American Prairie Reserve Purchases 14,000 Acre Ranch

Don't be too hasty. It is good to air things out by learning of various perspectives and considerations of the issue ... however based on factual, accurate information.
As harsh and direct as the expressions of Buzz may seem, you certainly have to admire anyone "who suffers no fools".
(One quickly learns to offer only factual information and logical opinions when discussing a topic with the learned Montanan from Laramie.)
Completely agree that various perspectives and consideration for the issues is a great thing. I have learned a ton from these threads. However, I find very little admirable about hurling personal insults and name calling. It’s pretty easy to “suffer no fools” on an internet forum.

At the end of the day Buzz you have no clue what APR is going to look like in 20 or even 50 years.
They continue to add land to & for the public, why would it ever lean toward UPOMs agenda if it kept pace.? I see generational appreciation…

You’ve always give me a hard time when I raise questions about y’all not believing there’s still BnC PnY animals in every mountain range if you look hard enough……….

Yes Buzz gets heated defending the AP(R), but there has been exactly zero evidence to suggest it's anything but the best thing to happen to sportsmen in that part of the country. Why must someone always be defending it? Hasn't it proven itself yet?

I'll continue to donate no matter what Gila says.

I don't disagree with you ... however, this rather contentious discussion was not about perspectives concerning "where it will end up".

Consider post #99: "Go back to the Aug 2019 discussion in this same thread where Gila falsely states that APR does not allow elk hunting. Recently I just thought his "suspicious questions" to APR and his apparent disinformation was just innocently naïve and uninformed, but now it's clear he is trying to cast aspersions and continue to express completely false information."

Falsehoods regarding current factual information about AP ... not opinions or predictions. One perspective was describing factual current information based on documentation and actual experience on the ground; the "opposing" perspective was asserting disinformation and speculation derived from the false information, likely gleaned from the movement sponsored by UPOM and others in that area of Montana, somehow foolishly thinking a disinformation conspiracy to "Save the cowboy" will cause the AP to fold.

'Big difference from your point.
I agree with you, but bro…..
Are you the reason they put fact check in Facebook…..? You working for the Metaverse!? 🥸

They continue to add land to & for the public, why would it ever lean toward UPOMs agenda if it kept pace.? I see generational appreciation…

You’ve always give me a hard time when I raise questions about y’all not believing there’s still BnC PnY animals in every mountain range if you look hard enough……….
I have near 100% confidence that AP will not look like UPOM's members management in the future. Not nearly as confident that AP management will not shift closer to that of a National Park.

P&Y is not that high of a bar, As for B&C, I suspect the number of legit B&C mule deer on public land in OTC Montana is low single digits. I could be too optimistic.

Last edited:
Yes Buzz gets heated defending the AP(R), but there has been exactly zero evidence to suggest it's anything but the best thing to happen to sportsmen in that part of the country. Why must someone always be defending it? Hasn't it proven itself yet?

I'll continue to donate no matter what Gila says.
You just want in on the safaris🤣🤣

okay. If one person kills a booner every year in this STATE, or finds booner sheds I’m satisfied that they are there and I’m disappointed in your pessimism… And it happens every year… there’s my backup.

It is a debate worth having, but not in this thread.
Actually, it's a debate not worth having. A waste of space and sure to result in more flame throwing. Right now estimating how many big trophy animals are left in the state is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Even looking at B&C records as a source would be misleading since probably as many or more hunters fail to register qualifying trophies with them. Until the state requires mandatory reporting, we'll never have a clue how many big ones POSSIBLY remain to be harvested.

In 20 years under the current FWP management structure properties such as AP that allow limited public hunting are probably going to be the only areas where a Montana resident has the slightest chance of finding a B&C animal without paying thousands of dollars for access.

Quality animals will exist on UPOM type properties and perhaps some “Save the Cowboy” ranches but you will never hunt for those animals without paying a landowner or outfitter thousands for the privilege.

Perhaps we should focus on that instead of being upset that @BuzzH is abrasive in his frustration over what Montana is squandering.

Conservatives, liberals… the labels don’t mean jack squat. Actions show values and the track record of AP compared to UPOM and Save the Cowboys tells me they believe in land conservation, responsible stewardship of public trust resources and public access.

UPOM? Save the Cowboys? They are suing FWP to reduce elk herds in Montana to 90,000.

Perhaps those folks are the ones we should be questioning about motives?

Some of you guys are just laughable. I am done here, just a monumental waste of time on this thread.
I asked you a number of very direct questions. You didn’t answer any of them. Instead, you merely offered up vague innuendo of conspiracy without any proof. You continue to claim bullshit without any evidence otherwise.

I completely get it if folks are worried about what APR might be 10 years down the road. If you don’t want to give them money, don’t. But don’t spread lies and falsehoods under the auspices of “seeking truth”.

I would far rather see a non profit with a vision an intact prairie ecosystem buying land than a billionaire buying it for his or her private playground. It certainly sucks for a young family wanting to buy a ranch, but that ship sailed long ago and has nothing to do with APR.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back