Will market volatility and or heath concerns with the virus influence your western hunting plans

Will stock market volatility and the virus curb you from heading West to hunt?

• To much financial risk and or health risk in traveling - not going this year

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Risky, will apply and decide later whether to go

Votes: 60 19.0%
  • Not concerned, headed west with no changes planned

Votes: 232 73.7%

• Total voters
As of right now, I still plan on doing a OTC in Colorado this September. About the only way I will not go is if my building is hit with Covid-19. I work in Senior Living and it is a pretty big deal for this particular population. Most communities have gone on lockdown and pretty much will not allow any visitors except for extreme cases, such as a love one at the end of their life. Pretty crazy.

This was my first season to go out and all the hunter safety courses are canceled. Now I'm wondering if all the good tags will be taken by the time I'm able to licensed...

If I can get a decent tag, I'll still be going.

This was my first season to go out and all the hunter safety courses are canceled. Now I'm wondering if all the good tags will be taken by the time I'm able to licensed...

I know states like CO are doing something so that you can still apply and take your class later. Or just do the Texas one.

I suspect his year will have a ton of leftover tags.

If it's your first season you will only be in the running for elk, deer, and pronghorn anyway and you can always get a tag somewhere as late as the day before the season.

Wow, I didn't know that was happening. Those small towns are where I grew up. Koochiching and LOW Counties have very little medical infrastructure. An outbreak in that area would be a disaster.

Commissioner Skoe is a very conservative guy, a logger who operates the same areas where by brother's logging company operates. Skoe also owns a lumberyard in Northome. For him to be the vocal leader to that kind of resolution shows the concern rural folks have about a three-week influx of mostly urban/suburban fishermen coming to a rural area for a seasonal event, the spawning walleyes running up the Rainy River from Lake of the Woods.

That fishing run is a huge traditional event that is one of my earliest fishing memories as a child. This would be very hard on some local bait shops, bars, and restaurants. But, likely not as hard on the area as would be a virus outbreak where the local elderly population is over 35% and has hardly any infrastructure to handle such.

I wonder if other rural areas with similar aging demographics and low medical infrastructure will exercise the same principles if this is still hanging over us when hunting season arrives. That would be a game changer.

Right now, Alaska has implemented a 14-day quarantine for anyone coming into Alaska. It runs until late April. If it is extended, to cover my May black bear hunt, I will have to cancel, as none of us can budget the time to allow for 14 extra days of quarantine upon arrival and then go on a week-long bear hunt. Fingers crossed all passes by then, but it might be a sign of how rural areas with higher elderly populations have to respond to protect their populations from travelers who often come from urban/suburban areas with much younger average ages.

That has nothing to do with the market fluctuations, the topic of this thread, but this could be a reality if the CV-19 concerns persist later into the year.

Wow, I didn't know that was happening. Those small towns are where I grew up. Koochiching and LOW Counties have very little medical infrastructure. An outbreak in that area would be a disaster.

Commissioner Skoe is a very conservative guy, a logger who operates the same areas where by brother's logging company operates. Skoe also owns a lumberyard in Northome. For him to be the vocal leader to that kind of resolution shows the concern rural folks have about a three-week influx of mostly urban/suburban fishermen coming to a rural area for a seasonal event, the spawning walleyes running up the Rainy River from Lake of the Woods.

That fishing run is a huge traditional event that is one of my earliest fishing memories as a child. This would be very hard on some local bait shops, bars, and restaurants. But, likely not as hard on the area as would be a virus outbreak where the local elderly population is over 35% and has hardly any infrastructure to handle such.

I wonder if other rural areas with similar aging demographics and low medical infrastructure will exercise the same principles if this is still hanging over us when hunting season arrives. That would be a game changer.

Right now, Alaska has implemented a 14-day quarantine for anyone coming into Alaska. It runs until late April. If it is extended, to cover my May black bear hunt, I will have to cancel, as none of us can budget the time to allow for 14 extra days of quarantine upon arrival and then go on a week-long bear hunt. Fingers crossed all passes by then, but it might be a sign of how rural areas with higher elderly populations have to respond to protect their populations from travelers who often come from urban/suburban areas with much younger average ages.

That has nothing to do with the market fluctuations, the topic of this thread, but this could be a reality if the CV-19 concerns persist later into the year.
I work up in this area a lot and have many clients whom I’ve canceled/postponed appointments with the last few weeks . All are very concerned , like you stated its 35-40% elderly people and not enough hospitals. It would be horrific if the disease made its way up there .

I expect you’ll see a lot of public accesses closed here soon.

I expect you’ll see a lot of public accesses closed here soon.
Yes the point was, regardless of market volatility, outdoor recreation is being affected already. Could also expand into hiking, shed hunting, and dispersed camping if things continue at this pace.

This poll is rapidly changing! I think initially about 95% of people were saying CV-19 would have no affect on their hunting plans. it's down to 77% now and I'm sure if a new poll were cast that it could be even lower. I wonder how the virus may affect in state applications?

This poll is rapidly changing! I think initially about 95% of people were saying CV-19 would have no affect on their hunting plans. it's down to 77% now and I'm sure if a new poll were cast that it could be even lower. I wonder how the virus may affect in state applications?

My gut is instate apps will increase and out of state apps will take a massive hit.

Probably the year to go for out-of-state MSG apps, but I bet in-state draw odds for those will plummet.

My gut is instate apps will increase and out of state apps will take a massive hit.

Probably the year to go for out-of-state MSG apps, but I bet in-state draw odds for those will plummet.

I don't know about the last part, I think all applications will be down, even in state. With belt tightening, probably wont be as many residents as apt to apply for kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandpa, grandma, etc.

I think all draw odds will be better, across the board.

Not as clean as a new poll, but just to point out for those who didn't know, users can go back and change their vote.

I don't know about the last part, I think all applications will be down, even in state. With belt tightening, probably wont be as many residents as apt to apply for kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandpa, grandma, etc.

I think all draw odds will be better, across the board.

CO Sheep.

1585154466326.png
1585154436513.png
1585154412126.png

I talked to a hunting consultant on Monday, apps r up for them for Montana.

I think everyone thinks "Oh man the economy is going down app are going to be lower, this is gonna be my year" and then we get a 10% uptick.

I'm putting my money on point creep this year. If you get a better than expected tag this year in CO it's going to be from the Reissued Tag list.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back