Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
Cervid 19 has been affecting me since about September of last year . . .
I was just looking at hunting black bear out west idaho or arizona this spring and now with states like Texas shutting border by requiring self quarantine 14 days or till you leave state wonder if I could make it across without having to stop. I think more travel restrictions will be coming and then I will be stuck. At least ohio still allows hunting and fishing. Went fishing with boys and everyone was spaced 6 ft apart. Kind of nice to fish and not be shoulder to shoulder.

I was just looking at hunting black bear out west idaho or arizona this spring and now with states like Texas shutting border by requiring self quarantine 14 days or till you leave state wonder if I could make it across without having to stop. I think more travel restrictions will be coming and then I will be stuck. At least ohio still allows hunting and fishing. Went fishing with boys and everyone was spaced 6 ft apart. Kind of nice to fish and not be shoulder to shoulder.
Idaho has travel restrictions now under Stay at Home. Interpretation varies by county. One county doesn’t care, the next county the sheriff is pulling cars over and telling them to go home.

Idaho has travel restrictions now under Stay at Home. Interpretation varies by county. One county doesn’t care, the next county the sheriff is pulling cars over and telling them to go home.
Gotta go to CDA tomorrow. Have a link to any info? Thanks, mtmuley

I've been in the "no changes planned" camp and probably still am - but I'm really starting to wonder whats going to happen if this thing picks back up in the fall...already seeing some local animosity towards out of town anglers on a few sites and some states closing fishing and spring bear hunting to minimize travel and disease spread. Fall and winter hunts will bring much larger numbers of non-residents to all kinds of rural areas across the west...will states face pressure to close hunting to keep the influx of people (and disease) out? I'm betting some states are at least starting to think about how they will plan for the fall.

Fall and winter hunts will bring much larger numbers of non-residents to all kinds of rural areas across the west...will states face pressure to close hunting to keep the influx of people (and disease) out? I'm betting some states are at least starting to think about how they will plan for the fall.

States are in a tough spot if they keep the NR hunters out (1) hope the Feds underwrite the wildlife budget when fees are refunded or (2) they can raise tag fees on the residents to make up the budget hole over a few years. My guess is unless the Feds restrict travel, the hunting season will received the "essential" labeled like the pot distributors in CO.

I’ll likely just apply for premier long shots. Bigger concern is blown out rotator cuff, but not wild about travel with this virus about.

States are in a tough spot if they keep the NR hunters out (1) hope the Feds underwrite the wildlife budget when fees are refunded or (2) they can raise tag fees on the residents to make up the budget hole over a few years. My guess is unless the Feds restrict travel, the hunting season will received the "essential" labeled like the pot distributors in CO.

If they cancel hunts they’ll have to do more than issue refunds.

heard that nebraska just suspended NR turkey hunting this spring

i didn't confirm but i don't doubt it

heard that nebraska just suspended NR turkey hunting this spring

i didn't confirm but i don't doubt it
You’re correct, they’ve suspended the sale of non res turkey permits. However any non res permit purchased before today is still valid and can be used from what I’ve read and heard locally here in Lincoln.

I originally said no. But that changed this week. WDFW has suspended my spring bear tag, it'll likely be canceled. They're already offering refunds, but I scored on minimal points, I was the hunt back. So far that's not an option. Youth turkey is cancelled, they'll cancel general turkey next week. Fishing is canceled. WA Public lands are mostly closed (all state lands and all federal trailheads).

If anything I'm going to go out on a limb and say, if I can legally travel I'm swinging for the fences. I'm applying for sheep, deer, multiple states, shit I might try to book an AK hunt.

I usually just apply for elk maybe pronghorn out-of-state, but this shutdown has really enlightened me to the frailty of my dreams. I dream about hunts, fishing trips, and general outdoor adventures across this continent and planet. I've always assumed there are some things I can count on, some trends that I can expect to continue, and that if I save and plan wisely, if I continue to fight for public lands, that I'll be able to check many of these adventures off the list over the remainder of my life. However, as I type this I'm looking at a world and a future that doesn't look anything like it did two months ago. From my perspective those certainties are no longer certain. People, both those in power, in cities far away, and my own peers and neighbors, can completely take away the freedoms I cherish so dearly, all out of fear of the unknown and in an attempt to completely the eliminate risk of death.

As someone who plays in places and in ways that require some planning, some plan B's, and a healthy dose of risk management, someone who's been to the edge, thought the end was eminent, made my peace, and came out alive, I apparently take for granted the ability to manage the risk of my own death. Risk of death is not the end of the world, we will all die- it is unavoidable, and while death should be treated with care, considered and weighed with the benefits, it should also not be used as a source of fear.

Not knowing what the future holds, what the next perceived threat will bring, I'm done waiting until I can afford it, waiting until it fits my schedule, I'm reevaluating, reallocating, and making my dreams a reality sooner rather than later.

I originally said no. But that changed this week. WDFW has suspended my spring bear tag, it'll likely be canceled. They're already offering refunds, but I scored on minimal points, I was the hunt back. So far that's not an option. Youth turkey is cancelled, they'll cancel general turkey next week. Fishing is canceled. WA Public lands are mostly closed (all state lands and all federal trailheads).

If anything I'm going to go out on a limb and say, if I can legally travel I'm swinging for the fences. I'm applying for sheep, deer, multiple states, shit I might try to book an AK hunt.

I usually just apply for elk maybe pronghorn out-of-state, but this shutdown has really enlightened me to the frailty of my dreams. I dream about hunts, fishing trips, and general outdoor adventures across this continent and planet. I've always assumed there are some things I can count on, some trends that I can expect to continue, and that if I save and plan wisely, if I continue to fight for public lands, that I'll be able to check many of these adventures off the list over the remainder of my life. However, as I type this I'm looking at a world and a future that doesn't look anything like it did two months ago. From my perspective those certainties are no longer certain. People, both those in power, in cities far away, and my own peers and neighbors, can completely take away the freedoms I cherish so dearly, all out of fear of the unknown and in an attempt to completely the eliminate risk of death.

As someone who plays in places and in ways that require some planning, some plan B's, and a healthy dose of risk management, someone who's been to the edge, thought the end was eminent, made my peace, and came out alive, I apparently take for granted the ability to manage the risk of my own death. Risk of death is not the end of the world, we will all die- it is unavoidable, and while death should be treated with care, considered and weighed with the benefits, it should also not be used as a source of fear.

Not knowing what the future holds, what the next perceived threat will bring, I'm done waiting until I can afford it, waiting until it fits my schedule, I'm reevaluating, reallocating, and making my dreams a reality sooner rather than later.
Well said! A great man once said: The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Gunnison county sheriff closed public lands to non residents for public health concerns. If this drags on or starts back up in the fall this could be huge.
Likely if it starts up next fall winter again it won’t be until December/January . But who the hell knows anymore

I'm restructuring my fall strategy that's for sure. Was planning to dump a decade worth of points on a Gunnison deer unit, but too much of a gamble at this point. Will now wait to see what happens with NM draw across 4 species and start some OTC contingency planning in earnest. Points for me this year, for folks coming from the East - this is turning out to be huge.

Well, we have elk apps out to both MT and WY. Just put in for the MT tag yesterday. If we draw the MT tag later this month, we’ll just withdraw from the WY draw. Then we’ll see what happens. If by August things still look uncertain, we’ll probably just send back the MT tags for the 80% refund.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back