Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2014 SHOT Show report

Not sure if a lefty will be offerred.

Why is it most gun makers ignore us lefties?

I grew up shooting right-handed guns, and generally don't have a problem shooting them, but I sure hate it when the bolt digs into my side while I'm carrying it up the mountain.

Why is it most gun makers ignore us lefties?

The same reason that most camo companies don't make petite sizes - the bean counters have looked at the required investment for that size of a market and determined it is a better use of resources to allocate toward other endeavors. Most studies you read show 10% of the world is left handed.

What Map - No .260 Remington will be offered. Just like the left-hand issue, if you are going to do something like this, the bean counters will dictate it be done for the most popular cartridges, in this case, short action cartridges.

Sorry guys.

...same reason you can't buy a nice rack suit with a 48" coat and a 34" waist trouser.

Randy, I understand why you're a Nissan guy... support those that support you. 100%, I get it.

Here is a different perspective based on that EXACT same premise.

My family owns a Ford and Nissan dealership started by my great-grandfather in 1943. Obviously, the reason you support Nissan is the reason that I support Ford and Nissan... because they have supported me and mine.

I obviously understand that you have far more experience with the ad agencies from the manufacturers than I do from the TV perspective, and am not arguing that. I do however disagree with your general premise that Nissan trucks are inherently more durable or tough than a Ford truck. I have access to dozens of each on the lot right now, I get to drive them as soon as they come out, whenever I want, and have hunted from the Canadian border to the Mexican border in them... maybe on some of the same roads you are hunting on.

There isn't a place in the world that an apples-to-apples stock truck from either manufacturer could tackle that the other couldn't. To put it more bluntly, Titans are not more offroad-capable than F-150's. And this is from somebody that has equal allegiance and experience with each.

Again, I get your allegiance. I just don't feel it needs to lead to the denigration of a competitor. I feel you can talk-up Nissan and their support of your show and the hunting industry without bringing down others.

We can however agree that Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota are junk. ;-)

Randy, I understand why you're a Nissan guy... support those that support you. 100%, I get it.

To make it completely clear, I have no relationship with Nissan. It is not editorial from a "support those who support you" perspective. I get paid nothing from them; never have. I have bought four Titans with my own money. None of what I wrote has anything to do with a financial relationship, rathter what has worked remarkably well for what I use.

My wife wishes it was a function of "support those that support you." She would not see our savings account take a big hit every three or four years and would not give me so much grief for the way I treat my trucks. :D

Here is a different perspective based on that EXACT same premise.

My family owns a Ford and Nissan dealership started by my great-grandfather in 1943. Obviously, the reason you support Nissan is the reason that I support Ford and Nissan... because they have supported me and mine.

I obviously understand that you have far more experience with the ad agencies from the manufacturers than I do from the TV perspective, and am not arguing that. I do however disagree with your general premise that Nissan trucks are inherently more durable or tough than a Ford truck. I have access to dozens of each on the lot right now, I get to drive them as soon as they come out, whenever I want, and have hunted from the Canadian border to the Mexican border in them... maybe on some of the same roads you are hunting on.

There isn't a place in the world that an apples-to-apples stock truck from either manufacturer could tackle that the other couldn't. To put it more bluntly, Titans are not more offroad-capable than F-150's. And this is from somebody that has equal allegiance and experience with each.

Again, I get your allegiance. I just don't feel it needs to lead to the denigration of a competitor. I feel you can talk-up Nissan and their support of your show and the hunting industry without bringing down others.

We can however agree that Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota are junk. ;-)

Understand. I was very careful to state, "for the use that I have" and "for my applications." I just went and read it again and I see nothing disparaging of other brands, rather comments about how styling that improves fuel economy will not hold up in true off road situations. I think I was very clear that the Ford F-150 was a great truck, proven by the sales it garners.

All that being said, I would disagree that all trucks are built the same for the same task. There are no "apples to apples" comparisons when it comes to stock trucks. If you could get to an exact "apples to apples" from everything to engines, trannies, rear ends, differentials, body styles that allow the same approach angles and turning radiuses, clearance, etc. then I would agree with you completely. But, such is not the case and why each model/brand has better applications than others and are the reason their sales are higher for those placing priority on such applications.

My Titan is not built to do some of the things an F-150 does better. The F-150 will get better mileage. My Titan will not tow the way an F-250 will. One could find other brands with some features that would be better than a Titan, but those are not the features that are my highest priority.

On the flip side, the size and body design of an F-150 will not allow it to go a lot of places I go with my Titan Pro4X. It would tear parts and pieces off the F-150. The same as if it would to a Silverado Z71, or a Tundra. I say that from experience of guys who have followed us in their larger styled trucks, into places not being able to go in or over some obstacles due to angles of approach, break-over angles, turning radius, etc. Just simple physics.

Yes, if these guys were to make some after market changes to their trucks, the answer would be different. With lift kits, etc., they could go the same places I go with an "off the show room floor" Pro-4X. Then, they would also lose the fuel economy they get from their current stock styling/designs.

All trucks have applications that allow them to perform better. In the case of what I do, the places I go, the loads I carry, the Titan is what works best, even if I pay for those other attributes with lower fuel economy. If it was the best truck for more general purpose applications, Nissan would be selling Titans like Ford sells F-150s.

As far as durability goes, maybe my experience was the exception, rather than the rule, and maybe a lot has changed since 2000-2005, the years in which I owned F-150s and Silverados. I did not give those examples, as they would have not been complimentary of those two models. Again, all of that may have changed, but is how/why my search for a new solution resulted in my buying a Titan in 2005.

