Wyoming draw results 2020

Curious... a guide told me a while back that the whitetails are more aggressive and will run the muley bucks off during the rut. So whitetail bucks breeding with muleys is a common occurence. Is that true?

Here in Saskatchewan, Mule Deer are pushing the Whitetails away. I see more and more Mulies where I used to see Whitetails and a resulting Whitetail decline in those spots. The Whitetails obviously don't disappear but I noticed they seem to simply avoid Mulies in general. From time to time I will spot a Whitetail doe mixed with Mulies but very rarely.

As for hybrids, I've read before that the offspring of a Whitetail and Mulie would obviously be a mutation and that chances are this particular deer would not reproduce, making them extremely rare. I've also found that deer, like humans, have different traits which don't necessarily make them hybrids, just a goofy looking Whitetail/Mulie.

As for hybrids, I've read before that the offspring of a Whitetail and Mulie would obviously be a mutation and that chances are this particular deer would not reproduce, making them extremely rare. I've also found that deer, like humans, have different traits which don't necessarily make them hybrids, just a goofy looking Whitetail/Mulie.
Yep. It can happen and occasionally does happen, but it’s very rare. Most “hybrids” that guys see or shoot are simply mule deer bucks that don’t grow a back fork.

Here in Saskatchewan, Mule Deer are pushing the Whitetails away. I see more and more Mulies where I used to see Whitetails and a resulting Whitetail decline in those spots. The Whitetails obviously don't disappear but I noticed they seem to simply avoid Mulies in general. From time to time I will spot a Whitetail doe mixed with Mulies but very rarely.

That is interesting info. Kills the idea that whitetails are more aggressive.

Sorry for the false excitement my bad! What area in Saskatchewan would you recommend for mule deer? Thanks

Don't Texas have them small ass deer? I want to call them tule but that is elk. Can't remember what my cousin said they were. I know sika deer have taken hold in some areas where they escaped from ranches years ago. I have family in the Baytown and in the west Texas area that keep trying to get me to visit for deer and hog hunting. My cousin works for a rancher out of El Paso a ways. Edit: Axis deer was what I was thinking of. Really a feral deer I heard.

Apparently, mule deer population in Wyoming has rebounded better than I realized. I settled for whitetail limited draw reduced price licenses just because I didn't think you could shoot muley does anywhere. When I first became a resident, that was true. Most of the time I just bought a general OTC license. I am a meat hunter so you won't see me chasing big trophy bucks a whole lot unless they walk into my view in the scope.
Are you thinking of coues deer? That's what we have here in az. Really small whitetail. The greatest species to hunt imo

Are you thinking of coues deer? That's what we have here in az. Really small whitetail. The greatest species to hunt imo

No. I checked my messages with my cousin. He was talking about axis deer which have established themselves in the wild after escaping from ranches who imported them for hunting.

No. I checked my messages with my cousin. He was talking about axis deer which have established themselves in the wild after escaping from ranches who imported them for hunting.

I have a friend who is wild about Axis deer and goes to Hawaii often. He’s tried to convince me to hunt axis deer over elk... not going to happen... ever. I’ve been invited a number of times to hunt with him in Hawaii. Not for me. I’ll stick to the traditional western big game. There’s no substitute in my opinion.

I have a friend who is wild about Axis deer and goes to Hawaii often. He’s tried to convince me to hunt axis deer over elk... not going to happen... ever. I’ve been invited a number of times to hunt with him in Hawaii. Not for me. I’ll stick to the traditional western big game. There’s no substitute in my opinion.

Exactly my train of thought. I am not into hunting exotic species. I don't necessarily condemn it, it just is not me. Well other than maybe Florida. I am thinking about visiting a childhood friend and going out with her husband and others to kill pythons for the bounties I hear being offered for removing them from certain areas. But for deer, I will stick with mulies as my preference and if those are not available, I will consider whitetails.

Sorry for the false excitement my bad! What area in Saskatchewan would you recommend for mule deer? Thanks

Only residents can hunt mule deer in Saskatchewan. The only way around that is to hunt with a Native guide on a reservation, I cannot speak for the quality of this type of hunt though.

Yep. It can happen and occasionally does happen, but it’s very rare. Most “hybrids” that guys see or shoot are simply mule deer bucks that don’t grow a back fork.

My experience with "hybrids" are guys who claim to have shot one based solely on the antlers (or the old "it had big ears"). That whitetail with split G2s isn't a mule deer and your mule deer with 6 inch eye guards isn't a whitetail, buddy...

I'm another long shot applicant. My wife was gracious enough to allow our 10 year anniversary to be a hunting trip. The vacation is happening with or without a tag. Might just have to find some good fishing

I honestly don’t mean to gloat and if this was posted by anyone else I would tell them to shut up, but I just drew my Hail Mary tag unit 60. Please tell me there’s not some terrible winter kill or an astroid hit that part of Wyoming. I put in for the special but still I figured I had about a .85% chance of drawing it. I don’t even know what to say right now. I’m still in shock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
I got hosed on my doe antelope draw, last year first choice pics was 83 apps, this year it exploded to 1264! WTH.

This will be the first year in a long time I won't have a WY tag in my pocket in some way.

Am i reading correctly that the license quota went way down in some units? Looking at 103, it had a quota of 184 in 2019 and only 54 for 2020- is that correct?

I struck out on buck and doe... was really hoping to go on my first antelope hunt

I applied for some very good draw rate areas and still struck out. I did get one doe tag but that was as a second choice 100% draw odds. Maybe ill be able to pick up another doe in the leftover pool

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back