WSJ does a piece on long-range hunting

Simply, to achieve efficiency in a target shooting environment, sighting shots on a 1 MOA target are necessary even by the most experienced long range competitors using target rifles in a target range environment.

In closing, some of the finest serving professionals and long range competitors are not hitting a 1 MOA sized target with a respectable level of efficiency with first round shots. The vital zone of a deer is commonly equated to a 10” disk or the equivalent of the ten ring at 1000 yards. This data is compelling in that even the top of the pyramid of long range competitors, on average, require a 2 MOA sized target for first round shots to obtain an approximate 60%-78% level of efficiency.

Interesting that's what their data shows. I enjoy their analysis of what they have.

sb, something tells me you didn't get banned JUST for mentioning ethics. It amazes me people join the site then bitch about the sites focus. Even though it is a LR site, there is a ton of technical and shooting info the regular hunter can use. I've learned a lot there. There isn't a member there that cares if you hunt LR or not. But, if you bash what they do, they take exception. mtmuley

IMG_6039%203.jpg

Could have killed him at 500+, chose not to. As it turned out, the shot was really close. And that's just fine.

sb, something tells me you didn't get banned JUST for mentioning ethics. It amazes me people join the site then bitch about the sites focus. Even though it is a LR site, there is a ton of technical and shooting info the regular hunter can use. I've learned a lot there. There isn't a member there that cares if you hunt LR or not. But, if you bash what they do, they take exception. mtmuley

Exactly why I'm a member on the LR site even though I won't shoot over 300 yards.

Patrick, nice looking old goat(the white one, not wearing a cap...lol) You shoot him this fall?

This year my neighbor shot a bull at 590 yards at last light. He has a long range gun and has shot at animals out to 800. Being as it was last light he went back the next morning to look for his bull. Couldn't find it and chalked the shot up as a miss. Went back to the same spot the next day and realized he was looking in the wrong place. His bull was laying there dead. Meat was ruined.

The meat was ruined after the first night. Your neighbor shot at that bull, full well knowing he may not recover it that night. This is certainly not a glowing review of long range shooting or the neighbor for that matter.

Just watched a youtube video of a NV Elk hunt. The shot was far enough that when the first bullet hit 2' over the bedded bulls back, he just stood up wondering where the thunder was coming from. Second shot was under him. Third shot was "a good hit, I think it was a good hit". They found him two days later and finished him off.

There's a big difference between confidence and skill.

This, but where do you draw the line on what is long-range? They don't know you are there at 500 most likely and the elk sure did not know that I was there at 320, when I shot a cow the other day. This topic is a difficult one to define both ethically and mechanically.

They didn't know I was there at 20 yards when I stuck the arrow into it either. I think the B&C argument comes into play when you need a bunch of extra equipment and a computer to get the ballistics correct. If you can pull off the shot with your rifle/scope, bow/site without a bunch of extra technology it is hunting skill and considered fair chase. I very much respect their skill, but don't confuse that skill with hunting skill.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back