American Prairie Reserve Purchases 14,000 Acre Ranch

Ben Lamb

9600 deeded acres & 4400 leased acres now owned by the Conservation outfit. The property won't be open for hunting this season, but looks like it will on a limited basis in the future.

This ranch previously didn't allow much public access until the owner participated in the 454 program in 2018, IIRC, which gives landowners permits & licenses for allowing some public hunting (The family couldn't hunt from 2010 - 2013 due to the terms of their sentence).

Last edited:
According to the story, the owners only approached APR to purchase the property, and didn't list it anywhere. I don't think they were a part of the UPOM crowd.

The word: RESERVE is not very hunter friendly.

Are they another arm of the Nature Conservancy?

Edit: I found hunting support in their mission statement. The WMA where the Chama elk herd is located was purchased with funding from The Nature Conservancy.

Last edited:
The word: RESERVE is not very hunter friendly.

Are they another arm of the Nature Conservancy?

Edit: I found hunting support in their mission statement. The WMA where the Chama elk herd is located was purchased with funding from The Nature Conservancy.

Is the Nature Conservancy typically not hunter friendly? My only experience with TNC was on a January OTC deer hunt in AZ. They allowed hunting and I found more game on their property than anywhere else.

9600 deeded acres & 4400 leased acres now owned by the Conservation outfit. The property won't be open for hunting this season, but looks like it will on a limited basis in the future.

This ranch previously didn't allow much public access until the owner participated in the 454 program in 2018, IIRC, which gives landowners permits & licenses for allowing some public hunting (The family couldn't hunt from 2010 - 2013 due to the terms of their sentence).
It's a shame the MT state wildlife couldn`t purchase the land with donated funding. APR doesn't promote hunting opportunity. I don't agree with their agenda or their approach to habitat management.
Is the Nature Conservancy typically not hunter friendly? My only experience with TNC was on a January OTC deer hunt in AZ. They allowed hunting and I found more game on their property than anywhere else.
They only allow hunting for unique instances of over populated game species.

When the state didnt renew our permit to hold a field trial I was able to use a section of TNC land till we secured a permanent location.
I have also seen where TNC has allowed hunting..

The APR is really cool conception. I am very interested in seeing where it goes in the future.

Back