Help narrow sleeping bag choices

What do you feel is the real comfort temp for that bag? Basically how much off is feathered friends on their ratings?
I think 20 degrees warmer than the bag rating is generally the comfort temp, though it varies by person/layering/pad etc.

I have a thermarest xtherm and a marmot helium that is 11 years old, I run pretty cold but with layering have been comfortable sleeping down to 15 degrees maybe a bit lower… the decent sized creek we were camping near froze over during the night so whatever temp that is… merino wool + synthetic insulation seems to work best for me.

I’m in the market for a new bag though and I’m probably going with a WM… I think in the 0-5 degree range, will then use the marmot mostly for early season trips.

Also I’ve been really impressed by the REI bags, the magma is pretty great at that price point.

I think 20 degrees warmer than the bag rating is generally the comfort temp, though it varies by person/layering/pad etc.

I have a thermarest xtherm and a marmot helium that is 11 years old, I run pretty cold but with layering have been comfortable sleeping down to 15 degrees maybe a bit lower… the decent sized creek we were camping near froze over during the night so whatever temp that is… merino wool + synthetic insulation seems to work best for me.

I’m in the market for a new bag though and I’m probably going with a WM… I think in the 0-5 degree range, will then use the marmot mostly for early season trips.

Also I’ve been really impressed by the REI bags, the magma is pretty great at that price point.

Agree that the REI magmas are impressive for the $ if not spending for top tier like WM/FF. If the dimensions work, I like the womens versions as they use a little more down than the mens version to reach the same rating. The mens (especially the warmer weather one) could use a little more down IMO to keep the baffles full and lofty.

WM or Feathered friends if you don't want to wonder if you're missing out. I have the alpinlite and Kodiak. Kodiak hardly ever gets used because once keeping water liquid is a challenge I have a hard time convincing myself that backpack hunting is worth the squeeze.
I've struggled with the same over the last couple years. Is backpack hunting vs. returning to base camp worth the squeeze???? Not sure but I know that I hate having to hike back to base camp some nights. I'm thinking from now on it I will use a combination of the two styles. Maybe others have advice to offer?

I've struggled with the same over the last couple years. Is backpack hunting vs. returning to base camp worth the squeeze???? Not sure but I know that I hate having to hike back to base camp some nights. I'm thinking from now on it I will use a combination of the two styles. Maybe others have advice to offer?

I think it's very location, season, species, and person specific. Most of my Oct/Nov western rifle hunting experience is for elk in MT. With how long it's dark and how cold it gets at night, it's absolutely worth it for me to walk in/out 2 or 3 miles a day (which is close to my limit for packing an elk out most of the time) to be able to dry out and be comfy in a heated canvas tent or hotel/airbnb, not worry about keeping water liquid or finding and filtering, eat well, and put my feet in warm dry boots in the morning. There have been minimal occasions where I see it beneficial to do an overnighter in a backpack camp but it certainly can happen.

I went with the Versalite specifically since I backpack hunt (solo). It came down to the best compromise between added warmth and added weight. I have other dual purpose items that can bridge the gap to lower temps while still staying comfortable. Look at it in terms of your overall sleep system and your existing layering system.

I went with the Versalite specifically since I backpack hunt (solo). It came down to the best compromise between added warmth and added weight. I have other dual purpose items that can bridge the gap to lower temps while still staying comfortable. Look at it in terms of your overall sleep system and your existing layering system.
I'm assuming your talking about sleep liners, down clothing, booties, etc?? If so how much do those items realistically add to the overall temp rating of the system?

Liner adds 5-7, and up to 10 deg, to the bag rating depending on liner. I am guessing my liner is in the 5-7 range. For me, if my feet get cold, then I really feel the cold elsewhere. Down booties give me at least 5 degrees of added rating, maybe a bit more, but that is very subjective. Next weakest link is my core. I will wear a fleece shirt followed by a down vest as the temps drop beyond just my base layers. Only once have I had to wear my pants and a jacket beyond the above and that was when the temps were -12 deg F. This for a 10-deg rated bag. I wasn't necessarily warm and cozy but wasn't shivering either. That said, everyone is different, I tend to sleep warm so what works for me may not work for others. Above about 25 deg, I just use my bag as a down blanket and sleep in the liner. It is also key to insulate yourself from the ground as much as possible. One of my worst hunting trips was when I forgot my thermarest pad at home.

I want to upgrade my sleeping bag to a nice down bag. I've researched quite a few options and it's getting to the point of information overload! If you have experience with any of these options please let me know pros/cons. Also any help in deciding if one is truly worth the additional cost over the others. All of these are similar in weight and fill power. Main concerns are weight and warmth. The Nemo bag is slightly heavier but may be the best value from price to warmth???

KUIU Down Bag

Rab Mythic Bag

Nemo Sonic Bag (on sale for ($411 when added to cart)

Sea to Summit Bag

Feathered Friends Bag

These all look like great options to stay warm during Oct/Nov Colorado/Montana backpack hunts...appreciate any feedback to help narrow down these choices. Thanks!
I have a FEATHERED FRIENDS Swift UL 20 Sleeping Bag on here for $475 TYD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back