Help narrow sleeping bag choices

smokey24_24

I want to upgrade my sleeping bag to a nice down bag. I've researched quite a few options and it's getting to the point of information overload! If you have experience with any of these options please let me know pros/cons. Also any help in deciding if one is truly worth the additional cost over the others. All of these are similar in weight and fill power. Main concerns are weight and warmth. The Nemo bag is slightly heavier but may be the best value from price to warmth???

KUIU Down Bag

Rab Mythic Bag

Nemo Sonic Bag (on sale for ($411 when added to cart)

Sea to Summit Bag

Feathered Friends Bag

These all look like great options to stay warm during Oct/Nov Colorado/Montana backpack hunts...appreciate any feedback to help narrow down these choices. Thanks!

Not sure about those brands, my secret was REI used website for sleeping bags, worth checking it out, they have amazing deals often

Aside from the ones you listed, the Klymit KSB bags are pretty good, especially if you’re a bigger person. I bought the 0 degree bag and it kept me warm in a CO November hunt. I bought the 20 degree bag for warmer weather. Has good fill and some synthetic for the foot box. It will pack but it’s not the best packer.

Nemo bags are good from what I hear but their large bags are not enough for my shoulders. If they made the shoulders bigger I’d consider a Nemo

I’ve always wanted a Feathered Friends bag. Chickened out and bought a Marmot bag with an REI discount instead. I still want the Feathered Friends Snowbunting.

I have 2 viam outdoors quilt. One is a 0 degree and one is a 32. Great price point and they are very warm. I’ve had the 0 quilt down to -13 and the 32 down to 24 and was cozy in both.

I’ve always wanted a Feathered Friends bag. Chickened out and bought a Marmot bag with an REI discount instead. I still want the Feathered Friends Snowbunting.
The price tag is what is keeping me hesitant with the Feathered Friends. Heard nothing but good things though. I also don't have a clue the difference between the Snowbunting and Ibis or any of their other expensive bags.

The price tag is what is keeping me hesitant with the Feathered Friends. Heard nothing but good things though. I also don't have a clue the difference between the Snowbunting and Ibis or any of their other expensive bags.
Mostly size. They offer roomier versions at the same temp rating, at least for their 4-season bags.

I read nothing but great things about feathered friends or western mountaineering. I got lucky and found a used North Face 850 fill locally 😃

I have a Feathered Friends 30 degree down bag. Good quality bag, but I would definitely go with a lower temperature rating one, if I could do it over.

I have a Feathered Friends 30 degree down bag. Good quality bag, but I would definitely go with a lower temperature rating one, if I could do it over.
What do you feel is the real comfort temp for that bag? Basically how much off is feathered friends on their ratings?

I almost bought a Lark a few years ago and ended up with a WM Versalite instead. I’ve been inside the Lark, looked at the mythic in person at a local store but that’s it. Of those bags the FF is the nicest by quite a bit. All are fine.
IME quality is worth it, I’ve used the crap out of a Valandre Mirage for about 12 years now and it’s still great.

SOMETIMES a military surplus store has ALASKA/ ARTIC military bags Ch e a p ....and they work !!!
had one for years.think I paid about $30. 25 years ago.
just a thought...........

Yea I'd prefer a bag and not a quilt.
I have a Enlightend equipment 10 degree convert quilt. It can be a quilt or zips up to be a sleeping bag. Just a thought! Can't help with the specific bags you listed but I'm usually happy with most sea to summit and Nemo gear I have.

If your not going to pack it in on your back. You might look up Wiggy's. He builds great gear. Not down thou. Any temp. bag you need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back