Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2014 SHOT Show report

Randy, I'm guessing yer loyal buy American crowd is grating their teeth reading yer post on the Titan....

I am sure you are right with that comment. Some might be crafting an email right now. I think the exchange below will give some interesting perspective to all who read this.

I've received many emails from guys who work at auto plants hammering me for driving a Nissan. One of the union guys who held some sway at UAW and worked for GM even went so far as to call me personally in 2009.

I explained to him what the Big Three tell the hunting TV shows, or I should say, what their ad agencies tell the hunting shows. He was very surprised and his demeanor changed instantly. I sent him a copy of the proposals my sales group had sent to all of the Big Three, on behalf of my show and a couple others they sold for, where we would drive a Big Three truck with a ton of after-market improvements to make it more applicable to the hunting we do. This union guy said he would try to get some attention in the marketing group of GM via his power with UAW, though I knew the odds were about zero.

I think he gave it a good effort via the channels he had. He called me about a month later. His comment was, "No wonder those f(*&ing idiots ran us into bankruptcy." His words, not mine.

If the loyal buy American crowd knew how the Big Three ad agencies looked at hunting when I first started this show, and how their ad agencies laughed at what was the deal of the century when it came to offers to be in our show and in a partnership with some other shows, they would understand why not too many in the outdoor world have a lot of appreciation for the Big Three ad agencies.

Dodge now gets it and is marketing heavily in the hunting world. Dodge and Nissan had entered into a truck partnership in 2008, but thanks to a Big Three bankruptcy, that partnership was dissolved. The guy who started the Dodge Ram campaign in the outdoor world is now the CEO of Nissan.

Ford seems to be getting it and marketing more to the hunter directly. Their Raptor is the only truck that could handle some of what we do and it is not at all set up to be a good hunting truck.

We are seeing Ford and Dodge Ram making a run at the outdoor segment with their own sponsored shows. I have watched some of that. To me, those have turned out to be 30-minute informercials; maybe driving the truck through the occassional mud puddle and talking about the new computerized cockpits so some guy can always call home to Momma. Toyota is a complete bailout on the audience. Chevy runs some ads at the network level as part of big ad buys, but they don't have a truck that would hold up under our conditions without some serious after-market modifications.

All of that is a reflection of their ad agencies knowing nothing about hunting, so they get sweet talked into doing some show that is nothing but a truck informercial and almost makes you want to put your finger down the back of your throat. I feel sorry for the hosts of those shows who have to do what the ad agency tells them.

Look at the Ford Outfitters show. That is some candy ass product integration. Fred Eichler is a serious hunter. His hunting could take that truck to some terrible places where he lives in Colorado. Instead they have him driving down the interstate in Kansas talking about the smooth ride and the navigation system. Not because Fred wants to do it that way, rather I suspect because that is what some non-hunter at the ad agency wants them to do. Makes one wonder why they don't have Fred beat the hell out of it. Are they afraid it would not provide the image they want? I put my Titan through the same amount of abuse by driving to work in the morning as they do with the trucks on that show.

Everyone in the hunting TV world bends over backwards to work with the Big Three, because of the made in America idea. Just the Red White Blue feeling that exists in us hunters. The ad agencies of the Big Three know of that underlying sentiment and in my opinion, take it for granted.

I am always looking for the made in America idea. I just got called out for our Alaska black bear episode when the boat motor broke down and when I started working on it I pointed to a sticker that showed where it was assembled and I said, "Here's part of the problem, Made in Mexico." Some people complained to me and the network. I feel strongly about made in America and when possible. Sometimes, quality or ineptness of the product to our application makes that nearly impossible.

When we go to the dealership I suspect we all look at the sticker that shows the percentage of products, etc. that come from the US. When we look at Nissan, Toyota, etc., they have about the same percentage as the Big Three. The Nissan Titan is made in Mississippi, which last time I checked, is still America, regardless of what they say in Detroit.

