Yeti GOBOX Collection

WSJ does a piece on long-range hunting

If you state such fact on a podcast, expect your emails and FB messages to be on fire. Just stating from personal experience.

Hell, follow me around with a camera, and you could provide enough video to end Long Range Shooting (and all hunting) with video of wounded game and fat-assed "hunters" not following up shots. And that was just in the dozen days I hunted this fall. I can only imagine how many acts of "long range hunting" you saw.

Gotta love killing a golden goose....

The long range shooting craze is tied directly to fear of failure. We're always looking to increase our odds of success. Doesn't matter what it is. Better equipment for fishing, hunting, camping, golf, etc. Increasing your odds by way of equipment has been part of modern human society since, forever. Failure makes us feel bad, or makes us realize that we have to work harder, or suffer longer. Why bother when you can save yourself a hike, or a blown stalk with the latest improvements?

Agreed, filling a tag no matter how has become way too important than how the hunt happened to way too many. Also the need to attract followers, sponsors, pound your chest and all look at me types anymore does not help. Having shows/marketing programs entirely devoted to the long range craze also has led to the issue with the proliferation of people shooting at extended ranges.

Agreed, filling a tag no matter how has become way too important than how the hunt happened to way too many. Also the need to attract followers, sponsors, pound your chest and all look at me types anymore does not help. Having shows/marketing programs entirely devoted to the long range craze also has led to the issue with the proliferation of people shooting at extended ranges.

I have a hunch that you and I follow the same guy on Facebook, not sure if B-Stew does.

He posts pictures of big-ass critters every week, has a 1000+ "friends", and hash-tags the shit out of his posts, with all sorts of equipment "sponsors".

And then, every so often, he posts a picture of a UPS delivered box, thanking his "sponsor" for the equipment.

The guy is a good hunter, works incredibly hard 12 months a year, staying in shape and scouting for animals. No doubt. But, you can definitely tell he has "semi-commercialized" his own hunting....

It seems like a lot of people these days get really hung up on what they are capable of doing, and fail to ask themselves if they should.....

I blame a lot of this on the proliferation of military technology into the civilian market over the last 15 years. Wars start winding down and all those companies have to find new market sectors to buy their stuff, in this case, we might as well instill a sense of hubris in average shooters that with a little practice and a big credit card bill they to can kill at a country mile.

(wince as I click post)

The long range shooting craze is tied directly to fear of failure. We're always looking to increase our odds of success. Doesn't matter what it is. Better equipment for fishing, hunting, camping, golf, etc. Increasing your odds by way of equipment has been part of modern human society since, forever. Failure makes us feel bad, or makes us realize that we have to work harder, or suffer longer. Why bother when you can save yourself a hike, or a blown stalk with the latest improvements?

I think that's a pretty good statement regarding the fear of failure.

However, to be fair, I think a little discussion as to the "why" hunters feel the pressure of failing.

I think it runs deeper than just killing an animal or not. I think it comes from the way hunting has changed in the West due to the influx of applicants and the scarcity of tags. I also think the amount of money it takes to purchase NR tags, go with a guide, and all the other associated costs puts a lot pressure on hunters to succeed. As infrequently as the average guy draws a quality deer, elk, pronghorn, sheep, moose, etc. tag...there is a desire to do everything you can to increase your odds of success. Some hire outfitters, some take all their vacation time for the hunt, some choose a rifle over archery gear, etc. etc. and some also choose to refine their skills to extend their effective range with their firearm/bows. Are any of those things unethical? I don't know? But I don't blame people for stacking the deck in their favor when they draw a once in a lifetime tag either.

Point being that if I could draw, say, a sheep tag every year, I wouldn't give a chit if I had to hunt them without a guide, using grandpas 32/40 with open sights. However, when I will likely get a couple/three tags my entire life...yeah, probably not interested in packing that 32/40.

I think it was psinclair that said something to the effect that having the capability to shoot long range is a trump card that you can use when necessary and appropriate. I think what he was implying, was that it should be used sparingly and when/where a GOOD hunter finds it appropriate to pull that trump card.

Some guy going out with no other intention than simply making a LR shot on an animal, that's a totally different situation than a good hunter, with great shooting skills, using them on rare occasions to find success.

Personally, I will always try to cut as much distance as possible and will strive to never take a low percentage shot, near or far. Wounding and losing animals is what I fear the most about hunting.

Last edited:
I doubt that the average hunter on this forum that shoots long range has much in common with the average hunter I see out in the hills who is holding a LR rifle. As mtmuley said some on here have real hunting skills and shoot LR.

I'd be remiss if I didn't admit that my ethical standards seem to weaken with k9's and varmints.
Haven't really thought about why before

I have a hunch that you and I follow the same guy on Facebook, not sure if B-Stew does.

He posts pictures of big-ass critters every week, has a 1000+ "friends", and hash-tags the shit out of his posts, with all sorts of equipment "sponsors".

And then, every so often, he posts a picture of a UPS delivered box, thanking his "sponsor" for the equipment.

The guy is a good hunter, works incredibly hard 12 months a year, staying in shape and scouting for animals. No doubt. But, you can definitely tell he has "semi-commercialized" his own hunting....

Is this a guy that has a video of himself shooting a bull elk at 1000+ yards in Arizona and has such a bad flinch that he has his eyes closed when the shot goes off, then doesn't even bother trying to go find the bull that night because the terrain is just too rough? That guys the best! I'm sure the bull tasted great after laying on the ground till well after sunrise the next day and those antlers still looked cool while he was packing them out. But hey he made an awesome long range shot and filled his tag, that's what its all about!

Is there not a thirty ought six, trusty gold ring scope, and a shoulder season for some of you to enjoy - in between your sermons on hunting ethics?

Having shows/marketing programs entirely devoted to the long range craze also has led to the issue with the proliferation of people shooting at extended ranges.
From my understanding, these shows focusing on LR hunting actually exist because the LR equipment companies are the ones producing them. It is all part of their plan to increase the number of people who buy the LR gear.

I think it was psinclair that said something to the effect that having the capability to shoot long range is a trump card that you can use when necessary and appropriate. I think what he was implying, was that it should be used sparingly and when/where a GOOD hunter finds it appropriate to pull that trump card.

Some guy going out with no other intention than simply making a LR shot on an animal, that's a totally different situation than a good hunter, with great shooting skills, using them on rare occasions to find success.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I don't plan on stretching it out but if the opportunity or need arises, I can do it with absolute confidence.

"In a 2014 statement, the Boone and Crockett Club, a 129-year-old conservation and record-keeping group, said the club “finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt.”

Like :)

Anyone want to guess what a B&C reticle in a scope stands for, what it's intent is for, and who gets a royalty paid to them by a certain said scope manufacturer for every scope sold? - Just saying .........

And these were out long before Huskemaw was even developed, let alone manufactured.

Anyone want to guess what a B&C reticle in a scope stands for, what it's intent is for, and who gets a royalty paid to them by a certain said scope manufacturer for every scope sold? - Just saying .........

And these were out long before Huskemaw was even developed, let alone manufactured.

The B&C reticle is useful to about 500-600 yards, depending on the cartridge. Some cartridges less than that.

Guys have been taking 500 yard shots long before the current LR fad.

That's not to say 500 isn't long range to a lot of people. But I think if you were to ask the serious LR crowd, they'd tell you that a 500 yard shot isn't really considered "long range."

I do recognize there is a certain level of hypocrisy with the B&C reticle issue, but for me at least, those types of crosshairs help clean up shots that I'd probably be taking with just a standard duplex anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back