7mm-08: Personal Experience on Elk & Deer

My wife and daughter both shoot them. They are getting just under 1" groups using Hornady whitetail ammo 139gr. I was just researching 6.5's vs. 7mm-08 and they are basically identical it seems. I'm kinda confused at the current rage of 6.5 knowing this. Greenhorn shot an elk way out there one year using one, if I recall correctly. It's a great round. I made a crappy shot on a bear with one. Not the guns fault.

Don't think GH used a Creedmoor. If I were to follow the 6.5 craze, I'd build what he used, or the version built on the .06 case. mtmuley

Don't think GH used a Creedmoor. If I were to follow the 6.5 craze, I'd build what he used, or the version built on the .06 case. mtmuley

No he didn't. I meant he used a 7mm-08. I thought he said it was his son's. Sorry for the confusion.

3 lope, 4 bucks,3 doe wt, 1 cow elk, and 1 bull moose 140ab, 140 vld's, 150 partitions, have proven effective...I was skeptical but now I am a believer..I regularly choose my kids youth 7-08 over all others when I go out in the backcountry. It's fun and kills stuff dead...

I was 7-08 before it was cool...

I am waiting on the delivery of a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .284 H/T.

I am going to start out with a box of Nosler Trophy Grade 140g E-tips and a Box of Federal 140g Trophy Coppers, and see which it likes best. I have had incredible performance from ABs in 6.5 and .30 as well, and wouldn't hesitate to shoot them out of this new rifle either.

I have zero concern about its ability to kill any ungulate, after witnessing the killing sprees Bigfin, Randy11, and Buzzh (just to name a few) have gone on over the last few years with it.

My dad bought my brother and I 7mm-HT's in Remington Model 7 Mnt Rifles almost 20 years ago and we've both killed countless whitetails and mule deer and a few goats. Never had any issues or concerns with the caliber or effectiveness.

Thank you everyone for the responses. Truly appreciate them. Now to decide on a either a 4-16x50 or 3-12x42 scope for this...

You can tell from the picture that he was in shock, didnt realize just how big they are until you wrap your hands around one

Thank you everyone for the responses. Truly appreciate them. Now to decide on a either a 4-16x50 or 3-12x42 scope for this...

Leupold VX6 in 2-12 would serve you nicely with the 7mm-08.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/optics/riflescopes%7C/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104535180/leupold-reg-vx-6-trade-cds-zerolock-trade-riflescope/2312933.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Friflescopes%2Fleupold%2F_%2FN-1100246%2B1000003881%2FNe-1000003881%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

I am putting a VX3i 3.5-10 on mine to replace a lower quality scope.

My wife mentioned something about "maybe" getting a gun for me to go hunting with. Even though it was just a thought I got to reading up and watching what I could find on good deer and elk rifles. So I was just curious to know who here hunts with 7mm-08 for elk and deer. I know the grain of the bullet makes the difference, but I think that question would be better suited for the ammunition and reload forum.

I'm looking at the Winchester 7mm-08 Featherweight right now. So what are some of your stories.

Thanks!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year HT!
Just curious as to whether or not you ever got that 7mm-08 and if so what you think of it? Got my wife a 7mm-08 and this is her first year hunting with it. She'll be shooting 140gr for deer and 150gr for elk. From what I've read that's the best route to go.

I can’t say enough good about the round. Bought one for my son and he took his first elk. Now I want one. My only wish is that I had gotten a 22” barrel. The 20” for my son is good but think the 22” would be a better all around barrel length.

We have a 7mm-08 (Remington 700 with 24 inch barrel) and that is what my wife uses to shoot her deer each year. 139 gr. Hornady Interlock bullets in handloads work well.

A few years go she shot a Shiras moose using 154 gr. Hornady Interbond bullets, one shot put him down and one shot to finish him off.

ClearCreek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back