Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7mm-08: Personal Experience on Elk & Deer

LandDiver

My wife mentioned something about "maybe" getting a gun for me to go hunting with. Even though it was just a thought I got to reading up and watching what I could find on good deer and elk rifles. So I was just curious to know who here hunts with 7mm-08 for elk and deer. I know the grain of the bullet makes the difference, but I think that question would be better suited for the ammunition and reload forum.

I'm looking at the Winchester 7mm-08 Featherweight right now. So what are some of your stories.

Thanks!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year HT!

Lots of very good information on this forum about hunting big game with the 7mm-08. My wife has taken elk and whitetails with hers in the Browning X bolt Micro. 140 gr. Federal Premium Nosler Partitions.

IMO bullet weight is less important than bullet construction. That said there's multiple bullets in 140gr that I'd have no trouble hunting deer and elk with.

For a woman, might look at the Savage Lady Hunter or the Weatherby Vanguard. The pronounced Monte Carlo stock is reported to fit ladies better.

I have no experience with it as an elk gun but others on here swear by it. For a deer cartridge it is perfect. Its got a perfect balance of power and recoil.

Incidentally, I just got my son a featherweight in 7mm-08 and it is already an outstanding gun with no improvements made to the gun. Also, as someone on another thread called it, the 7mm Hunt Talk. You'll neever regret getting one.

I think Buzz has some experience with the 7-08, might search up his photos and posts. As for the model 70 fwt, I don't think you could go wrong, I've maybe got at least one in my safe, of course, it's the real baby 7. A 7x57. The 6.5 creedmoore is getting some traction as an all around caliber also, might investigate that, too.

For a woman, might look at the Savage Lady Hunter or the Weatherby Vanguard. The pronounced Monte Carlo stock is reported to fit ladies better.

This spring Kaitie and I spent a lot of time looking at both the Weatherby Camilla and the Savage Lady Hunter. We both agreed the Weatherby left the Savage in the dust. I even borrowed it a couple times this fall, she's not happy about the scratches I put in the wood stock.

As for the 7-08 (.284 H/T), I've killed whitetail, mule deer, black bear, pronghorn, caribou and moose with mine the last couple years, and never wished I had a more potent caliber. It flat works.

I don't think the OP is looking for a ladies gun. If I were to pick between the .08 and Creedmoor, I'd take the .08. The Creedmoor is the flavor of the month right now though. mtmuley

A 7mm08 is boring.

Bang-Flop. Bang-wobble-Flop. Bang-Bronco kick-Flop. Bang-Spin in a tight circle- Flop. I actually had a minor bit of excitement last year when I got two wobbles on my Lope.

Reloading is boring too. Every load combo is 1 1/2" or better.

It doesn't kick outrageously, so there is no challenge there.

I have several more interesting rifles, but I cannot understand, for the life of me, why I've kept hunting with one for the last 17 years......

Last edited:
My wife mentioned something about "maybe" getting a gun for me to go hunting with. Even though it was just a thought I got to reading up and watching what I could find on good deer and elk rifles. So I was just curious to know who here hunts with 7mm-08 for elk and deer. I know the grain of the bullet makes the difference, but I think that question would be better suited for the ammunition and reload forum.

I'm looking at the Winchester 7mm-08 Featherweight right now. So what are some of your stories.

Thanks!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year HT!

First, please refer to the cartridge by it's recognized names:
.284-H/T
or 7mm-HT

Someone should be sending Randy royalties for the increase in sales for this cartridge. Just in time for Christmas you can get a pair of Lulu yoga pants with the purchase of certain Creedmoors.
All kidding aside you could search the threads and find a ton of guys touting the 7mm-HT. I'm buying my son one for his first rifle as it's far more versatile than the 243 that I started out with

First, please refer to the cartridge by it's recognized names:
.284-H/T
or 7mm-HT

Someone should be sending Randy royalties for the increase in sales for this cartridge. Just in time for Christmas you can get a pair of Lulu yoga pants with the purchase of certain Creedmoors.
All kidding aside you could search the threads and find a ton of guys touting the 7mm-HT. I'm buying my son one for his first rifle as it's far more versatile than the 243 that I started out with

Amen to that

[/B]
Amen to that

My son and I haven't had the occasion to test his 08 on elk yet, but what I've seen of the damage on an antelope @ 200 yds as delivered by a 140 partition, I've no reservations about using that load for elk. The more I shoot and reload for that rifle, the more I want one of my own.

This spring Kaitie and I spent a lot of time looking at both the Weatherby Camilla and the Savage Lady Hunter. We both agreed the Weatherby left the Savage in the dust. I even borrowed it a couple times this fall, she's not happy about the scratches I put in the wood stock.

As for the 7-08 (.284 H/T), I've killed whitetail, mule deer, black bear, pronghorn, caribou and moose with mine the last couple years, and never wished I had a more potent caliber. It flat works.

In addition to those you listed above, I watched you shoot a Montana Mountain Goat with a 7mm-.08 with one shot, using 140 grain E-tip bullets.

In addition to those you listed above, I watched you shoot a Montana Mountain Goat with a 7mm-.08 with one shot, using 140 grain E-tip bullets.

Indeed! I was only thinking of my rifle.

Merry Christmas Fin.

My daughter shoots the 7-08 with 120 grn Noslers over 44 grns of Varget. I've been lucky enough to see 3 deer, 2 elk fall with her on the trigger. Complete penetrations on all shots, even punching both shoulders on a big cow elk. It flat out works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back