Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

WSJ does a piece on long-range hunting

The B&C reticle is useful to about 500-600 yards, depending on the cartridge. Some cartridges less than that.

Guys have been taking 500 yard shots long before the current LR fad.

That's not to say 500 isn't long range to a lot of people. But I think if you were to ask the serious LR crowd, they'd tell you that a 500 yard shot isn't really considered "long range."

I do recognize there is a certain level of hypocrisy with the B&C reticle issue, but for me at least, those types of crosshairs help clean up shots that I'd probably be taking with just a standard duplex anyway.

I am not going to get into a hypothetical pizzing match with you but every one of your above statements could have a rebuttal.

With that said I've probably killed as many elk/deer measured in feet as anyone on this forum. This type of conversation where there is painting with a wide brush is just not beneficial to the hunting culture.....Period.

For every example that Jose and everyone else can give you about slob LR wanna bees, I can give you 2 examples of short distance shooters that should not be allowed to have a Big Game tag.

I and the people I hunt with are not LR HUNTERS, but we are very capable of a LR shot at a higher per cent success than most people with a big game tag at any distance you would consider not LR.

Well dang I'm quite the failure. I've only managed to get 320 yds out of my LR set up (some others have harvested out farther with it). I refuse to feel guilty for having a gun that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 sorry. It is amazing what you can learn about shooting and your own abilities after 400+ rounds. My opinion is that there are guys who have no business shooting past 200 and many Long Rangers who have no business shooting past 400.

Well dang I'm quite the failure. I've only managed to get 320 yds out of my LR set up (some others have harvested out farther with it). I refuse to feel guilty for having a gun that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 sorry. It is amazing what you can learn about shooting and your own abilities after 400+ rounds. My opinion is that there are guys who have no business shooting past 200 and many Long Rangers who have no business shooting past 400.

Very well said - don't give up on your practicing, after you have to rebarrel that LR set up of yours a couple of times, you're ability and confidence will more than double or triple.

Cowboy "With that said I've probably killed as many elk/deer measured in feet as anyone on this forum. This type of conversation where there is painting with a wide brush is just not beneficial to the hunting culture.....Period.

For every example that Jose and everyone else can give you about slob LR wanna bees, I can give you 2 examples of short distance shooters that should not be allowed to have a Big Game tag. "

Well said

I am not going to get into a hypothetical pizzing match with you but every one of your above statements could have a rebuttal.

With that said I've probably killed as many elk/deer measured in feet as anyone on this forum. This type of conversation where there is painting with a wide brush is just not beneficial to the hunting culture.....Period.

For every example that Jose and everyone else can give you about slob LR wanna bees, I can give you 2 examples of short distance shooters that should not be allowed to have a Big Game tag.

I and the people I hunt with are not LR HUNTERS, but we are very capable of a LR shot at a higher per cent success than most people with a big game tag at any distance you would consider not LR.

I always love it when people say they don't want to get in a pissing match and then punch out three paragraphs of their opinion.

IMG_5747.jpg
Well I hate using a rifle that puts the bullet right where you want it.. it's almost like, yeah - not hunting totally unfair.

Need a smaller scope, one without a turret.

Yes Lawnboy, that's why you are still a Walmart Ambassador. :) I certainly don't have any bad feelings against guys who have the equipment to shoot accurately at long distances. I've been putting some serious thought into tweeking my gun to improve its accuracy and be able to shoot accurately at longer distances. I don't actually care if a guy kills an animal at distances I have no business shooting at if he has the skills to do it.

I respect the guys that can shoot accurately at long ranges and don't feel the need to brag about the distance of the kill. Guys like the one I listen to at family gatherings bragging about spooking deer at 200 yards so they run out to 450 and then shoot them in the head...not so much.

When the distance of the shot is more significant than the quality of the hunt or appreciation of the game taken, I have to wonder why those guys don't just stick to steel targets.

Greenhorn, that's a great buck. Congrats to The Dude.

As an aside about scopes and turrets... After I helped Elkaholic pack his buck out, my daughter used my rifle to shoot at a whitetail doe at 100yds. Four shots, four clean misses, two of them so bad the deer didn't look up. She was in tears and couldn't believe what was happening. We quit hunting and I shot my gun. Turned out my CDS turret had turned two complete rounds while it was strapped onto my pack. It was two feet high at 100 yards. *&#$#@#%%long range equipment.

As an aside about scopes and turrets... After I helped Elkaholic pack his buck out, my daughter used my rifle to shoot at a whitetail doe at 100yds. Four shots, four clean misses, two of them so bad the deer didn't look up. She was in tears and couldn't believe what was happening. We quit hunting and I shot my gun. Turned out my CDS turret had turned two complete rounds while it was strapped onto my pack. It was two feet high at 100 yards. *&#$#@#%%long range equipment.

When I get my CDS scopes all set up, I'm going to get the zero stop for that very reason.

Turned out my CDS turret had turned two complete rounds while it was strapped onto my pack. It was two feet high at 100 yards. *&#$#@#%%long range equipment.

That is a real issue. You have to check every time you shoot and make sure. You also have to remember to turn it back after you have been out plinking at far distances. I feel for your daughter.

When the distance of the shot is more significant than the quality of the hunt or appreciation of the game taken, I have to wonder why those guys don't just stick to steel targets.

This. Sometimes it feels like to a lot of people, its more or less a d!c& measuring contest. I've seen forum topics recently that were more or less, "how far was your farthest kill".

Years and years ago when I worked at a sporting goods store I had a guy come in all sad. Seems he was walking a locked gate road and a buck jumped off the bank and in the road. Our hunter was looking for advice on sighting in his rifle. He had listened to his brother and sighted in dead on at 100 yards and said by the time he ran back up the road to get 100 yards from the deer it was gone. Think how CDS turrets could have helped but this was like 1978.

BTW this is a true story or at least best as I remember.

Years and years ago when I worked at a sporting goods store I had a guy come in all sad. Seems he was walking a locked gate road and a buck jumped off the bank and in the road. Our hunter was looking for advice on sighting in his rifle. He had listened to his brother and sighted in dead on at 100 yards and said by the time he ran back up the road to get 100 yards from the deer it was gone. Think how CDS turrets could have helped but this was like 1978.

BTW this is a true story or at least best as I remember.

...guess no one 'splained how the bullet would 'rise' at closer distances.;)

That is a real issue. You have to check every time you shoot and make sure. You also have to remember to turn it back after you have been out plinking at far distances. I feel for your daughter.
My friend can reach up and turn his dials with his trigger finger without even taking his cheek off the stock. One finger adjustment no zero stop and no cover caps. I'd have nightmares.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back