Best all-around rifle for hunting in Montana?

I'll agree with many above. I'd find the rifle make/model that fits you well first and then worry about the cartridge. Like Randy11 said, anything 243 Win and up will work.

A gunwriter from MT has a wife that hunts and also is a gun writer. He has stated multiple times that the makes/models that fit the two of them are very different. Similar to the cheekpiece comment made previously. The Weatherby stocks with their Monte Carlo style stocks fit her well. Another I would strongly suggest you look at is the Savage Lady Hunter. In other makes/models, at your size, you might find that the youth/compact models fit you better. Howa makes one that comes with both a youth and a full size stock. Ruger American's compact has a shorter stock and barrel, but it wouldn't be that hard or expensive to buy a standard model and buy and extra compact stock to put on it.

Might be worth the time to do a search on here for threads pertaining to youth/kids rifles. Many of the same fit issues folks have with kids will also happen with women.

Since you are smaller, the 7-08 would be a good choice, as would a 257 Roberts. my wife is about your size, and she loves the .257. it has light recoil, has a fair number of bullet choices as well. Being in Bozeman, I would definitely take Randy up on his offer to try out the Howa. You could also check out Powderhorn sports downtown. I haven't been there in a few years, but they used to have a good selection of rifles available. good luck on your search!

me personally, I like to shoot a caliber that doesn't make me feel it the rest of the hunting trip. I'm a big .270 fan or if they offer it a .280 is a really good caliber.

.270 for me as well. I'm left handed and it can be tough to find rifles. Recently found a tikka t3 in .270 that I will be picking up.

I would seriously look at the .260. It has a wide range of bullets selection, shoots flat as any of them and plenty of punch.

Whoa! Randy (aka Big Fin) I'll definitely take you up on that offer!

And friends--thanks so much for all the fantastic advice. Looking forward to putting it to work. I'll keep you all updated on the process. I'm so new that I still have no idea what feels right, should be a fun process figuring it out!

I vote .270 as best all around. With today's bullets it'll cleanly take elk. Really great for pronghorn and deer as well. Shoots a little flatter than the .30-06 and with less recoil it's a bit easier to hit with!

I'm a 7mm fan, so 7-08 over .308, .280 over 06' or .270.

I understand if you want to avoid excessive recoil, but in the big country out west, 7mm Mag and the 300WM are what I would consider the two essential cartridges and both have a good array of bullet offerings.

PS I have always felt the 30-06 is the most overrated cartridge in modern times. I get it if you want to be able to buy ammo in a 2 horse town liquor store, but otherwise it has nothing over a 7mmMag or .280.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I ended up with a Weatherby Vanguard 2 .308 with a Vortex Diamondback 12x42 scope to finish it off.

Hope to get some shooting time in this wkend with some friends. I am VERY excited to get to know this gun.

This pic goes out to you guys for helping out, featuring my old man cat Burt Reynolds and his rampant curiosity, on a floral Ikea bedspread. #yourewelcome

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 832
Very nice. You should be able to tackle anything Montana can throw at you with that beast. The gun looks good too. Not too sure about the bed spread though. :)

Sweet ! Nice choice. Now, if you want to start a whole new argument, just ask which bullet to use.

Your all ready to go with a great setup. Now get out there and get shooting!

(Shhhhh, don't tell anybody, but I just bought a 308 a couple days ago too)

A'Humm.....the 7mm/08 is still the KING round, shame on you !! ........... ;)

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I ended up with a Weatherby Vanguard 2 .308 with a Vortex Diamondback 12x42 scope to finish it off.

Hope to get some shooting time in this wkend with some friends. I am VERY excited to get to know this gun.

This pic goes out to you guys for helping out, featuring my old man cat Burt Reynolds and his rampant curiosity, on a floral Ikea bedspread. #yourewelcome

Great choice! Now, just stoke it with 165 Partitions and go kill stuff.

I saw your post yesterday about going shooting. I was wondering what you decided. Looks like a nice rifle. Have fun!

Very nice. You should be able to tackle anything Montana can throw at you with that beast. The gun looks good too. Not too sure about the bed spread though. :)

The bedspread really ties the composition together.

Nice pick. No critter in MT or the west that can't be taken cleanly with a .308. All that's lef is to practice!

Hope that is a 4-12 x 40 or the challenge will be to find an animal far enough away to fit in the field of view ;).

I'm liking that gun but it doesn't seem to have a youth model :(

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back