The Titam is still the best hunting truck I can find for the applications I need. Others have changed body styling to look more like a car, in search of improved mileage. I would ruin those mileage-improving features. If I can find a truck with better hunting qualities, I will be driving it. I buy these trucks out of my own pocket. The truck that comes closest to the Titan in having the mix of features needed for what we do is the new Dodge Ram.

The Fords, Chevys, and "fancy pants" styling of the Toyotas would be missing parts and pieces after about three hunts. Just the way they have decided to build, and given the success they have had, they were on target to reach the guy who does mostly highway driving and occassionally will head off the pavement. These are mostly highway trucks to be taken off road once in a while, which is what the majority of hunters do. Makes sense from a marketing standpoint, even if it does not fit well for what I do with my trucks.

I have 83,000 miles on my current Titan. I suspect over 75% of those miles are on the worst roads in America. It runs and rides extremely well for a truck with that kind of abuse. If the Big Three could produce a truck anywhere near that durable, useful, and applicable for our purpose, I would seriously consider spending $40,000+ with those companies when I replace this truck next year. But, given what they currently have as selection, I don't think I will spend too much time investigating.

Ford obviously has a great proven tradition in the F-150. I understand that most people do not need a truck that has the features I need. Ford would be fools to change what has proven to be such a great idea. It sells better than any vehicle in America.

If I end up driving another Titan, it will be because I cannot find another truck that fills my needs as well as the Titan. And given what they are doing in the next model design, there is a good chance it will fill my needs even better than the one I currently drive, Titan #4.

May need to transform my 25-06 AI itch to a 7-08.

I have no compunctions expending a little discretionary cash for a few quality trinkets manufactured elsewhere.

Randy,

I think another reason that the big 3, really dont market, or design, their trucks with the hunter in mind is because of all the ATV/UTV out there.

What I see, more and more, on the rougher roads across the 8 states I work in, is that as the roads get rougher, the road gets narrower.

In other words, whether hunters are driving a big 3 truck, a nissan, or grannies oldsmobuick, they're pulling ATV's and not beating the chit out of their $40,000 trucks. They're using their $5-10K (or much less if you buy a good used one) ATV when the roads turn to crap.

Its to the point now, that many roads that are open to trucks, I dont care what truck you buy/drive, you arent going to take them to the places you did 20 years ago.

Thats even more true with the fact that most USFS/BLM road maintenance budgets barely keep up with whats needed for the main forest routes/roads.

I think a lot of hunters are looking at trucks now days as the mechanism that pulls their ATV tailer/toy hauler to a jumping off point.

The requirements of that type of vehicle are wayyy different than if you're attempting to use your truck as an ATV.

I dont disagree that the big 3 could market better and design trucks to be more like trucks with the hunter in mind. They should. Its just that with ATV's hunters have lots more options than they did 20 years ago.

I am sure you are right with that comment. Some might be crafting an email right now. I think the exchange below will give some interesting perspective to all who read this.

I've received many emails from guys who work at auto plants hammering me for driving a Nissan. One of the union guys who held some sway at UAW and worked for GM even went so far as to call me personally in 2009.

I explained to him what the Big Three tell the hunting TV shows, or I should say, what their ad agencies tell the hunting shows. He was very surprised and his demeanor changed instantly. I sent him a copy of the proposals my sales group had sent to all of the Big Three, on behalf of my show and a couple others they sold for, where we would drive a Big Three truck with a ton of after-market improvements to make it more applicable to the hunting we do. This union guy said he would try to get some attention in the marketing group of GM via his power with UAW, though I knew the odds were about zero.

I think he gave it a good effort via the channels he had. He called me about a month later. His comment was, "No wonder those f(*&ing idiots ran us into bankruptcy." His words, not mine.