My point was to discuss how the Titan has performed for me and the unique applications I have. I am confident that I am one of the most abusive users of trucks that you will find in America. Seldom does anyone go on a hunt with us without commenting something like "I'm glad this is your truck and not mine." Or, "Let me get out and walk through this section." Or .....

Point being, this was to tell how well the Titan has worked for us and if the changes I have been told about end up incorporated, I suspect the new Titan will work remarkably well for the same abusive conditions.

If you thought I was disparaging other brands, that was not my intent and I don't think I did. All trucks have their place and purpose where they excel. In my case, I have not found one that fits my needs as well as the Titan does. I do disagree that all stock trucks are equal for off-road situations, as they are all designed and built differently.

Like I said earlier, if I find a truck that does fill my needs better than what I currently drive, that company will be getting my money. Can I buy that next Titan from you?

I was under the impression that you received an incentive from Nissan as part of the proposals you mentioned, sorry I misunderstood.

My apples-to-apples point was that the Titan Pro-4X is comparable in off-road capability to the Ford F-150 FX4, as opposed to comparing it to the F-150 Platinum, for example. (The F-150 Raptor is a specialized vehicle and in a whole league of its own.)

All the manufacturers are making good trucks. I am just glad you have found one that works well for you.

When you are ready for a new truck, give me a call. I'd be honored to work with you.

What Map - No .260 Remington will be offered. Just like the left-hand issue, if you are going to do something like this, the bean counters will dictate it be done for the most popular cartridges, in this case, short action cartridges.

At 260 Rem is a short action ;)

I realize though it has nowhere near the big game pull that the 7-08 and 308 have though.

My apples-to-apples point was that the Titan Pro-4X is comparable in off-road capability to the Ford F-150 FX4, as opposed to comparing it to the F-150 Platinum, for example. (The F-150 Raptor is a specialized vehicle and in a whole league of its own.)

All the manufacturers are making good trucks. I am just glad you have found one that works well for you.

When you are ready for a new truck, give me a call. I'd be honored to work with you.

Got it. You will hear from me when Mrs. Fin allows me the new truck.

I realize though it has nowhere near the big game pull that the 7-08 and 308 have though.

Ooops, meant to say "popular short action cartridges." I love the .260 Rem. I almost bought one a few years back. But, it is not in the high-demand category of a .308 or 7mm-.08.

Randy,

It was great to meet you at the show. I think I was able to get to all the booths I was interested in? The show is really too big to try and see everything. This was my first SHOT show and all I can say is WOW.

And in honor of one of our Hunt Talkers, Legacy Sports, the parent company of Howa, introduced this very nice upland shotgun.

I hereby present to you "The Pointer."

View attachment 39495

Works for lefties, as well as righties. ;)
if this is stocked for left handrs and is 20 gauge i will take 2 today for my son and i

if they are using the bansner stock, it needs to be the sheep hunter model, a 22in barrel will make a great difference on how the gun will handle and shoot in field shooting positions,,,

Not sure if a lefty will be offerred.

The barrel length is being finalized. I think the final version may be closer to 20" to try reach 5.5 - 5.6 pounds.

Plan is it will be all stainless. Again, that is the plan, but everything is being tweaked at this point. Barrel and action will be coated with Cerakote.

I think the name of the other stock company is Banser or Bansner, something like that. That stock option is one of the current hurdles, given the limited availability of production. I wish I had all the details of that. That it was the stock on the rifle I had this week and I can attest it was very light and impressive.

With a Bell and Carlson stock, it will probably weight about 6.2 pounds.

They want to sell the base package to include Talley lightweight two-piece alloy scope base and rings. Those will add 1 ounce.

As for lefties...if 10% of population that hunts seeks out a left-handed rifle or shotgun but 90% of gun models offer ONLY right-handed versions then there is a sales opportunity that is actually bigger than 10% when a model does offer a lefty.

Mrs. Fin is up and back to reading Hunt Talk threads, via my log in. She asked that all of you know how much she appreciates your comments and support. You guys are building some brownie points for the times when I am on the road and she is the moderator.

From Kim, "Thanks to all of you for the kind thoughts and well wishes."

After a day at the show I feel like I didn't even see 1/4 of it. I thought the Howa with the Kryptek hydro dip was pretty sweet. Optifade would look even better IMO.

Lots of outdoors "celebrities" rolling around. Surprisingly most of the guys I recognized are actually larger in real life than I guessed.

Overall a fun day of buzzing around looking at all the goodies I don't have hiding places for around the house. Probably have to hit it again in the morning for awhile.

The same reason that most camo companies don't make petite sizes - the bean counters have looked at the required investment for that size of a market and determined it is a better use of resources to allocate toward other endeavors. Most studies you read show 10% of the world is left handed.

Sorry guys.

My wife and I have had very good luck with .260 (6.5) bullets for antelope, deer and elk. I think a .260 bullet that will mushroom and hold together is a very good choice for most situations that we face in MT and WY. But I understand that the .260 Rem is not as popular at the .308 or 7x08, but I prefer it. I personally use a 6.5x06 (better than .25x06 IMO); my wife uses the .260 Rem (6.5x08).

Also, I am right handed but I shoot left handed. My left eye is dominate. I have heard, but I don't know if it true, that 10% of the population is left handed but nearly 20% of us shoot left handed. Anyone know if this is true?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back