PEAX Equipment

Women's sleeping bag choices?

Sytes

Areas of focus: $$$, pack size, EN temp rating, comfort.

$$$ - we are looking at bags up to $300.
Pack size - it needs to stuff for backpacking not to exceed a 9"x18"(?) in a compression sack.
EN temp rating - Seems for women, the general rule is to add 12* to bag temp ratings(?). We are looking for a 0* rated bag. She would rather be too warm than slightly cool. We are also looking into packing a sleep liner as they are pretty darn light weight.
Comfort - mummies are not the greatest for comfort though within that design, some offer more room in areas at the expense of weight, etc.

She is 5'1" - around 120 lbs. Hope she does not read this... weight seems taboo regardless... haha!

Anyhow, we found two bags so far that hold interest. Down is great for pack ability though getting down wet is the death of the goose love. Waterproof shells are great though there it seems the $$$ skyrockets.

Here are the two on our radar thus far:
Kelty Cosmic 0*
http://www.campmor.com/kelty-cosmic...html?source=CI&ci_sku=43184&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=
43184_bla.jpg

North Face Snow leopard 0*
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___58750?cm_vc=PDPZ2
58750_gre.jpg

Summit, the golite pack is a great pack, just did not work sizing wise for her. We really liked it for function, etc... So if you have sleeping bag thoughts - don't hold back. :)

Our plan is to try suggested bags at stores and if their price is reasonably comparable to the online price - we will buy from the store. Otherwise, to the best price for the same item goes the winner.
Suggestions?

See if you can borrow a 0 degree bag from a friend and sleep in the bag for a couple of hours in the backyard. I have a 0 bag thinking was most likely going to only be comfortable to 20F. I burn up in a sweatly glob even with is 10 degrees outside so rarely use the 0 bag. My point...the temp ratings could be too high or low vs. how they perform when you use the bag.

My wife uses a 30° Mountain Hardware synthetic. We generally use it for 3 season canoe trips and she finds it more than satisfactory. I actually took it to Alaska this year as a second synthetic bag for spike camp, and the 30° rating is very acurate.

My main synthetic bag is a 20° The North Face Cat's Meow and I love it(when weight doesn't matter).

Do women require a different bag?

They don't require a different bed.

Do women require a different bag?

They don't require a different bed.

Q: Are women's sleeping bags worth it?

A: The short answer is yes, and the reasons are getting better and better. Sleeping-bag makers have finally figured out that women sleep colder than men and have different anatomies. Women's bags are now built to reflect those differences, with narrower shoulders, wider hips, and extra insulation in the upper body and foot box.
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-girl/Are-womens-sleeping-bags-worth-it.html

If there are design settings specific for a woman, it is worth exploring.

I have the GoLite Adventure 4-Season 650+ fill goose down. Have spent a dozen nights in it from 4 to 40 degrees very comfortably. Very packable, light weight and it accommodates my wide midsection quite well. Just a heads up, steepandcheap has Exped sleeping pads for $34 size small. Good Deal.

When looking to replace a very worn sleeping bag (North Face rated 0 degrees) and needing more warmth up here in Montana, I shopped for bags. Preferring natural fibers, I finally opted for a king size down comforter similar to this one, with Siberian White Down, for about the same price - $120.00. It has a 650 fill power. I borged it with snaps so that I can open it up as well. Mummy bags freak my legs out, I am a sprawler. It fits nicely in my stuff sack, with a silk liner, and works great in the frigid Montana weather.
I am female, 5'7' and 125 lbs with a thin frame that needs warmth - except when having a hot flash ;)

No specific recommendations but when I was in the market, Marmot, Big Agnes, and Western Mountaineering all had solid products in contention.

I have been impressed with the REI branded products as well. Pretty solid from a durability standpoint, seldom ULTRA light, but not a tank either. Worth a look .

Big Agnes bags tend to have much nicer foot bed room. Women like it because they toss and turn more. The foot bed is bigger because of the need to be to use the Big Agnes pad inside the sleeve made into the bag. Nice system, keeps you from rolling off the pad. I have a 0 degree Agnes and a North face Snowshoe and the wife hates the snowshoe because of the tighter footbed. Come to think of it I feel the same way. I have them both because one is down and the other is synth.

Last edited:
Back