If the loyal buy American crowd knew how the Big Three ad agencies looked at hunting when I first started this show, and how their ad agencies laughed at what was the deal of the century when it came to offers to be in our show and in a partnership with some other shows, they would understand why not too many in the outdoor world have a lot of appreciation for the Big Three ad agencies.

Dodge now gets it and is marketing heavily in the hunting world. Dodge and Nissan had entered into a truck partnership in 2008, but thanks to a Big Three bankruptcy, that partnership was dissolved. The guy who started the Dodge Ram campaign in the outdoor world is now the CEO of Nissan.

Ford seems to be getting it and marketing more to the hunter directly. Their Raptor is the only truck that could handle some of what we do and it is not at all set up to be a good hunting truck.

We are seeing Ford and Dodge Ram making a run at the outdoor segment with their own sponsored shows. I have watched some of that. To me, those have turned out to be 30-minute informercials; maybe driving the truck through the occassional mud puddle and talking about the new computerized cockpits so some guy can always call home to Momma. Toyota is a complete bailout on the audience. Chevy runs some ads at the network level as part of big ad buys, but they don't have a truck that would hold up under our conditions without some serious after-market modifications.

All of that is a reflection of their ad agencies knowing nothing about hunting, so they get sweet talked into doing some show that is nothing but a truck informercial and almost makes you want to put your finger down the back of your throat. I feel sorry for the hosts of those shows who have to do what the ad agency tells them.

Look at the Ford Outfitters show. That is some candy ass product integration. Fred Eichler is a serious hunter. His hunting could take that truck to some terrible places where he lives in Colorado. Instead they have him driving down the interstate in Kansas talking about the smooth ride and the navigation system. Not because Fred wants to do it that way, rather I suspect because that is what some non-hunter at the ad agency wants them to do. Makes one wonder why they don't have Fred beat the hell out of it. Are they afraid it would not provide the image they want? I put my Titan through the same amount of abuse by driving to work in the morning as they do with the trucks on that show.

Everyone in the hunting TV world bends over backwards to work with the Big Three, because of the made in America idea. Just the Red White Blue feeling that exists in us hunters. The ad agencies of the Big Three know of that underlying sentiment and in my opinion, take it for granted.

I am always looking for the made in America idea. I just got called out for our Alaska black bear episode when the boat motor broke down and when I started working on it I pointed to a sticker that showed where it was assembled and I said, "Here's part of the problem, Made in Mexico." Some people complained to me and the network. I feel strongly about made in America and when possible. Sometimes, quality or ineptness of the product to our application makes that nearly impossible.

When we go to the dealership I suspect we all look at the sticker that shows the percentage of products, etc. that come from the US. When we look at Nissan, Toyota, etc., they have about the same percentage as the Big Three. The Nissan Titan is made in Mississippi, which last time I checked, is still America, regardless of what they say in Detroit.

The Titam is still the best hunting truck I can find for the applications I need. Others have changed body styling to look more like a car, in search of improved mileage. I would ruin those mileage-improving features. If I can find a truck with better hunting qualities, I will be driving it. I buy these trucks out of my own pocket. The truck that comes closest to the Titan in having the mix of features needed for what we do is the new Dodge Ram.

The Fords, Chevys, and "fancy pants" styling of the Toyotas would be missing parts and pieces after about three hunts. Just the way they have decided to build, and given the success they have had, they were on target to reach the guy who does mostly highway driving and occassionally will head off the pavement. These are mostly highway trucks to be taken off road once in a while, which is what the majority of hunters do. Makes sense from a marketing standpoint, even if it does not fit well for what I do with my trucks.

I have 83,000 miles on my current Titan. I suspect over 75% of those miles are on the worst roads in America. It runs and rides extremely well for a truck with that kind of abuse. If the Big Three could produce a truck anywhere near that durable, useful, and applicable for our purpose, I would seriously consider spending $40,000+ with those companies when I replace this truck next year. But, given what they currently have as selection, I don't think I will spend too much time investigating.

