Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Elk - I need a lucky break

Congrats Randy, way to make the best of that second chance.

Nice work Randy, well earned.

Key to any hunting is getting out there every chance you get instead of coming up with excuses not to go.

Congrats.

Thanks, guys. Just getting organized to go retrieve the quarters.

Yesterday was a long day. Packed up the truck and was on the road from Bozeman by 5:00AM. Got here to Casper around noon. The wind was howling. Worse than any of the other days I had been here earlier in the hunt. A part of me thought about the futility of trying to hunt in that wind.

Drove to a spot where I knew I could glass some wind protected spots by climbing one of the higher ridges in the range. Allows you to look south and west, into many northeast facing slopes. Figured that was really the only option in that wind.

Climbed to the top of the ridge and the wind was brutal. Glassing was very difficult. I had to hold on to the tripod with both hands to keep the spotter stable enough that you could see anything. Even with that, having it dialed up beyond 15X was a waste of time.

A Hunt Talker from CO told me where he had shot a bull under similar conditions. I could glass those same ridges about two miles away and below. Nothing. But, it gave me confidence that some of these similar situated locations might have a bull.

The wind must have blown every day since the ten days I last hunted here. The ridges formerly burried under 20" of snow are now swept free. Huge drifts down off the east and northeast sides, but the ridge tops themselves give lots of options for feed.

I glassed for a couple hours, almost deciding to give up. The wind was blowing the tears out the corners of my eyes. No discernable audio could be heard above the wind noise. Fortunately, it was a warm temp, probably somewhere in the high 30's. If it were colder, it would have driven me off that ridge long before.

I am always amazed at how well animals can hide in the habitat. Elk in these big rock piles that sprout lots of brush and timber, are no exception. I had panned over this spot a dozen times and seen nothing. Now, a bull is standing in front of a big rock wall. I dial up the power to see what he is sporting and can see at least five points on one side. Good enough for me.

I watched the bull to see what he was doing - feeding, moving out, or what. He stood around picking at some grasses for a while. I glassed around and saw another antler moving. A bigger bull was bedded just to his left. That bull turned his head and I could see six nice points per side. Not a huge bull, but a very nice six point. Jackpot!

Now, I just need to plot a trail of how we get over there, where we set up a shot that won't be shooting directly into the setting sun, and do it before I lose filming light again. I confer with Mason, the camera guy. He says, "Screw the sun. We will find some way to make it work. But, we better get hauling it before the sun goes down."

There was one good ridge between us and the elk, and thankfully, way closer to the elk. So, with a lot of excitement and plenty of trepidation as to what it will take to haul one out if we shoot it, we dove off the ridge into the big rocky basin. Frozen rocks, covered with snow make for good downhill sledding, but tough to sidehill and a major pain to climb up.

It took us about 45 minutes to go that mile. I had made a mark of a big rock above the bulls. By keeping my eye on that, I could keep a heading that gave me comfort we would come out close to them. I glassed the big rock above where they had been and it told me 330 yards. Wow, we were much closer than I had hoped to get.

I motioned Mason to get on my trail and follow me to the small gap in the brush that crowned the crest of this ridge. As we got close, I could see the one bull standing. I ranged him. 265 yards. Some great rocks were ahead of us, giving us some cover to hide from the bulls who had the vision advantage, being above us by at least 100' of elevation on the opposing ridge.

I waved Mason forward to my position. He said he had a great clear shot from here. I told him I was moving forward to those nice flat shooting rocks, about five yards ahead.

The six pointer was still bedded and the 5X6 was standing next to him, as if asking him where they were going for dinner this evening. They had no idea we were there. We were getting some good footage, even with the wind blasting directly in our face. Where the elk were, the big rock pile to their back, things were probably pretty calm.

I ranged the standing bull. 248 yards. I set the dials to 250. I told Mason I was shooting the smaller bull, given the perfect broadside option he provided. He gave me the thumbs up. I turned and took the safety off. I snugged the rifle into my shoulder.

I don't even remember the shot. I remember the recoil and trying to get back on the bull. Mason is yelling that he is dead on his feet. Not taking any chances, I send one more bullet into the bull who is now facing directly toward me. With that shot, he collapses.

I usually don't get too wound up when an animal drops, but I think I spent as much energy yelling and jumping as I did hiking over there. The other bull stands and watches me and my celebration. He walks over three yards and looks at his buddy, almost as if to tell him it doesn't matter where they go for dinner tonight. Eventually, the other bull walks off.

I am so relieved, so excited, so happy. Like many have said, this hunt has been the most challenging elements we have been through. To come back, face similar conditions, yet find and shoot a bull, was more than I could have expected on this first day.

It took a half hour to scramble from our position, down the rocks and up the steep pile of boulders these elk had found as home. It was a fun climb, knowing what awaited.

When I got there, it was exactly what I expected. A 3.5 year old bull. A trophy beyond most any bulls I have ever shot, and not due to his size, but the efforts it has taken to find success.

Then the work began. Quarter and bag him under headlamps. Then, get the trim, tenderloins, and back straps loaded in my pack. That, along with all the other hunting and filming gear, made for more than a big enough load in the dark, over these slippery rocks and downed timber.

With a good night's rest, I am ready to head out and retrieve those quarters. Still lots of filming to do. Hope we can get it all done today and be on the road tomorrow. Bringing my ice fishing sled up the biggest ridge, as if I pack the quarters to the ridge top, I think I can haul them out in one big load by dragging them down the ridge in my sled.

Will give a report when we get back tonight.

Nice work Randy, well earned.

Key to any hunting is getting out there every chance you get instead of coming up with excuses not to go.

Congrats.

For sure. As one very smart Hunt Talker posted in Season One, as I was ready to bag the hunt in the 50 mph winds of Kansas, "You can't shoot one if you are home sitting on the couch."

Congratulations BigFin, you put in more time and effort into this one hunt than most of us put into a season. You deserve it! Determination is the word!

Congrats, Fin...you definitely deserved to put something on the ground....that bull being a pretty nice specimen just makes it that much better

Congrats--The quality of a trophy has a lot to do with what it took to get that trophy! This is a prime example--way to stick with it. You are a truly a great hunter!

Randy, you worked your tail off this year and really showed that hard work, determination and a true love love for the hunt will lead to big things. Congrats on a truly nice and well earned trophy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back