Caribou Gear

I'm 20 years old. What's your excuse?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40643
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40643

Well here we go, another season is upon us. Yes you read that right I'm a whopping 20 years old and still a kid in the eyes of most everyone. I'm going to try and start this "journal", if you want to call it that, to try and motivate people to step out of their comfort zones and see that it is possible at any age to go and hunt. Now, I know what your thinking, and yes I have bills just like you. Rent, utilities, insurance, phone, a truck payment, WiFi, etc and in my "young and dumb" age I bought a RZR to scoot around the mountains so I even have that payment. No I don't have kids so I can't speak to that specific situation but I hope my adventures give you enough hope and motivation to work around those different situations.

Now I suppose I should give you a little bit of information on who I am. I’m 5th generation, living in a small town of under 3000 people. I've been very blessed to live 15 minutes from “The elk hunting capital of the world”. Literally. I also guide hunts when I don't have a tag of my own. I was blessed to be born and brought up in a family heavily involved in the outdoors. I was born in December and the following October my father had me in a backpack style baby carrier with his 30-06 in his hand chasing elk. I'll try not to brag too much but I've been lucky enough to kill 3 nice muley’s and a good 5X6 elk with my bow as well as a couple small bulls and a handful of cows with my 30-06. I never gave my dad enough credit about his knowledge and skill because he was with me every time I squeezed the trigger. Then I turned 16. My best friend and I decided to go out on our own. Let me tell you, I haven't killed anything since! This year is the year that spell ends.

Here's my 2019 hunting schedule not including any guiding or family I’m taking:

• Colorado Archery Antelope (Starting August 15)
  • Colorado OTC Archery Elk ( Starting August 31)
  • Colorado OTC Archery Bear (Starting September 2)
  • Colorado 2nd Season Rifle Mule Deer (Starting October 19)
  • Arizona Rifle Coues Deer (Starting November 29)

I’m going to try my absolute hardest to be diligent in keeping up on this. Hopefully anyone can follow this step by step and feel like they can do exactly what I’m doing!

Now I suppose I should give you a little bit of information on who I am. I’m 5th generation, living in a small town of under 3000 people. I've been very blessed to live 15 minutes from “The raghorn hunting capital of the world”. Literally.

Fixed it for ya....lol. :LOL::ROFLMAO::)

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum and I wish you luck. I'll be honest, when I read your title I thought, "You've got it backwards. You have the least excuses of most of us!" Sure you have bills, but as you said, you don't have kids and I speculate you don't have a wife looking to have you back home either. Not to mention living somewhere like Colorado as compared to somewhere on the east coast. I know life ain't ever easy, but it's not going to get easier to get out and hunt than it is right now for you for a long time yet.

Stick around and contribute to the other threads so we can get to know you a bit more. Best of luck!

Looks like you are on the right track. Welcome to the forum and excited to hear about your success this fall.

Well here we go, another season is upon us. Yes you read that right I'm a whopping 20 years old and still a kid in the eyes of most everyone. I'm going to try and start this "journal", if you want to call it that, to try and motivate people to step out of their comfort zones and see that it is possible at any age to go and hunt. Now, I know what your thinking, and yes I have bills just like you. Rent, utilities, insurance, phone, a truck payment, WiFi, etc and in my "young and dumb" age I bought a RZR to scoot around the mountains so I even have that payment. No I don't have kids so I can't speak to that specific situation but I hope my adventures give you enough hope and motivation to work around those different situations.

Now I suppose I should give you a little bit of information on who I am. I’m 5th generation, living in a small town of under 3000 people. I've been very blessed to live 15 minutes from “The elk hunting capital of the world”. Literally. I also guide hunts when I don't have a tag of my own. I was blessed to be born and brought up in a family heavily involved in the outdoors. I was born in December and the following October my father had me in a backpack style baby carrier with his 30-06 in his hand chasing elk. I'll try not to brag too much but I've been lucky enough to kill 3 nice muley’s and a good 5X6 elk with my bow as well as a couple small bulls and a handful of cows with my 30-06. I never gave my dad enough credit about his knowledge and skill because he was with me every time I squeezed the trigger. Then I turned 16. My best friend and I decided to go out on our own. Let me tell you, I haven't killed anything since! This year is the year that spell ends.

Here's my 2019 hunting schedule not including any guiding or family I’m taking:

• Colorado Archery Antelope (Starting August 15)
  • Colorado OTC Archery Elk ( Starting August 31)
  • Colorado OTC Archery Bear (Starting September 2)
  • Colorado 2nd Season Rifle Mule Deer (Starting October 19)
  • Arizona Rifle Coues Deer (Starting November 29)
I’m going to try my absolute hardest to be diligent in keeping up on this. Hopefully anyone can follow this step by step and feel like they can do exactly what I’m doing!
Good luck and be careful out there.

Good luck; I hope you have a successful season. At the risk of sounding like an old man (I'm in my twenties), you might also want to consider that living in Colorado and not having a wife or kids eliminates so many obstacles (not just financial) to hunting that you might want to be careful about thinking that some people just have excuses to keep them out of the field.

Here is the thing about insulting a young guy, he might take a swing at you. On the other hand, insulting an old guy is more dangerous as he might pull a knife or gun. Functioning, lucid adults have all sorts of obligations and for the most part make rational decisions on how to spend time and money. Not sure about the excuses being a major issue in the hunting community. Now, if you want to talk about who is the realest, purest hunter then that has legs as pit bowhunters that use wheels vs recurves vs those that carve arrows and chip arrowheads from stone then the inline muzzleloaders types vs flintlockers then the 1000 yard guys with magnums vs. the .270 types. That will stir the pot though momma said if you stir the pot then you get first lick of the spoon.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back