Ford obviously has a great proven tradition in the F-150. I understand that most people do not need a truck that has the features I need. Ford would be fools to change what has proven to be such a great idea. It sells better than any vehicle in America.

If I end up driving another Titan, it will be because I cannot find another truck that fills my needs as well as the Titan. And given what they are doing in the next model design, there is a good chance it will fill my needs even better than the one I currently drive, Titan #4.

I'm seriously laughing out loud at this. It's funny because too many guys get their panties in a wad over trucks, but more importantly in this situation because they fail to understand the details.

I'm laughing because of the pussification of trucks in America. I get that most of the market wants something that looks like a truck but functions like a grocery getter. It's just funny that the ad agencies are effectively emasculating so many "sportsman" with their product placement....well maybe their bedazzled designer jeans did that first.

Keep rocking the Titan Randy, though it is unfortunate viewers are PO'd because you aren't driving your sparkled out Ford to a corn feeder. I'm sure those folks got a good chuckle of you getting towed out by WYF&G in last seasons WY elk episode.

Looking forward to more information on both products! Not sure how the Howa is designed, but I'm guessing a lot is done with computers. Please, please have them do a mirror image and make a lefty. I have a son that would get two, should that happen!

Do you happen to remember the barrel length on the Howa? Will they be offered in Stainless?

Not sure if a lefty will be offerred.

The barrel length is being finalized. I think the final version may be closer to 20" to try reach 5.5 - 5.6 pounds.

Plan is it will be all stainless. Again, that is the plan, but everything is being tweaked at this point. Barrel and action will be coated with Cerakote.

I think the name of the other stock company is Banser or Bansner, something like that. That stock option is one of the current hurdles, given the limited availability of production. I wish I had all the details of that. That it was the stock on the rifle I had this week and I can attest it was very light and impressive.

With a Bell and Carlson stock, it will probably weight about 6.2 pounds.

They want to sell the base package to include Talley lightweight two-piece alloy scope base and rings. Those will add 1 ounce.

Randy,

I think another reason that the big 3, really dont market, or design, their trucks with the hunter in mind is because of all the ATV/UTV out there.

What I see, more and more, on the rougher roads across the 8 states I work in, is that as the roads get rougher, the road gets narrower.

In other words, whether hunters are driving a big 3 truck, a nissan, or grannies oldsmobuick, they're pulling ATV's and not beating the chit out of their $40,000 trucks. They're using their $5-10K (or much less if you buy a good used one) ATV when the roads turn to crap.

Its to the point now, that many roads that are open to trucks, I dont care what truck you buy/drive, you arent going to take them to the places you did 20 years ago.

Thats even more true with the fact that most USFS/BLM road maintenance budgets barely keep up with whats needed for the main forest routes/roads.

I think a lot of hunters are looking at trucks now days as the mechanism that pulls their ATV tailer/toy hauler to a jumping off point.

The requirements of that type of vehicle are wayyy different than if you're attempting to use your truck as an ATV.

I dont disagree that the big 3 could market better and design trucks to be more like trucks with the hunter in mind. They should. Its just that with ATV's hunters have lots more options than they did 20 years ago.

Good point, Buzz. I never thought of that.

Since I don't own an ATV/UTV, my Titan has to tow my trailer to those places and act as a UTV once we set up camp. And since I don't have a trailer big enough for all the production gear, along with an ATV/UTV, I need a truck that will go where the UTVs will.

