an issue on the range with the blast and over pressure, than the recoil. It may not bother you, but doubling up on your hearing protection (plugs+earmuffs) can help.

Also, if you add a pad on the cheek piece, make sure it doesn't hang up on your bolt throw. It looks pretty tight, but the best thing you could do to address this is get low rings, and remount he scope.

Nicole, if you feel yourself getting anxious during a round of shooting, remove your shell and take a couple practice dry fires with an empty chamber. It won't hurt your gun and will calm your mind and allow your body to not anticipate pain every time you pull the trigger. I do it often. Even better if you are shooting with someone else, allow them to load the gun and hand it to you, alternating between loaded and unloaded with only them knowing. It's a great training tool.

You can even set up a target at home and practice dry firing at. It makes a big difference. You can also practice different positions.

Looks like you are getting a fine start. Good advise abounds on this thread. I would encourage you to find a scoped .22 that you could borrow for a weekend, and run at least 500 shells thru it from various field positions.( Should only cost about 35 bucks for bulk ammo now) You just need a certain amount of acquiring sight picture, and squeezing that trigger to become confident in the field. Shoot at gongs, cans rocks etc, not for groups during this session. You are on your way!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back