Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming NR Elk Results Posted

Yep, some guys are in for a shock.
I think WGFD wardens are going to make a little revenue for the state on that change. Will take some mighty restraint to pass on giants to shoot raghorns, especially if you didn't know the change going in.

I think WGFD wardens are going to make a little revenue for the state on that change. Will take some mighty restraint to pass on giants to shoot raghorns, especially if you didn't know the change going in.
What giants might they be? When was the last time you saw a giant in unit 100?

The vast majority of even Type 1 tags in 100 are filled with 280-300 type 6 points or 5 pts. Cant imagine anyone that would be happy with a 5 pt getting pissy about having to limit to 4 pt. Sure did not hear of an extraordinary amount of non-legal bulls last year. Not sure the change with make it worse. This unit is patrolled heavily. Seeing a warden is darn near a guarentee.

What giants might they be? When was the last time you saw a giant in unit 100?

Zero, Buzz. There are zero big mature bull elk in 100.

The vast majority of even Type 1 tags in 100 are filled with 280-300 type 6 points or 5 pts. Cant imagine anyone that would be happy with a 5 pt getting pissy about having to limit to 4 pt. Sure did not hear of an extraordinary amount of non-legal bulls last year. Not sure the change with make it worse. This unit is patrolled heavily. Seeing a warden is darn near a guarentee.

I'm happy to hear it probably won't be an issue. It was probably cynical of me but when I saw that regulatory change my first thought went to folks disregarding it.

Hang some pictures of a 350 bull that's come from unit 100, better yet a booner.

I guess if you think any 6x6 is a giant, different story.

The only reason to hunt 100 is the unique country, surely not for a "giant" bull elk. That unit wouldn't even be in my top 15 if I were looking for a giant bull elk in Wyoming.

Had to edit this to the new draw result. Your right he drew the one random tag.

It took over 8 points in the special.
Yep, that was me. You are absolutely right, @Addicting. I thought that I had drawn with six points in the Special draw but after further review, looks like I did draw that single random tag. Wow. Feeling very blessed to be heading to Wyoming with that tag.

Hang some pictures of a 350 bull that's come from unit 100, better yet a booner.

I guess if you think any 6x6 is a giant, different story.

The only reason to hunt 100 is the unique country, surely not for a "giant" bull elk. That unit wouldn't even be in my top 15 if I were looking for a giant bull elk in Wyoming.
At no point did I throw scores around or even mention B&C. Nor did I intend to start a debate about the top 15 elk units in Wyoming. Any big mature bull would be a giant by my definition. Im not really sure why you're being hyper-critical of the definition of such a ubiquitous term.

Maybe some day before I die of old age I'll draw a tag in that part of the world and see it for myself. Now back to the thread...

At no point did I throw scores around or even mention B&C. Nor did I intend to start a debate about the top 15 elk units in Wyoming. Any big mature bull would be a giant by my definition. Im not really sure why you're being hyper-critical of the definition of such a ubiquitous term.

Maybe some day before I die of old age I'll draw a tag in that part of the world and see it for myself. Now back to the thread...
I think its fair to let hunters burning tons of points on tags like 100 that there are very, very few giant elk found there.

There are way better units to burn points on than 100 if you're looking for a really big elk.

Yep, some guys are in for a shock.

Guaranteed someone's going to go into this hunt thinking it has the same restriction as last season's.

I can't believe the amount of points dropped on this tag. I was happy to burn 3 PP last year but no way in hell I would've dropped 15 points on this tag, even with last year's antler restriction.

I had a great hunt there and saw tons of elk, ultimately shot a 4x4 right before a massive storm rolled in! I'd happily burn another 3 PP on a hunt like that.

@JohnBud PM me if you want.

Draw odds posted. One guy burned 13 points on a general tag in the regular draw and 2 people burned 11 points on the general tag in the special draw. I would think those 2 must be special because I think they should have realized that with 11 points they would have drawn the same tag for $400 less in the general with a high degree of confidence.

Looks like it took > 4 points for both the regular and the special draw for the general tag as rmyoung1 noted.
Or, a tag application service made the decision. I recall when Cabela's Application Service sent the AZ Sheep apps a day late...so not only did all those hopeful applicants not have a chance to get a tag that year, they also did not get a Sheep point that year and lost the Loyalty Point for the next 5 draws. Ouch. Details are important.

Yep, that was me. You are absolutely right, @Addicting. I thought that I had drawn with six points in the Special draw but after further review, looks like I did draw that single random tag. Wow. Feeling very blessed to be heading to Wyoming with that tag.
I drew a random one tag deal, too. When is the next flight to Vegas?

Ahead of next year’s price increase, point-dumpers were out in force.

NR General tag Special with 4 points: 29% successful
NR General tag Regular with 4 points: 9% successful
Absolutely.

Looks like total quota for General dropped about 1.75%
Reg PP Draw (general) first choice applicants dropped about -1.8% 6746 to 6624
Spec PP Draw (general) increased about 6.5% 2989 to 3182.

Next year I guess we will figure out how price sensitive people are.

I think the new tag caught a lot of would-be applicants off guard last year. I also think the change from 5-pt to 4-pt will surprise a lot of this year's tag holders.
Haven't elk hunted in WY in a few years. Didn't apply this year. Can someone please explain the elk antler restrictions? Just curious and didn't find anything in a quick search.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back