MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Mirrors my thoughts.

I've still got the Buffet shareholder letters published in a 2 volume set. Read them all, there's a lot to learn there and I believe they may still be available by just making a phone call to Berkshire.

Mirrors my thoughts.

Dude, stocks only go up! Look at everything going on currently in the US, it is a freaking crazy house with the patients running the asylum. The market totally ignores any bad news and rallies like crazy in the slightest hint of something positive. Short of a meteor impacting the earth or the fed turning off the money printer, I’d say skies the limit. Don’t worry about the disconnect between Well Street and Main Street. As long as the money printer go Brrrrrrrrrrr, Stonks go up.

Just in case you don’t pick it up this post is half sarcasm , half reality.

Dude, stocks only go up! Look at everything going on currently in the US, it is a freaking crazy house with the patients running the asylum. The market totally ignores any bad news and rallies like crazy in the slightest hint of something positive. Short of a meteor impacting the earth or the fed turning off the money printer, I’d say skies the limit. Don’t worry about the disconnect between Well Street and Main Street. As long as the money printer go Brrrrrrrrrrr, Stonks go up.

Just in case you don’t pick it up this post is half sarcasm , half reality.
Reality has a way of biting people in the ass at the worst possible time. Not a matter of if but when.

I see the upcoming September being ripe for a crash. Mortgages are foreclosed on, renters can’t pay back past due rent, kids are likely not going to be in school at 100%, Colleges will be struggling due to lack of new students, expendable printed money is now not expendable as parents try and balance daycare/school/ work conflicts. Did I mention Unemployment Benefits for those who filed in April are running out.

On top of all of that September is usually the low month for stocks anyway. My money is holed up waiting to see what the fall out is.

I think the current situation with the market stays until the election. The fed pumping in tons of money has put the market where it is, but that can't keep going forever. I see a severe correction but not for a while

Last election, I went heavy (hobby lvl heavy) w/ Gold ETFs... that kicked me in the nuts... i drank the gold kool-aid articles. I might do the same.
Nutcracker part deuce?

On a personal note, I’ve finally surpassed my late February high. Based on some of the folks I’ve talked to, I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t get there sooner. Should have been more tech heavy I guess.

Trying to focus on the fact that I got back to the high a bit sooner than the S&P (my personal benchmark). And while I didn’t buy much of the dip, I did shuffle the portfolio near the bottom (if that was the bottom . . .) and harvested some tax losses.

Now if I only knew what to do now . . . :unsure:

JPM thoughts for earnings?
Look at the loan loss provision. It is a good indication of a bank's view of the general economy and they have a direct view of it through loan payments. Q1 was $8.3B and estimate for Q2 is $8.1. JPM tends to be conservative (provision more than necessary), but if that number is higher, every bank is going to sell off. Given the increasing mortgage forbearance and non-payment of rent talked about earlier, I think the estimate is low, but just a guess. Whether I'm right or wrong, your question is probably where does the stock go. No clue. My dog's guess is as good as mine. That said, JPM under $90 is a buy.

That said, JPM under $90 is a buy.
Agree.

Meat and potato(e) though... let's not derail the objective. (Humor) What side of the Oreo does JPM land considering the market is not reflective of the real world. This is the known, Big bankers quarterly session for earnings. I have a feeling, if anything hits a bit more realistically for market relative to actual - this series of bank earnings reports will expose the weakness or the ideal steps out of this quagmire.

So for today's game plan going into JPM earnings BMO tomorrow, this was my little lunch $ run.

Screenshot_20200713-135018.png

Hopefully I can hop ship w/ >$150 loss if JPM declares set for a great outlook, otherwise, I believe it will drop a bit... and I'll make a bit more tomorrow after their announcement / conference.

Not all eggs in one basket. I've been holding one for a bit. I'm not a fan of sticking my neck out w/ options through an earnings release, thus, short and see where the chips drop.

Thus, my cloudy bowling ball and Oreo coin flip sayeth...

Last edited:
Agree.

Meat and potato(e) though... let's not derail the objective. (Humor) What side of the Oreo does JPM land considering the market is not reflective of the real world. This is the known, Big bankers quarterly session for earnings. I have a feeling, if anything hits a bit more realistically for market relative to actual - this series of bank earnings reports will expose the weakness or the ideal steps out of this quagmire.
Lower.

TSLA had an intraday reversal. Let's see how many people head for the exits.

Tomorrow will set the tone for the market, IMHO. "H" for Hobby, not for the professional based, Humble opinion.

They're going to discuss the 3-5 year outlook. Set the tempo for expectations, etc. While one of my interests is trying to swipe a bit of cream off the top for intra and swing trading, I believe the big banks will garner a large focus directly related to our markets and possibly shed light on the unusual correlation with our economy.
The Super Regional banking may play an equal forecast to the global banking...

If JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, and Citigroup (ALL pre market earning release Tuesday) bring a reserved tone with an outlook bordering a minor level of uncertainty, I believe the market will have a sell off and pop some supports. People collecting their profits since getting in low. Bigger fish will assist this by pushing the coaster to roll a bit faster. Encourage smaller fish to feed and the more feeding, the more small mouth bass like action will take place. This may go a day, two... the week? Until the big fish decide it's time to buy in again. They control the market's tone (again IMHO).

If, on the upside, flip the above for a renewed rally may break through current resistance...

If I could give myself a thumbs up (pat on the back) for the sage wisdom I've bestowed upon my fellow market interested HT members - I'd give myself my oreo's filling... :D (See @neffa3 , I dig your Oreo reference. It's my new bling talk. haha!

I still trying to wrap my head around the seriousness of the economy and these prices. For example, I heard today, for the 2nd straight month, about 33% didn't fully pay mortgage or rent last month. At some point something has to give. The S&P at all time high when many people thought it was over bought 12 months ago when the economy was at full speed.
Another website tracking renter payments. Not as bad as the CNBC cited data- so why I am always skeptical. Data is all over the place in the RE market, earn - commercial, residential and multifamily.

https://www.nmhc.org/research-insight/nmhc-rent-payment-tracker/

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 3.05.28 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back