Randy,
Thanks for the perspective. I think the attitude of the big three when it comes to consumers (let alone what you have related) is the deal-sealer. I drive a Tacoma Double cab (built in CA) which I ended up choosing over a Frontier based on interior room and love it. Before I stepped into either a Nissan or Toyota dealership I went to check out the Dakotas and the Colorados. Beside what I saw as a fairly noticeable lack of F&F, I was astounded at how I was treated. Part of it was being in a Military town (Fayette-nam) where they have a captive audience with poor spending habits but the other part was simply the attitude that we "have" to buy because it is AMERICAN. While I would much rather spend my dollars in a way to keep as many of them as possible at home I WILL NOT be taken advantage of in order to do so. The Dodge salesman utterly refused to deal at all, literally "the sticker is what the price is" including MARK UP for the love of all things wholly!! The GM dealer had a "military discount" but their set of required up-charges ended up being right at sticker as well. After going to the Nissan and Toyota dealers I realized I would have been disappointed with either the Dodge or the Chevy. I ended up getting a really nice deal on my truck with exactly the equipment I wanted on it and didn't feel all greasy when I left the show room. Service and quality are definitely something the Japanese companies and their dealers take seriously. I am excited to see what the new Titan Diesel will offer as I love the Cummins power plants. Thanks again, and best to Mama!!

I'm sure those folks got a good chuckle of you getting towed out by WYF&G in last seasons WY elk episode.

Yeah, I am sure people laugh about that. As do I, now. At the time it was happening, the pucker factor was high.

Thanks to the damn VDC settings that is now required on all trucks for people who don't know how to drive on snow or ice. When I was screaming up that icy hill, I got to the crest and when some spinning started, the VDC took over and my RPMs died. It was then a backwards slide down an icy slope into some trees. If not for the VDC, that clip would never have been taken. But, it did make for good TV.

Moral of the story. Turn off your VDC once you get off the highway.

I asked the engineer if they could get rid of that. I always forget about it and when things get tough and I "give it the onion," the VDC will often kick in and kill my momentum. I hate that setting. I am tempted to find a way to disable it on my current truck.

And in honor of one of our Hunt Talkers, Legacy Sports, the parent company of Howa, introduced this very nice upland shotgun.

I hereby present to you "The Pointer."

1505229_620841711286763_458439693_n.jpg

Works for lefties, as well as righties. ;)

And the long-range crowd was talking a lot about this new offering from Leupold. I did not get a chance to use it. The line at the bench was longer than I had time for. Comes in a CDS with illumination.

1512801_10151969339837968_1245915876_n.jpg

Great info on the trucks. I'm heading down to the show in a few minutes to cruise around.

I have to agree that the Big 3 are way behind and somewhat take our patriotism for granted. That Dodge Outdoorsman show is a JOKE. Country club hunts in million dollar lodges with pathetic product placements throughout. The animals were almost tame in the episode or 2 that I stomached. The only thing they forgot to show were the maid service and pillow fluffers.

I just look at the ground clearance alone on the Chevrolets and cringe as most of those trucks wouldn't make it to half the places I've pushed my truck. I've beat the snot out of my Tundra around the west and it's held up really well. The Colorado pinstripes are like a badge of honor now.

Good point Buzz on the ATV/UTVs.

And in honor of one of our Hunt Talkers, Legacy Sports, the parent company of Howa, introduced this very nice upland shotgun.

I hereby present to you "The Pointer."

View attachment 39495

Works for lefties, as well as righties. ;)
Since it's name after me I should get one gratis! :D

Thanks for the other info on products. Personally, I think Howa should go with at least a 22" barrel. 2" of barrel, of that contour can't add more than an oz or two at most. 20" barreled guns just don't move as well IMO. The addition of the Bansner stock is a good one! Very few factory rifles come with stocks of that quality. Good on them for that!

But, But, but, my Chevy was "Like a Rock" in the commercials. That has to count for something doesn't it?

Looking forward to more information on both products! Not sure how the Howa is designed, but I'm guessing a lot is done with computers. Please, please have them do a mirror image and make a lefty. I have a son that would get two, should that happen!

Do you happen to remember the barrel length on the Howa? Will they be offered in Stainless?

As a lefty, I agree wholeheartedly. If they were to offer a 308 lefty, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

We trust Mrs. Finn is on the mend.
Lefty in .260 Rem with at least 22 inch barrel would get my credit card out.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back